Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Re: 3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936 REVIEWS

Guest · 205 · 53170

stooged and confused

The DVD set came in this morning. I will post a full and detailed review after I've completed viewing all 19 titles, but I wanted to at least address the main concerns that were posted.

1) The discs do have a "play all" feature

2) "Three Little Beers" is intact

3) "A Pain In The Pullman" is restored (as are all of the titles).

4) The prints and sound are the best they've ever been. The short "Whoops, I'm An Indian" is the grainiest of all 19, but still looks phenomenal compared to previous incarnations.

After I've gone through all shorts, I will post a detailed review. Sony did an amazing job on the restoration on all 19 shorts. They look and sound fantastic! You will NOT be disappointed. This is, indeed, what we've all been waiting for. They finally did it right!

Offline Hammond Eggar

I love what I've read so far!  I've been planning on buying this set since it was first announced in The Three Stooges Journal.  So, there's really not much you could say that would convince me otherwise.  I figured, if the shorts look AT LEAST as good as those on previous DVDs, then I'd be satisfied. 

As for Three Little Beers and A Pain in the Pullman, I must be missing something.  What were the problems with those shorts to which fans keep eluding?  Since you didn't mention any bonus material, I assume there isn't any.  Oh, well.  Perhaps there'll be some on the next-go-round. [pie]

EDIT - I just reread a previous post and found out why fans were concerned with Three Little Beers.  That's awful!  I'm glad the error was corrected for the new set.  I guess I was oblivious to the glitch since I've only owned two copies of the short.  They were both VHS copies taped off TV, one from (W)TBS, and the other off AMC. :-\
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

The DVD set came in this morning. I will post a full and detailed review after I've completed viewing all 19 titles, but I wanted to at least address the main concerns that were posted.

4) The prints and sound are the best they've ever been. The short "Whoops, I'm An Indian" is the grainiest of all 19, but still looks phenomenal compared to previous incarnations.

After I've gone through all shorts, I will post a detailed review. Sony did an amazing job on the restoration on all 19 shorts. They look and sound fantastic! You will NOT be disappointed. This is, indeed, what we've all been waiting for. They finally did it right!

You are the best. You get 2 karmas for letting us know about both "A Pain In The Pullman" and "Three Little Beers." It's really good to hear that Sony did a good job with this set. You are really a great contributor to the site and I am so ashamed for doubting you before. BeAStooge certainly did the right thing by bonking me on the head for being an idiot.

Offline locoboymakesgood

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT news! Thanks for the heads up, Stooged!!

I cannot WAIT for this set! Less than 2 weeks, everyone!!!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hammond Eggar

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT news! Thanks for the heads up, Stooged!!

I cannot WAIT for this set! Less than 2 weeks, everyone!!!

You said it.  I guess Sony followed the Stooges credo from Violent is the Word for Curly.  "Super Service!!!" ;D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

Whoa!!! I can't believe it!  This is excellent news!  Can't you tell that I'm jumping for joy?  This is going to be the absolute best treatment the Three Stooges films have ever enjoyed.  This is gonna be awesome!  I can't wait until October 30th... [pie]

stooged and confused

I'm at the half way point and so far the news is great! I am quite impressed at how wonderful the films look and sound. The resolution is stunning, the black and white is rich (some shorts look as if they have a glossy appearance to them). The picture is clear as can be and the sound jumps out from my speakers. They look amazing on a widescreen HD TV.

Of course, there are a few minor blemishes along the way, but that is inherent in the technology process (like when the camera speeds up the action). All of the hairline scratches, hissing, dust, spots and other abrasions are removed from these stellar prints that have been lovingly restored to a like new brilliance. Those of you who had "A Pain In The Pullman" on VHS will be speechless at how great it looks. Ditto for "Three Little Beers." I don't think "Woman Haters" looked this good when it premiered in 1934. The restoration job is a Cadillac effort.

Grab the set as soon as it comes out. Even the most doubting consumer will be mesmerized.

Once I have watched all episodes in full, I will post a detailed review (which I will also email to my Sony contact.)

