Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Re: 3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936 REVIEWS

Guest · 205 · 53143

Offline locoboymakesgood

I got mine, had a hell of a time finding it though. I got mine at Fry's Electronics, and after looking in the Comedy section and seeing just the old collections, I was pissed thinking they sold out.. I called earlier today and they had 4 copies in, but the dickhead I spoke to on the phone refused to hold me a copy.

After stumbling around the vast DVD section, I found two copies left... in the Television section?? It wasn't even placed with the older Stooges discs. But I got it, all for only 19.99. I'm ecstatic, I just finished Three Little Beers and now I'm onto Pardon My Scotch.

This is the greatest DVD ever.. PLEASE release a Volume 2...
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hammond Eggar

This is the greatest DVD ever.. PLEASE release a Volume 2...

I couldn't agree with you more!  I'm gradually making my way through the shorts.  So far I've viewed Woman Haters, Punch Drunks, Pop Goes the Easel and Three Little Beers.  I am greatly impressed with the remastering job.  Sony can be proud of this package, and so can us fans.  They've finally done right by the Stooges, and by us, as well.  I really feel for those of you still waiting for your copies in the mail.  That said, I am glad to see that I'm not the only person who drove all over town looking for a copy.  Of course, the Stooges are worth it.  I kinda figured some stores would be stocking the set, even if they are just carrying a small number of them.  I just couldn't imagine waiting for it to arrive in the mail.  Besides, I wanted to make an appearance in store.  I assume, the more they sell in store, the more likely these place will be to stock future titles. ;D :laugh:

HAPPY STOOGING, EVERYONE!!! [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Even though I was only supposed to watch Horror movie tonight...I just had to see how the disks looked.   ;D

I watched the first two-three minutes of "Woman Haters" and "Ants in the Pantry".  My jaw hit the floor as to how clean and beautiful the images looked!  I've seen DVD's for movies made in the 70's/80's/90's that had worse picture quality and "Woman Haters" is 73 years OLD!!

Sony is the master when it comes to restoring old movies in my opinion.  I don't see how anyone could do a better job.

Thursday is going to be a very fun day.   8)
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Pat The Stooge

Got one question? Does this 1934-36 collection contain Movie Maniacs uncut with the kissing seqences?

If it does, I'll buy this collection for christmas.

xraffle

Got one question? Does this 1934-36 collection contain Movie Maniacs uncut with the kissing seqences?

If it does, I'll buy this collection for christmas.

Yes it does.

JH24

I wonder how many units the Canadian version of Amazon ordered because the sales rank is #24 and there are only 4 sets left in stock with more on the way. This is great for the future of this series that volume 1 is selling so well and to think the marketing of this set has been pretty much non-existent.

xraffle

Another review hits the web:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/3_stooges_collection_vol._1.htm

Karma point for you! That is the best review yet. I love all those screenshots. I can't wait to receive my set. It looks like it's going to be the best $20 I've ever spent.

Offline Hammond Eggar

It looks like it's going to be the best $20 I've ever spent.

You better believe it, Xraffle!  This afternoon I checked out disc one on my parents' HD TV, and boy was I impressed!  The clarity on Uncivil Warriors simply took my breath away!  I agree.  It's probably the best $20 I've ever spent, too! ;D

In all the talk about the new set, no one has commented on the start-up menu.  While it's not very flashy, it sure is much better than having to sit through pinball and slot machine animation just to get to the menu or watch a short.  I always thought that was a bit obnoxious.  It was the sort of thing that was funny and entertaining the first time, but grew more tiresome everytime after.  It became an irritant that only served as a roadblock to me watching the Stooges.  I'm glad they chose to go low-key with the menu animation this go-round. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

ThumpTheShoes

I've finally been able to dig through both discs of this new set and I have to say... Sony did it! Yep, it's all there, and it's all the way we asked for it!

The picture is superb, the sound is clear as a bell! With this set as the precedent for the remaining films we're all in for a truly special treat.

I have, however, found a glitch, and it is a very small one, which does not detract from the overall presentation.. but it does stand out like a sore thumb with such a cleanly remastered picture. It is within A Pain in the Pullman. Has anyone else found it?

-Th (Teddy Hoosevelt?)

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Thump The Shoes,

I think I've discovered the glitch as well - the title frame flashes for a split second after the opening credits appear. Is this the one?

Offline moe_howard

I know this is getting way ahead of things, but in future releases will the shorts that are currently considered banned on TV be included?   Any opinion as to what they will do (edit, omit, etc...)? 

JH24

I know this is getting way ahead of things, but in future releases will the shorts that are currently considered banned on TV be included?   Any opinion as to what they will do (edit, omit, etc...)? 

They'll ne included.

To put your mind at ease Sony included the Puerto Rican Day parade, an episode which has been banned for years, was included on the season 9 dvd of Seinfeld.

stooged and confused

It looks like for those of you who have the set, you're enjoying it..not a surprise! As more of you obtain it, I'll be interested in reading the comments as they come in.

Curley91

It is within A Pain in the Pullman. Has anyone else found it?

I don't have my set yet, but if it is the one with the title card, I have noticed it on the shaky VHS print before.

I had no luck at Wally World, so I ended up ordering mine through Borders. 

They said it should come in about a week.  If it takes longer than 7 days, as part of store policy, I will be getting it for free!!  I have seen all of these rave reviews, and I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MINE!!!!!!

