Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

How Is Heavenly Daze Included In the New Legend Releases?

Offline locoboymakesgood

I couldn't help but notice that Heavenly Daze is featured on one of the 4 Legend Stooge discs that came out recently. But how is this possible? It's not in the public domain. Did Columbia authorize them to issue it? If that's the case, excellent, because this is one of my top 5 Stooge shorts.

Why doesn't Columbia let Legend just issue the whole 190 shorts, then?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline JazzBill

I couldn't help but notice that Heavenly Daze is featured on one of the 4 Legend Stooge discs that came out recently. But how is this possible? It's not in the public domain. Did Columbia authorize them to issue it? If that's the case, excellent, because this is one of my top 5 Stooge shorts.

Why doesn't Columbia let Legend just issue the whole 190 shorts, then?
Are you sure there are 4 disks? I just bought something called "Triple Whammy". It has Heavenly Daze" on it. But it is only 3 disks.It also has "Hollywood On Parade", and some other stuff I don't have. ( plus a bunch of stuff I do have). I think Sony has the rights to the shorts, not Columbia.  
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline locoboymakesgood

Are you sure there are 4 disks? I just bought something called "Triple Whammy". It has Heavenly Daze" on it. But it is only 3 disks.It also has "Hollywood On Parade", and some other stuff I don't have. ( plus a bunch of stuff I do have). I think Sony has the rights to the shorts, not Columbia. 
Maybe it is 3, I don't remember.. I haven't bought it yet.

Either way, Columbia must have licensed this one short out. I don't see what's holding them up from letting another company take care of the shorts.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Are you sure there are 4 disks? I just bought something called "Triple Whammy". It has Heavenly Daze" on it. But it is only 3 disks.It also has "Hollywood On Parade", and some other stuff I don't have. ( plus a bunch of stuff I do have).

- Three discs in the "Triple Whammy" box set *
 - SWING PARADE OF 1946 (B&W and Colorized), sold separately

* Two, "Greatest Routines" and "Extreme Rarities," are also available separately.

I think Sony has the rights to the shorts, not Columbia.  

Sony is the parent company of Columbia. Sony bought Columbia from Coca-Cola in 1989.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I couldn't help but notice that Heavenly Daze is featured on one of the 4 Legend Stooge discs that came out recently. But how is this possible? It's not in the public domain.

Legend used library material they purchased from the now-defunct GoodTimes. GT used HEAVENLY DAZE clips in their 1999-2000 compilation videos, under the mistaken impression that it was public domain... Sony "pointed out" their oversite very quickly.

Either Legend licensed the right from Sony, or they will soon hear from the studio.

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
Legend used library material they purchased from the now-defunct GoodTimes. GT used HEAVENLY DAZE clips in their 1999-2000 compilation videos, under the mistaken impression that it was public domain... Sony "pointed out" their oversite very quickly.

Either Legend licensed the right from Sony, or they will soon hear from the studio.
I've seen the full Heavenly Daze on a couple of other budget DVDs a while back, (not Goodtimes) so maybe that's why Goodtimes took the liberty of using those clips. I assumed that Heavenly Daze had recently become public domain because of that. In any case, it is not on any of the Sony discs although it was on one of their VHS's, so good for Legend for using it!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!