I'm back to put myself in Stooge coma...and I'm loving it!!

Curley91

Wow!  That is awesome! 

I'm happy to hear that such great effort was put into these sets.  I can't wait to see "A Pain In The Pullman" the way it SHOULD be seen. 

October 30th can't come soon enough for me!

S&C, you deserve a karma point!

[pie] Another Pie's on its' way!

Offline Justin T

AWESOME!!

I can not wait to get this DVD set!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"

I got chills when I read this, since I wanted to read how great the set is and that's exactly what you've told us.   8)

You are awesome!  I wish I could go into a small coma and wake up on October 30th just so it can get here faster.   ;D

Now I just need to figure out how to give you some Karma.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

xraffle

What is the packaging like S&C?

Yes, good question! How is the packaging? Is it in those slip sleeve cases or is it a regular DVD case that holds 2 discs?

stooged and confused

I am in the process of writing my full review on the set, but to answer the packaging question, they are in two separate slip cases. The first disc has 11 shorts and the second has eight.

stooged and confused

To Stooge or not to Stooge, that is the question. For almost a decade since Sony began issuing The Three Stooges shorts on DVD, fans have been asking when chronological ordered sets would be released. During the last nine years, previous compilations have been a mixed bag of quality prints; odd pairings of titles; ill fated "themed" discs, and a color/B&W series. Some shorts were duplicated several times, while other films never saw the light of day. The number of shorts appearing on each disc steadily decreased. If you've felt burned by previous DVD releases that had splices, missing dialogue or deleted scenes, worry not.

Sony got the message. The Three Stooges Collection 1934-1936 is the first in a series of DVD's that presents the shorts in their original release order. For ardent fans, it's a knucklehead's dream. For the beginner, it is the proper way to be introduced to the legendary trio.  Each short has been restored to its original running time.

For those of you not familiar with the history of the Three Stooges, they made more films than any comedy team. A total of 190 shorts (or two reelers) and five starring feature films were produced from 1934 through 1965 at Columbia Pictures. They hold the record for the longest running studio association in Hollywood history. This was no accident. Simply put, The Three Stooges are funny. They produced a bunch of classic episodes. Of course, with 190 titles, there are some lemons in the barrel. However, with the first set of chronological shorts, each one has plenty of Stooge brilliance. Even their first short, "Woman Haters", an oddity done in rhyme, has enough mayhem to rise it above the "musical novelty" that it was originally billed.

The Stooges' career was drenched in irony. During their heyday of appearing in the classic short films, the Stooges longed to make feature length movies, fearing that the shorts were holding them back. But it was the Columbia shorts that kept them alive. Because of their running time (between 16-18 minutes), The Three Stooges shorts were like mini sitcoms. They weren't bogged down with dated musical numbers and gooey romantic sub plots like features starring Abbott and Costello and The Marx Brothers, for example. The pacing was that of animated cartoons and the Stooges were human cartoon characters. The short films they made 70+ years ago fit surprisingly well in today's video game generation of quick paced action, fast edits and short attention spans.

The other alleged nail in their career coffin was television. When the shorts market dried up in theatres due to the popularity of TV, the Stooges thought they were finished. Their backlog of films were sold in syndication and millions of people have been exposed to them ever since, therefore rescuing them from obscurity and cementing them as pop culture icons.

The first 19 of these episodes are featured in this collection. But they don't look like they did on TV. Sony has lovingly restored each short to its original brilliance and the results are nothing short of spectacular. The quality of the restoration is on par with that of Disney, the Looney Tunes series and classic films like "Wizard Of Oz", "Casablanca", and "Singin' In The Rain."

I've seen each of these Curly shorts more times than I should admit to, and watching these newly mastered films is like seeing them for the first time. Gone are the hairline scratches, dust, pops and other debris commonly found on TV and previous VHS and DVD prints. The black and white resolution is rich and some of the shorts look like they have a glossy finish to them. On "Three Little Pigskins", the picture is so clear at times, I can see the beauty parlor sign behind the boys and read that a polish and fingerwave cost 79 cents. The picture quality is that pristine! Those glorious sound effects jump from my speakers. The oldest film on the set is 73 years, and it looks beautiful on a widescreen HD TV.

