The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Suggestions

shemps#1 · 105 · 43707

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Please leave your suggestions for induction into MTS in this thread.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline garystooge

• Grapehead
  • Master Stooge
  • Puddinhead
How 'bout these: Supertramp, America, Rod Stewart, Three Dog Night, Heart, Billy Joel, Led Zeppelin(post-1969), Bob Seger, Eddie Money, Bonnie Raitt, Badfinger.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Rod Stewart is inducted (#22 I think).

Led Zep: no way. While there are a few songs I don't like (especially towards the end), the made alot of good music.

Badfinger: A Beatlesque group that I'm kinda sitting on the fence on. Did they have any other hit besides "Come and Get It"?

Three Dog Night and Billy Joel: I likes 'em, so nay. Joel has made some crap, but he has made some good music too.

Bob Segar: I'll put him in the queque. Pure shit right there.

Heart: Most definately in the queque. <shudder>

Supertramp: I can only think of one song of theirs, I'll have to look into them more.

Eddie Money and Bonnie Raitt: Oy vey! Into the queque they go.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline 3Stooges

• Bonehead
How about Van Halen after David Lee Roth left? Sammy Hagar's tenure was musically mediocre at best and lets not even talk about Gary Cherone era!!!! Gary Cherone was like the Curly-Joe of Van Halen.

Offline garystooge

• Grapehead
  • Master Stooge
  • Puddinhead
Badfinger had several other hits, including "No Matter What", "Day After Day", and probably a couple others I've forgotten. They are most memorable as the group with highest suicide rate per band member (I think 3 of them committed suicide).  Loved Led Zep's 1st two albums, and hated everything after that, but can understand why people like them.

Forgot to mention all those female folk/pop artists of days past: Joni Mitchell, Laura Nyro, Carole King, Maria Muldaur, Ricki Lee Jones etc. Don't know if they qualify on top-40 grounds, but they sure qualify on suckiness grounds.

Also how about Jackson Browne...he's basically the male version of the above.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Van Halen is #10, Jackson Browne was #17 I think. I'll have to redo him. As for the female artists, I could do them as a package...I don't think any of them would qualify as far as mainstream popularity is concerned.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I may be the only person in the world who thinks this, but if I had to pick a favorite Zeppelin album at gunpoint, it would be LED ZEPPELIN III.  Zeppelin never made a better metal song than "Immigrant Song" and "Since I've Been Loving You" is my favorite Zeppelin song ever.  Definitely Plant's best vocal performance - so much emotion!  Add "Gallow's Pole" and "Tangerine" as my other favorite from III, and you've got the album where Zeppelin started spreading their wings stylistically.

I beg for Creed, Limp Bizkit, and Poison to be inducted.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
.....or how 'bout doing once great bands jumping the shark?  Aerosmith is the most perfect example.  I listened to their second album, GET YOUR WINGS today, and I can't believe the same band who made that classic is currently pumping out the corn and nut infested pop rock turds (hey, gotta get into the spirit of the MTS section), written by "professional" songwriters.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Since you've mentioned it, I was already thinking about doing something like that (jump the shark type deal), but with a much bigger name than Aerosmith. As for Tyler and Co., they might merit a full induction as I only like one song of theirs. The rest is shit.

Offline Waldo Twitchell

• Bonehead
My nominees: James Taylor, Air Supply, Elton John, Richard Marx, Phish, and Limp
Bizkit.

Three decades of MTS...

Bands that 'jumped the shark' sounds like a great idea. I think Van Halen would qualify after DLR left (or got kicked out).

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
With or without Roth, Van Halen sucked: that's why they are already inducted.

Offline Baggie

• Chucklehead
Hows about Shania Twain and Celine Dion, what the hell are they all about??
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline Robbie883

• Porcupine
  • Bonehead

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
James Taylor and Elton John, no. I like their early stuff (especially Elton's).

Richard Marx, possibly if I find more material to research on him.

Air Supply, in the queque.

Phish, no. They have not had enough commercial success.

I had set out to do a Limp Bizkit induction at one point, but could not find enough good, concrete material for research.

Shania Twain, tentatively in the queque. I'll do some light research first and see if there's enough material to do an induction.

Celine, fuck yeah.

Pilsner Panther

The suggestions you've already gotten are enough to keep you busy for the next year, Jim, but since you reviewed the "Sgt. Pepper" film in detail (your stomach is a lot stronger than mine), how about putting Peter Frampton's albums on the list?

More 70's Shit and Shinola:

Sonny and Cher (together and separately)
The Doobie Brothers
The Guess Who (not to be confused with The Who)
Dan Fogelberg (a Jackson Browne-type "sensitive" geek, only maybe worse.)
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Grand Funk Railroad
Deep Purple
Barry White
Donna Summer
The Captain and Tennille ("Muskrat Love")
Tony Orlando and Dawn ("Tie A Yellow Ribbon," for those of you who might not be old enough to remember either of those last two musical atrocities).

And my all-time "favorite," Neil Young. If anyone ever handed him a pitch pipe, he'd probably look at it in complete confusion, then stuff it full of weed and try to light it. I wouldn't personally recommend shooting The Off-Key Kid, but a tranquilizer dart and confinement in a zoo might be a humane solution, since he just won't go away! Can you spell r-e-t-i-r-e-m-e-n-t, Neil?

