Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp's PLEASED TO MITT YOU (1940) on DVD, Nov. 13

Linked Events

• PLEASED TO MITT YOU (1940) DVD: November 13, 2007

Offline BeAStooge

November 13, Sony Home Entertainment is releasing GOLDEN BOY (1939), starring Barbara Stanwyck and William Holden.

A bonus feature will be the Columbia short subject PLEASED TO MITT YOU (1940). Shemp costarred in the first two installments of "The Gloveslingers" boxing comedies; PLEASED was the second short in the short-lived (1939 - 1941) series.

Excerpt from Sony's press release...

Celebrate Hollywood Legend Barbara Stanwyck's 100th Birthday When One of Her Great Performances Debuts on DVD November 13

GOLDEN BOY

The Classic Drama Also Stars Academy Award Winner William Holden and Academy Award Nominee Adolphe Menjou

Extensive Bonus Features Include Three Vintage Short Subjects and a Rare Episode of FORD TELEVISION THEATRE

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (September 3, 2007) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) marks the 100th birthday of legendary four-time Academy Award nominee and honorary Oscar winner Barbara Stanwyck with the November 13 DVD debut of GOLDEN BOY, a dynamic story of a promising violinist (William Holden) who jeopardizes his career by moonlighting as a prize-fighter. Stanwyck, whose career spanned over six decades, gives another of her indelible performances as the woman who tries to convince Holden to give up his musical ambitions for the glory of the boxing ring.

The DVD will be available for $19.95 SRP. The bonus materials include three vintage short subjects: THE KANGAROO KID, a 1938 color cartoon spoof of GOLDEN BOY; the 1940 two-reeler PLEASED TO MITT YOU, one of the "Glove Slingers" series of comedy shorts with Shemp Howard (of The Three Stooges); and the August 1, 1930 edition of SCREEN SNAPSHOTS, which features a 23-year-old Stanwyck being taught to play golf by fellow actor Ricardo Cortez. The DVD also contains her very first dramatic TV appearance: the western drama "Sudden Silence," a 1956 episode of FORD TELEVISION THEATRE that has been unseen for 50 years.

GOLDEN BOY was adapted from the critically-acclaimed play by Clifford Odets, which debuted on Broadway November 4, 1937 (celebrating its 70th Anniversary this year) and ran for 250 performances. When the show was adapted as a film two years later, Columbia Pictures, with Stanwyck's urging, cast then-unknown William Holden in the title role, launching his four-decade-plus stardom. The film was a critical and box-office success and held the title of Columbia's most successful non-Frank Capra film for seven years. However, it received only a single Academy Award nomination (Best Original Score) in the golden year of 1939. In addition to Stanwyck and Holden, GOLDEN BOY boasts an impressive lineup of talent on both sides of the camera.

The cast includes two other Academy Award nominees: Adolphe Menjou and Lee J. Cobb, recreating his role from the play, as well as veteran character actors Joseph Calleia, Sam Levene, Edward Brophy, and the ubiquitous Charles Lane, who recently passed way at the age of 102.

Offline 2reelers

I hope this starts a trend and more of these two-reelers start popping up as extras. I do wish Sony would have put the first short, GLOVE SLINGERS, on this disc instead, but I won't complain ...it'll be nice to have a crisp print without Spanish subtitles. For everyone who hasn't seen this comedy (which has been around for some time in the collector video market), Shemp tosses out an ad lib in one scene that busts up his co-stars (especially Guinn "Big Boy" Williams), and that scene alone is worth it!

For anyone keeping tabs, this makes it the second non-Stooge Columbia comedy short to turn up on dvd this year (PHONEY CRONIES being the other). That means we have 334 non-Stooge Columbia's to go!

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
That is nice to have one of Shemps 2 reelers on ANY release at all.   I wish Sony would include solo shorts on the new series of stooges shorts appearing next month.  It would be a nice extra to include. And since we see this glove being slinged out on this title it shows that they must be either remastered AND available.   Think about it Sony Extra features means extra sales. Although they know we will buy them anyway its a nice thought.

Stoogiliy Speaking,
I Fleecem, President
Skin and Flint Finance Corporation

Offline locoboymakesgood

I've never seen any of Shemp's solo stuff (although he is my favorite Stooge). Think this movie warrants a purchase? I'm not a huge fan of Stanwyck or William Holden (well, I've never watched any of their films all the way through to say the least). I'd like to see that Shemp short.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
I've seen several of them and they are quite good. Maybe we will be able to rent this from the video store to watch Shemp.

Skin And Flint Finance Company
I Fleecem, President

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 2reelers

Shemp's solo efforts are well worth a look at (as are the solos of Besser and DeRita). I'm sold on this dvd just for the upgrade of the Glove Slingers short alone.

Offline Pat The Stooge

As much as a big Shemp fan I am, I would love to see Warner Bros. release Shemp and Daphne's solo efforts from the 1930s.

I'd also like to see Besser's solo efforts too, since he was better by himself.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
I agree with Joe Bessers Columbia Shorts. He is very funny when he can let go by himself. The ones I have seen he shines in like "Caught On The Bounce" and "Army Daze". Jim Hawthorne is a good straight man for him as well.  Joe DeRita is okay by himself but he is not in Bessers league when it comes to solo efforts in my opinion.

I wish he (Besser) could have continued into the 60's Stooge feature films. It would have made a good contrast to them.
Again just my loud mouth opinion.

Skin And Flint Finance Company
I Fleecem, President

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've never seen any of Shemp's solo stuff (although he is my favorite Stooge). Think this movie warrants a purchase? I'm not a huge fan of Stanwyck or William Holden (well, I've never watched any of their films all the way through to say the least). I'd like to see that Shemp short.

I haven't seen Golden Boy in quite a while, loco, but as I recall it wasn't bad.  Maybe a 7 out of 10?  (I'm not a huge fan of "boxing" movies.)  Probably good enough to warrant buying it to get the Shemp short as well, anyway.   ;)

Offline falsealarms

November 13, Sony Home Entertainment is releasing GOLDEN BOY (1939), starring Barbara Stanwyck and William Holden.

A bonus feature will be the Columbia short subject PLEASED TO MITT YOU (1940). Shemp costarred in the first two installments of "The Gloveslingers" boxing comedies; PLEASED was the second short in the short-lived (1939 - 1941) series.

Excerpt from Sony's press release...

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?board=33.0