So, if you're still asking yourself the question: to Stooge or not to Stooge, the answer should be as predictable as a slap from Moe. Why, Soitinly!

stooged and confused

I appreciate the kind words, everyone. My intentions from day one was to share the advanced information that I was able to receive with all of you. My affinity for this site wanted me to allow you to get the info before anyone else, an exclusive , if you will. The fans on this site deserve that. I was pleased to get you the cover art before anyone saw it outside of Sony. The same goes for the DVD set that we've all been waiting for. I felt it was important to let everyone know that their concerns and misgivings from previous compilations have been properly corrected. I have posted a full review that will be printed in various publications. I also forwarded it to my Sony contact, who has been very giving of her time in answering my coorespondence regarding volume 1.

If you want more detailed information regarding a particular short, let me know and I will be happy to answer you.

stooged and confused

I've been asked by one contact if Woman Haters has the original "musical novelty" title card. It does, along with the NRA opening that preceeds the Columbia Production opening.

stooged and confused

Another inquiry asks:

I'm curious about the scenes in Punch Drunks where Larry runs down the street....they are always very dark in all the prints I've seen in the past....

My response:

Yes, they always look muddy and VERY grainy. That has been corrected as best as it can. The darkness comes from the way the scenes were lit when filming those sequences, but the improvement is quite noticeable.

stooged and confused

Another writes:

Is there still the reel changing spot in the upper right hand corner of the Three Little Beers print?

My reply:

No, the change in reels has been cleaned up and you no longer see the reel change indicator as was the case in all previous issues of Three Little Beers.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I appreciate the kind words, everyone. My intentions from day one was to share the advanced information that I was able to receive with all of you. My affinity for this site wanted me to allow you to get the info before anyone else, an exclusive , if you will. The fans on this site deserve that. I was pleased to get you the cover art before anyone saw it outside of Sony. The same goes for the DVD set that we've all been waiting for. I felt it was important to let everyone know that their concerns and misgivings from previous compilations have been properly corrected. I have posted a full review that will be printed in various publications. I also forwarded it to my Sony contact, who has been very giving of her time in answering my coorespondence regarding volume 1.

If you want more detailed information regarding a particular short, let me know and I will be happy to answer you.

Say, Stooged.  Every weekend I sit down to enjoy Ebert and Roeper At the Movies.  One thing I love is The Thumbs-Up Video segment they have each week.  Unfortunately, Ebert has been away from the show for quite some time now, but that's neither here-nor-there.  I would love to hear Roeper give a plug for this new Three Stooges DVD set on his show.  Do you know of any way we can encourage him to give it a mention next week?  That would be Stooge-tastic! [pie]

stooged and confused

That would be sweet, Hammond. I'm from Chicago and have some friends that are still in the radio biz there. Let me see if I can get in touch with Roeper and see what can be done. It would be nice exposure for the set.

stooged and confused

What's the story with the Pain In The Pullman short?

Out of all the 190 prints, "A Pain In The Pullman" was in the worst shape. It was littered with grainy images, dust, debris galore, muffled sound, and most of all, picture flutters throughout the entire run of the film. Sony proved its restoration muscle on this title and they had their work cut out for them. Needless to say, the film looks like it was filmed this morning. Previous prints were unwatchable, giving the viewer a headache, or worse, made one seasick. It looks brand spanking new. And seeing as this short is the longest of all 190 episodes (it clocks in at 19:49 minutes), that's a VERY good thing!

Offline Hammond Eggar

Hey, Stooged.  I assume since you haven't mentioned it, there are no bonus features on the set.  That said, with your contacts at Sony, do you know if any future sets will include any bonus material.  Do you have any insight as to WHAT that could be?  Please let your contact know that we would love to see one or more of the following.

1) Interviews with Stooges relatives (Moe's daughter Joan especially) and supporting players.