>:(

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 04:30:48 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Peter Frampton; he just barely qualifies, but is really stretching it. That isn't to say that I haven't stretched it before.

Sonny and Cher are definately in the queque. They would be inducted together, but the induction would also include Cher solo.

Doobie Bros., Grand Funk Railroad, Deep Purple, The Guess Who; I dunno, there are other acts I feel more strongly about.

Tony Orlando and Dawn, Captain and Tennille, Donna Summer; shit yeah.

BTO; perhaps later on down the line. So much shitty music, so little time.

Fogelberg; an interesting choice, I'd have to do some quick research and see if he qualifies.

Barry White & Neil Young; no.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Fogelberg; an interesting choice, I'd have to do some quick research and see if he qualifies.

"You kids, with your Pacman, and your Zima, and your Dan Fogelberg..."  (Ernest Borgnine, in BASEketball)

;D

Pilsner Panther

Deep Purple on MTS?  :o

Oh, maybe they're not so bad altogether, I just heard "Smoke On The Water" one too many times when I was an impressionable adolescent. For a mediocre song, it got one hell of a lot of air play!

::)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Deep Purple on MTS? :o

Oh, maybe they're not so bad altogether, I just heard "Smoke On The Water" one too many times when I was an impressionable adolescent. For a mediocre song, it got one hell of a lot of air play!

::)

That's pretty much how I feel about a lot of groups from my youth; like Led Zepplin, for instance.  It's not that their music sucks, it's just that I've heard it so damn much that I can't take it any more.  Kind of like the old Chinese water torture:  a cool drop of water on the forehead can be refreshing and enjoyable, but drop after drop, on the same spot, without relenting, can drive you insane!   [twitch]  [nuts]

Offline Baggie

• Chucklehead
Have Shania Twain or Leanne Rimes been mentioned/suggested yet?
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I'm lucky with Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, etc. in that I didn't grow up in the 70's and have their hit songs shoved down my throat....and I never listen to the radio.  I just buy the CD's, so I've probably heard "Smoke On The Water" just as much as any non-famous album track.  I've had several people who grew up in the 70's tell me the song they are most sick of is "Smoke On The Water," so it must've been way overplayed! 

All this said, Purple were/are an excellent band.  Great songs and great musicianship all around.  One of the great thrills in rock music is hearing Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord trading off solos on the guitar and Hammond organ.
- Doug Sarnecky

Pilsner Panther

I'm lucky with Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, etc. in that I didn't grow up in the 70's and have their hit songs shoved down my throat....and I never listen to the radio.  I just buy the CD's, so I've probably heard "Smoke On The Water" just as much as any non-famous album track.  I've had several people who grew up in the 70's tell me the song they are most sick of is "Smoke On The Water," so it must've been way overplayed! 

All this said, Purple were/are an excellent band.  Great songs and great musicianship all around.  One of the great thrills in rock music is hearing Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord trading off solos on the guitar and Hammond organ.

Ah, lucky you... in the 70's, your choices when driving were either cassettes or eight-track tapes, if you didn't want to listen to the radio. I used to take a lot of long road trips when I first owned a car, and I installed a TEAC cassette deck with Jensen speakers, which was the best car system available at the time. Eight-track tape bit the big one, and it was on the way out even then. Not only were the tapes bulky (about the size of an average paperback book), but they would often change tracks right in the middle of a song! Even when I was 18, I knew better than to buy an eight-track player.

The radio was pretty bad then, too... My first girlfriend's father owned an ice cream plant here in the Bay Area, and she and I used to drive to remote places like Coalinga and San Juan Bautista in her father's '76 Chrysler New Yorker (with its massive trunk packed full of dry ice and cardboard cartons), to deliver specialty ice cream like spumoni to various restaurants. These were like, four-hour drives, each way.

Unfortunately for me, Debbie's musical taste ran to things like Three Dog Night, Jackson Browne, Elton John, and the Doobie Brothers, so she'd always put on the stations that played that stuff— along with "Smoke On The Water," umpteen million times.

Every now and then, she'd let me tune to the one jazz station in the area (KJAZ, which folded a long time ago), but the lyrics to "Smoke On the Water," "Joy To The World," "Rocket Man," and "China Grove" are forever imprinted in some remote, reptilian part of my brain. If she hadn't been such a hot little California blonde cheerleader-type babe, I'd never have forgiven her!

;)

BTW, Rob, if you've never heard Led Zep's "BBC Tapes," (available on CD) they're a lot more spontaneous than their regular studio work, and Jimmy Page in his prime was one of the greatest guitarists ever, no question.

Or maybe, No Quarter...!

Offline Waldo Twitchell

• Bonehead
REO Speedwagon - these guys would fit nicely alongside Journey.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Unfortunately for me, Debbie's musical taste ran to things like Three Dog Night, Jackson Browne, Elton John, and the Doobie Brothers, so she'd always put on the stations that played that stuff— along with "Smoke On The Water," umpteen million times.

My ex-wife's taste in music was, if anything, even more appalling.  If I ever hear Barely Manenough's "Copacabana" one more time, I swear that I'll... [splat]