Here's another pie smiley  [pie]

stooged and confused

Thump-

I saw two glitches...one where at the opening credits the Three Stooges logo bleeds over the fade in of the directing etc.. credits.

The second is a picture "hiccup" when Bud Jamison has a close up and is telling the Stooges to get back in their berth or he'll throw them off the train.

Is that it?

ThumpTheShoes

I saw two glitches...one where at the opening credits the Three Stooges logo bleeds over the fade in of the directing etc.. credits.

The second is a picture "hiccup" when Bud Jamison has a close up and is telling the Stooges to get back in their berth or he'll throw them off the train.

Is that it?

Yep. The glitchy title appears on two other copies that I have: the shaky VHS release and a stable (read: old) tv print. I can only guess, then, that the flash frame in the titles was a lab error from the long ago.

The one that happens during the Jamison closeup, though, is the big one and the most jarring-- he looks like he has to sneeze, or something!

Why, I oughtta...
-Th

Offline locoboymakesgood

Well, I was going to mention that goof but at first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. ;D

But, either way, even with that little boo-boo this is the best that short has looked since its original release I'm sure. I'm so glad to have it on DVD.. I just hope the sales this week were good enough to warrant Volume 2 for a quick release!

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
I'll keep my eyes open for these glitches, and any other ones that I happen to find today when I start watching them.

Just be thankful that Rhino didn't make these.  You'd be surprised at how many problems they have with each MST3K set that they make.  The fans can spot one a mile away, and are quick to report it.  Makes you wonder why they don't hire people like this for testing the product to find mistakes.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Hammond Eggar

First off, I'm not quite sure if any shorts have ever been officially banned.  That said, there are a handfull of titles which seem to be kept out of rotation by most stations which have aired the Stooges over the years.  The Yoke's On Me and They Stooge to Conga seem to be two of the most notorious when it comes to the issue of 'banning' and censoring.

Having addressed that issue, I would assume that ALL the shorts will eventually see the light-of-day on DVD.  I can't imagine Sony skipping any titles.  When it comes to TV broadcasts, you have the potential for a mixed audience.  With DVDs, and other forms of home entertainment, one has to pay for the product.  A good analogy might be the music of Frank Zappa.  While there's no way the FCC would allow most of his music to be broadcast on radio, fans can easily purchase his albums on CD and enjoy them in the comfort of their own homes.  It's the same thing with the issue of language and nudity in films.  You aren't going to see nudity in a film that's broadcast on basic cable, or by one of the major TV networks.  That said, if you're willing to pay for it, you can see films in their entirety in a theater, on DVD and on pay channels such as HBO and Showtime.  By paying for a product (CD, DVDs, etc.) you are essintially stating that you want to see or hear the entire content.  It's a different issue with regular broadcast TV and radio.  Any person could randomly channel surf and stumble on something they don't want to see and hear.  Plus, there is the whole issue of community standards which also plays a part in deciding what's appropriate for broadcast in a certain region.  Time of day is yet another factor.  Comedy Central, which is a basic cable channel, airs The Secret Stash late-nights, on the weekends.  That's when they air films and comedy concerts in their entirety, unedited and uncensored.

To get back to your original question, I do believe that, if all potential sets are issued at some point, all 190 shorts will get a proper release, with no titles being skipped over.

Tardo317

First off, I'm not quite sure if any shorts have ever been officially banned.  That said, there are a handfull of titles which seem to be kept out of rotation by most stations which have aired the Stooges over the years.  The Yoke's On Me and They Stooge to Conga seem to be two of the most notorious when it comes to the issue of 'banning' and censoring

The Yoke's On Me is actually scheduled to be shown in the Boston market on Sunday, November 11th!

Offline Hammond Eggar

The Yoke's On Me is actually scheduled to be shown in the Boston market on Sunday, November 11th!

Years ago, Gary Lassin (aka GaryStooge) was kind enough to send me an audio cassette featuring an interview with Larry's brother, Moe Fienberg.  The interview was conducted by Ron Robin on WBZ radio station.  During the interview, Moe comments on the number of fans in the Boston area, and how many joined the fan club following a blurb in a Boston newspaper's Q&A column.  I guess Boston is ripe with Stooges fans.  It seems the Stooges have never really left the airwaves in Boston.  While stations across the country seem to have an on-again/off-again relationship with the Stooges, I continually hear/read about Boston TV's support of the boys.  Wow, that's great! ;D

UPN38 (the old channel 3) in Boston has been showing the Stooges on and off since I was a kid. The New Year's Eve marathon is also a mainstay in Beantown! I know they've shown all of the episodes listed previously (including Three Arabian Nuts with Shemp). I was able to record all of the Curly shorts over the past three years and burn them to DVD. However, I will say I may never watch them again after watching the beautiful job Sony has done....Kudos to whoever gave the greenlight to this project!

JH24

My set is "out for delivery" only 3 days after shipping from LA to Melbourne, Australia so i should get it in any minute now. I love technology.

EDIT: Im holding it.

Heres a pie for you.  [pie]

Offline locoboymakesgood

My set is "out for delivery" only 3 days after shipping from LA to Melbourne, Australia so i should get it in any minute now. I love technology.

EDIT: Im holding it.

Heres a pie for you.  [pie]
Wow, yours got to Australia faster than x's did traveling across state lines, haha.