2) Commontary from Stooges relatives and supporting players.  It would be cool if you let these people pick their favorite shorts, and then let them supply running commentary for said shorts.

3) It's been reported in The Three Stooges Journal that behind-the-scenes footage of the Stooges on the sets of Back From the Front, Uncivil Warbirds and Three Little Pirates has been discovered.  These clips would make nice additions to future sets.

4) Any interviews with the Stooges themselves, especially Moe and Larry.

5) Footage from the unveiling of the Stooges star on Hollywood's Walk-of-Fame.

6) Solo Columbia shorts from Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita would make nice bonus material.  Then again, they would make nice packages on their own.

7) Columbia feature films featuring the Stooges would be nice, too.  In particular, Rockin' in the Rockies would make a great addition to a later Curly set.

Well, that's all in regards to the current shorts series.  As for the already-issued DeRita Stooges features on DVD I have this to say.  Please let your Sony contact know that we'd like to see these films repackaged with some bonus material.  For example, The Three Stooges in Orbit should include the best quality copy of The Three Stooges Scrapbook.  Plus, they all need to include the trailers for the films.  As for the previously-mentioned DeRita solo shorts, they could be added as bonus features to the feature films.  Have Rocket, Will Travel has not found it's way onto DVD yet, so perhaps Sony could add the DeRita solo shorts on that release.  Again, thanks for all your information, and please be sure to pass along these comments to your Sony contact.  We Stooges fans greatly appreciate it. ;)

stooged and confused

As I mentioned before, Hammond, there are NO bonus features on this first go around. There were initially some bonus features to be included like Stooge pop up video style trivia on selected shorts; an interview with Joan; footage from the convention of surviving female co-stars; a Moe Howard biography, but they were shelved. I feel they are planning to use these features as inticement to help bolster sales of the Shemp and Joe sets that may not sell as well as the Curly's in the general marketplace.

Regarding the color footage as mentioned in the journal, Sony/Columbia does NOT own this footage. Whether they are willing to cough up the cash to be able to include it is another matter entirely. If things like that materialize, the set prices would surely increase. Most avid fans would happily shell out some extra greenbacks, but if Sony wants to move as many units as possible, that may put the kibosh on something like that. As for the material they DO own, I will be more than happy to pass your, and anyone's, suggestions to my contact and she can forward them to the proper department(s ) who make the decisions regarding product content.

Keep in mind, the more things that are included, the more the sets will cost. Sony is more than likely only concerned with selling as many units as possible. They have realized their mistake by buying time on the previous sets while they properly restored the films. Based on the quality of the prints and the great price point, as long as they make the public aware that the new sets exist, they should sell well...most likely not "Spider Man" or "Seinfeld" numbers, but they should be more than happy with the results.

Offline Hammond Eggar

As I mentioned before, Hammond, there are NO bonus features on this first go around. There were initially some bonus features to be included like Stooge pop up video style trivia on selected shorts; an interview with Joan; footage from the convention of surviving female co-stars; a Moe Howard biography, but they were shelved. I feel they are planning to use these features as inticement to help bolster sales of the Shemp and Joe sets that may not sell as well as the Curly's in the general marketplace.

Regarding the color footage as mentioned in the journal, Sony/Columbia does NOT own this footage. Wether they are willing to cough up the cash to be able to include it is another matter entirely. If things like that materialize, the set prices would surely increase. Most avid fans would happily shell out some extra greenbacks, but if Sony wants to move as many units as possible, that may put the kibosh on something like that. As for the material they DO own, I will be more than happy to pass your, and anyone's, suggestions to my contact and she can forward them to the proper department(s ) who make the decisions regarding product content.

All I can say, Stooged, is this.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  [pie]

stooged and confused

Anytime, Hammond. Just so you all know, I've posted my full review (listed here in a previous post) on Amazon. I am also sending it to some of the trades and publications I've freelanced for to do my part in making the public aware and educated regarding the improved content of the new set. Hopefully, Sony will do the same.