Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Trivia

Guest · 50 · 34136

stooged and confused

Here's a trivia question to throw out and see who knows the answer. Hint...the Stooges are linked to the answer.

What well known figure has appeared in more films during the entire history of movies?

Offline JazzBill

Here's a trivia question to throw out and see who knows the answer. Hint...the Stooges are linked to the answer.

Who has appeared in more films during the entire history of movies?
[youtube=425,350]QD1TC7peARI[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

stooged and confused

Nope--not Mel Blanc, but good guess!

Offline JazzBill

IMDb's most prolific actors. The list goes up to 20, here are the top five:
1 - Mel Blanc 876
2 - Adoor Bhasi 549
3 - Tom London 512
4 - Bud Osborne 505
5 - Prem Nazir 483
If you include women, Bess Flowers would come in at number 8 with 454.

I guess the answer depends on what you use for a source. Maybe your answer is a good guess.  ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

stooged and confused

I'll give you another hint, Jazzbill. This well known figure has appeared in more movies than anyone and has NEVER uttered one syllable of dialogue!

ThumpTheShoes

I'd guess this little lady, right here:

What do I win?

-Th

stooged and confused

Good job, Thump! The Columbia torch lady has appeared in more movies than anyone!!! A karma point for you! I guess the Stooges association and no spoken dialogue clues helped some? Not a bad question, ay?!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
but unfortunately for me, I had to go to the airport to pick up the ogre.(the wife)

LOL! I hope, for your sake, that she doesn't read this board!   ;D

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Now for part 2 of the question  Who is the actress?   (Don't ask me I just want to know myself)

Signed,
I Fleecem,
President

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(from wikipedia)
Columbia's logo, a lady carrying a torch, originally appeared in 1924. The first model for the logo is unknown, although Bette Davis claimed that Claudia Dell was used.

(also from wikipedia)
Claudia Dell (January 10, 1910 - September 5, 1977) was an American showgirl and actress of the stage and Hollywood motion pictures. Her birth name was Claudia Dell Smith. She was born in San Antonio, Texas on January 10, 1910. She attended school in San Antonio and Mexico. Claudia was blonde and blue-eyed, with a porcelain pretty face. Her height was 5'5".
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"

Offline garystooge

How about Amelia Batchelor...I think she was torch lady #2.

Offline busybuddy

imdb lists Amelia Batchelor as the Columbia torch lady from 1939-??.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline locoboymakesgood

You can never trust iMDB or Wikipedia... there must be a book or something that has noted who played the torch lady throughout the years. I wonder who was the basis for the current logo?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline garystooge

You can never trust iMDB or Wikipedia... there must be a book or something that has noted who played the torch lady throughout the years.

I believe Amelia Batchler was the real deal (note the correct spelling of her name). Here's an article about her from a 1987 issue of People Magazine

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline garystooge

Just as a follow-up to my previous post, I located a letter that was written to Batchler from Columbia Pictures CEO David Putnam. Sounds like he had just read the People Magazine article and was not sure where to send the letter. Anyway, for the life of me I can't remember where I got this from (it might have been from author Steve Cox) but thought that it would be interesting to post.
Gary

[attachment deleted by admin]

stooged and confused

Wholly smokes! I posted this trivia question two months ago and it's just being discovered now? Talk about delayed reaction.

Oh well, better late than never, eh?!

I'm glad you enjoyed the brain teaser.

Offline garystooge

Wholly smokes! I posted this trivia question two months ago and it's just being discovered now?

All those years of hallucinogenic drug use must have taken their toll.....sorry for the delayed reaction!
GL

stooged and confused

Oh, a 60's flashback, ay? Why I outta.....

Offline Hammond Eggar

(from wikipedia)
Columbia's logo, a lady carrying a torch, originally appeared in 1924. The first model for the logo is unknown, although Bette Davis claimed that Claudia Dell was used.

(also from wikipedia)
Claudia Dell (January 10, 1910 - September 5, 1977) was an American showgirl and actress of the stage and Hollywood motion pictures. Her birth name was Claudia Dell Smith. She was born in San Antonio, Texas on January 10, 1910. She attended school in San Antonio and Mexico. Claudia was blonde and blue-eyed, with a porcelain pretty face. Her height was 5'5".

Gee, I sure hope it was Claudia Dell.  Being a San Antonio native, I find this bit of trivia to be pretty fascinating. ;D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

Funny thing.  Every time we watch the Three Stooges, my son (age 5) always asks "Who's that woman?"  I always tell him that it's the Columbia Pictures woman.  Then, he says "Oh, okay" and goes on.  But when the next episode comes on, he asks me again "Who's that woman?"  Too funny!

Offline MR77100

I used to call the "torch lady" the "Statue of Liberty" when I was little! LOL. BTW, does anyone know why she was listed under the name SCREEN GEMS when some of the 1936 episodes and earlier were aired on TV?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I used to call the "torch lady" the "Statue of Liberty" when I was little! LOL. BTW, does anyone know why she was listed under the name SCREEN GEMS when some of the 1936 episodes and earlier were aired on TV?

"Listed under the name"...? Not sure what you mean by that, but the Columbia Torch Lady was never called Screen Gems.

Columbia created Screen Gems as a distribution subsidiary for its cartoons in the '40s. After the in-house animation division was closed in the early '50s, Screen Gems was reorganized as Columbia's television division, initially to syndicate the studio's film library to TV, and then as a TV production subsidiary during the '50s-'70s (FATHER KNOWS BEST, THE DONNA REED SHOW, DENNIS THE MENACE, BEWITCHED, THE MONKEES, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY, many more...). Screen Gems also operated as a network distributor for Hanna-Barbera's primetime series during the 1960s.

Sony currently uses the Screen Gems brand for theatrical distribution of independent, art-house and documentary films.

When the Columbia shorts were syndicated in 1958, Screen Gems logos were edited onto the films.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I've got some trivia questions here that the above Columbia info may help the answers to ...

1) In which Three Stooges episode did the Unknown Lady with animated torch light switch to the Columbia Torch Lady? (Okay, she has an animated light as well)

2) In which Three Stooges episode did Columbia switch from individual opening credit music to the standard "Wa-Wa-Waah" music?

3) In which Three Stooges episode did Curley's name get changed to "Curly"?
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.