Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges at O-State...

Offline porcupinefan87

....and no I don't mean half of my professors.  ;)

I just thought I'd share this little tidbit.  I write for our college paper the "State Times".  Anyway, in the issue that came out this Wednesday, I had a piece on The Three Stooges. This morning, I received an e-mail from...the Assistant to the President of our college (and she's a woman) stating:

Angela,

I really enjoyed reading your article on The Three Stooges in yesterday’s State Times.  I’m glad to know there’s someone else out there who appreciates this trio!

My Dad and I were avid fans of the Stooges.  We would watch episodes over and over, laughing just as hard each time we watched.  In fact, our favorite was “Hoi Polloi” which you mentioned in your article.

My Dad passed away in January of 2005, and one of the last things we did together was watch, from his hospital bed, a Stooges’ marathon that one of the tv stations was carrying on New Year’s Eve.  He died a few days later.  I haven’t been able to watch the Stooges since then, but after reading your story, I think I may pull out my tapes and watch and remember the special times my Dad and I spent together with the “Stooges.”

Needless to say, I was very touched. And of course, flattered. The Assistant to the President doesn't know me from a hole in the wall, but after reading the article, she took the time to "look me up" so to speak, and send  me that e-mail. Very sweet.  Things like that make me realize why I want to do something writing related as a career (aside from the ego of it all and that I'm self-absorbed haha). 

And then I realized how interesting the timing is. Tomorrow...Larry Fine's b-day folks, etc. I was like this is very cool. The article wasn't anything too fancy...more of an opinion piece titled "Stooges...The Dunce's Answer to The Marx Brothers?". Followed by "...I think not" and the article. I was basically saying how they shouldn't get dismissed as "not smart comedy" etc.

So I just thought I'd share that because I found it rather touching and I also think the timing couldn't be better.

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline falsealarms

Isn't that the SUNY Oneonta paper?

Always good to know someone enjoyed your stuff.

Offline porcupinefan87

Yes, you would be correct. I go to SUNY Oneonta.
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline Justin T

Yes, you would be correct. I go to SUNY Oneonta.

Thats way cool, I'm not that far from Oneonta, I live over near Geneva which is prob about 3 hours from Oneonta.
I knew a girl from there once and drove out there a few times but that was years ago.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

Oneonta is a nice little town from what I've seen... which doesn't extend far beyond the Wendy's off I-88 :)

I go to SUNY Albany.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Can you submit your Stooges article here as a new topic, or are the rights restricted to the school paper?  I, for one, would love to read it!   ;D