Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hapless Half-Wits, Triple Whammy

Offline Wilson7777

Hi There.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the new(er) Hapless Half-Wits DVD that came out.  The Internet is saying that it came out in February, but I check constantly and didn't realize it came out until yesterday when I saw it while shopping in Toronto.  I guess all the stores in my area stink....they never have a good Stooges selection, it's horrible!  So, if I happen to go to a big city like Toronto, I make sure I stock up! lol!

Anyways, I was wondering what your thoughts were, and if there will ever be a complete DVD collection from Columbia.  I for one, doubt it, but hope that don't at the same time, because they will probably re-release them all by year, making the current DVD's obsolete.  Does anyone know of a good site (other than this one of course) that might have rumours or leaks straight from Sony/Columbia regarding DVD releases?

Also, I saw this "Triple Whammy" DVD set and was wondering if anyone bought it.  There is 3 DVD's.  One is Live & Hilarious, but I didn't realize that they recorded their live shows??  Then there is Extreme Rarities, and another disc I can't recall.  Is this stuff that has already been released?  On the box it says this is new footage previously un-released?  I haven't seen it for sale around my area yet.  Can anyone tell me what is on them, and if they are worth buying??

Thanks!
===========
Wilson7777

ThumpTheShoes

Triple Whammy is a nice, inexpensive collection of a number of Stooge clips that don't really fit anywhere else. You get sketches from the Steve Allen show, bits of Danny Thomas' show which feature the Stooges in colour (on videotape!), the entire Ed Wynn Show that the Boys were on and a ton of other stuff. No doubt you've wandered into the videography section of this website by now, since I've got you drooling for this set!   :D

Seriously, it's a good enough set but it does have it's share of clunker bits, like-- Greatest Routines. Why's that suck? These are the same live-action intros for the Stooge cartoons that have been dubbed to death in other dime-store DVD's! Nothing rare, remastered or nothing, just intros, one after the other with only a couple of done-to-death cartoons thrown in.

With that said, if anyone has a complete collection of the cartoons, do let me know! Now, back to the complaining...

I would also caution anyone who is a Mike Nelson fan to avoid his stuff on this set and on the Swing Parade disc also from Legend. Mike Nelson made a career out of goofing on films and making it fun. What the hell happened? Is it just the Stooges that defy his brand of nonsense? Is it the lack of the whole MST3K gang? Whatever the case, his commentary/comments come off flat and rather insulting both to the Stooges and the viewer. It's like he's not just goofing on the material, but trying to make you feel like a dope for watching! Too edgy, maybe? Certainly repetitious, and just not fun, and MST3K was fun. I guess, in short, he's just Mr. Negativity and what this set needed was a more upbeat, objective presence to offset some of the weaker material. Someone like, say, Rich Koz, host of his own Stooges show. Hell, I'd even settle for Svengoolie over Mike Nelson in this case!

Oh, and the Hapless Half-Wits disc has four beautifully mastered black-and-white short films coupled with their half-assed, half-witted, computer-colour-blobbed mish-mashy counterparts. I say, bring on the complete, colourless sets! If there's any news you'll find it at Threestooges.net.

Until then, he says, patting his DVDr case containing all 190 shorts, we still have our preciouses! And we will... have... our... preciousssssessssss!
 Now, was that too creepy? I can never tell!   :P

-ThumpTheLongBoringPostsShoes
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:28:16 AM by ThumpTheShoes »

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Also, I saw this "Triple Whammy" DVD set and was wondering if anyone bought it.  There is 3 DVD's.  One is Live & Hilarious, but I didn't realize that they recorded their live shows??  Then there is Extreme Rarities, and another disc I can't recall.  Is this stuff that has already been released?  On the box it says this is new footage previously un-released?  I haven't seen it for sale around my area yet.  Can anyone tell me what is on them, and if they are worth buying??

VIDEOGRAPHY

Offline falsealarms

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What shows are on "Triple Whammy"?

VIDEOGRAPHY
Sorted in alpha-order by studio/distributor... page down to "Legend."

Offline falsealarms

VIDEOGRAPHY
Sorted in alpha-order by studio/distributor... page down to "Legend."

Alternatively, press CTRL+F and type in legend in the search box.