Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hold that Lion goof

Benson · 13 · 10233

Offline Benson

OK-I haven't seen this one on the goof list, but notify me if I err.

When the stooges jump into their pullman, they decide to sleep off the night and remove their shoes. But when the lion hops in their bed and sits on their feet, they wake up and flee from the bed.

WHAT ABOUT THEIR SHOES? No sign that they're going barefoot in the ensuing chase of Slipp.

xraffle

They're still barefoot when they're being chased by Slipp.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I like Moes half socks. Makes em easier to wash...............

Signed,
IFleecem, President
AAM  :P

Offline Benson

Hey, you know what? You're right!

BUT.....
at the end of the film, Shemp falls on the eggs and his feel go up in the air and you see clearly he's wearing shoes. When Moe comes over to smear egg on his head, you see the whites of his socks, but I don't know if they're in shoes or not.

So....is it a goof or not?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Hey, you know what? You're right!

BUT.....
at the end of the film, Shemp falls on the eggs and his feel go up in the air and you see clearly he's wearing shoes. When Moe comes over to smear egg on his head, you see the whites of his socks, but I don't know if they're in shoes or not.

So....is it a goof or not?

This explicit citing is legit ... however, my copy of this ep shows both Larry and Moe's feet at the end, and Moe is definitely still barefoot. It's hard to tell from my copy if Larry was wearing shoes or not, but I'll leave it that he was in stocking feet. Congrats, I'll add your new found goof to the goofs portion of the episode page.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

ThumpTheShoes

Dirty socks... or slippers. But them ain't shoes.

Edit: Definitely socks. You can see they're already filthy on the bottom when the Stooges shift positions in the berth.

Capt.KSB

I've seen"Hold That Lion"

and Moe is barefoot in this

film.

Yet?

There is one scene..where the

lion is licking Moe's foot and he is

tickling Moe into uncontrollable laughter.

Which is hard for me to believe?

Because the lick from a lion's tongue

or from any feline is rough..like sandpaper.

Even a slight dab can cut your foot

open.

The foot used in that scene could

be a fake leg and a fake foot that the

lion's licks.

Because if that lion licked Poor Moe's

foot?

Moe would need medical attention.

Capt.KSB.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid

Dirty socks... or slippers. But them ain't shoes.

Edit: Definitely socks. You can see they're already filthy on the bottom when the Stooges shift positions in the berth.

Okay ... after countless RE-viewings ... I sorta agree. They look like slippers, but they are definitely NOT socks. Viewing your own video-pic, these "socks" appear to have soles, something socks lack. I'll withhold the "goof" until further, umm, err, what's another word for scrutiny?
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

ThumpTheShoes

err, what's another word for scrutiny?

Scrutiny!

[Expects a slap!]

Really, I think the copy that I have makes it impossible to tell whether or not Shemp is really wearing socks or if he has on some mock-up slippers-made-to-look-like-socks. It's just too dark to really tell.

I can say that I think he's got on socks, because of that scene in the berth where they take their shoes off. Shemp pulls his shoe off and we see that his sock is all black. Soon after, the Stooges shift position and shemp turns, showing us he's wearing socks that have very dirty soles (obviously from mucking about in a dirty studio).

Later, when he's getting pelted with eggs at the end of the picture, his feet go up and down and you can see that his left foot kinda bends like a foot in a sock.

But anyway, I don't think it counts as a technical goof since I think that an effort was made to make it look like he wasn't wearing shoes.
If they really were plimsoles, or something, I would never be able to tell from the picture.

Oh, and Capt.KSB, if

a lion licks your foot it

will not require immediate

medical attention!

It is true?

A lion's tongue is barbed,

though it would take nearly

a half an hour of continual

"goin' to town" to cause any

real damage!

A lion will take a bite out

of you before it could hurt you

with a "friendly" lick!

And where, oh, where did you get that style of writing from? It's like haiku from HELL!

-ThumpTheShoes

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Inspect.

(Haiku from Hell... Love IT!)

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Bammer

I saw 'Hold than lion" I thought that train porter was shining the shoes of the boys, then saw they were worn and threw them out of the window?  Am I right, or am I thinking of a different episode?

Offline Sadistic Stooge

I know in the Laurel and Hardy Short "Berth Marks" they do that gag .

Offline Lefty

Not from "Hold That Lion", but from the recently-added goofs:

"I come from a family of dancers. My father died dancing... on the end of a rope."
- Curly (ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, AN, 1941)

Curly uttered that line to Barbara Slater in "Three Smart Saps."

"My father died before his time.  He was hanged at 11:45 p.m. instead of midnight, as scheduled."