Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Was Moe TOO MUCH of a Family Man? (Or Not?)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Everyone that posts here somewhat occasionally knows that Moe was an avid Family Man ... (i.e., he put an emphasis on the family unit and the extended family).
HOWEVER ... if we were to compare his life choices with the ones we are making today ...
Moe COULD HAVE decided to take a "career oriented" approach to his near strangle-hold grasp on slapstick comedy and the movie industry ... I leave it to your collective imaginations to envision where this could have taken him and the boys.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline kinderscenen

That's an interesting question--I think he was both. Obviously, the career Moe was working rather hard, touring, making films, etc. I don't recall if a figure was ever given about how many days out of the year they worked (I seem to recall nine for some reason), so I'd say he was definitely career oriented. In his later years, he was almost obsessively work oriented, for both the need to perform as well as the love of performing--how else can we explain the fact that he (and the New New Stooges) were to star in "Blazing Stewardesses" mere weeks before his death?

As far as the family Moe, I think the overwork was part of his being a family man.  He wanted to provide a comfortable living for his family, he wanted to keep an eye on Curly, etc.  Obviously when Curly's strokes started, you have to wonder why Moe ignored the facts (unless Curly received significant rest, he was NOT going to get better), but you could say that that was a family thing too--to keep things going as long as possible.

It's rather complex--I usually hate when people try to over-analyse people's actions after the fact (though I've done it with the Stooges more times than I can count), but it is an interesting subject. As far as I'm concerned, it had to do a lot with the time, as well as Moe's temperament.  Whatever business venture he decided upon, it was an all-out effort, whether or not the results were good. (His 1920s venture into real estate).  To sum it all up (finally :D), it's hard to say--he seems to have been both. 
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
kinderscenen ... didn't mean to ruffle yer "Too many subjects about Moe selling out or not" threads. It was late at night and no one had posted that day, so just for the sake of a "post a day" I offered what you rightfully criticized ... thanks.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline kinderscenen

Oh, man! I didn't mean it as a "bash", but of just a discussion of what made Moe tick.  Of all the Stooges, his would've been the mind I'd like to have cracked, followed closely behind by Larry's. 

I've never thought that Moe sold out (whatever that means)--the decisions he made made sense. After Shemp's death, he looked toward Joe DeRita, his contract wasn't up, so Columbia stepped in with Joe Besser to fill out the final two years of the contract, and since he looked similar  ??? to Curly, the choice was made.  As for their transformation into kiddie icons, the best damn thing Moe could've done was exactly what he did--add another fat guy, shave his head, and give him the name "Curly Joe". Lots of fans hated it, but as a business move, it was pretty damed good.  I could'nt even think of the comedians that would've fit the bill at that time.  Buddy Hackett?  Hell, he was probably close in age to Moe and Larry's kids, and there was no way you'd be able to hide all of those wrinkles.

I could go on with my love of "psycho" analayzing, but I've rambled enough.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
The teams of "Howard, Fine, & Howard(s)" could never be equalled by Besser, DeRita, or (finally) Sitka as Larry.

"What You Are is Where You Were, Then" is a film/video produced in the early 1970's that basically says that the conditions in which you spent your formative years, determines how you will be/react the rest of your life. For our heroes... 1st generation Jewish immigrants from the turn of the century.

My parents grew up during the Depression and WWII. It explains why I can give them a case of used computer paper and they cut it into 2" strips to make notepads and grocery lists on the back of programs and test reports. Now I don't even bother. With HIPPA and PMI legislation, I shred everything.

Though I could get them a case of paper by creating and printing a FBA file of 5000 "1"s in card column 1. That'd take just a couple minutes!  ;D  But then they would spend hours cutting it all into 2" strips!

I digress... Besser & DeRita, not being from that "age of Vaudeville", could not ad-lib as well as H-F-H(s). We'll never know about Sitka because Moe died before they could shoot the last project.

And you can't blame Besser & DeRita for being "lame", they had big shoes to fill, and "What You Are is Where You Were, Then".

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

I think Besser started in vaudeville and DeRita started in smaller vaudeville circuits then moved to  burlesque because vaudeville was almost gone.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline kinderscenen

"What You Are is Where You Were, Then" is a film/video produced in the early 1970's that basically says that the conditions in which you spent your formative years, determines how you will be/react the rest of your life. For our heroes... 1st generation Jewish immigrants from the turn of the century.

Ah, that's the term I was thinking of!  Some of the decisions that Moe made would've been similar to ones that I may have made, but returning to work after Shemp's death AND using a "fake Shemp?" For me, that'd been the last straw, and I would've high-tailed it out of there, Miltowns in tow.  But it was a different time.