Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

#9: Fleetwood Mac

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
(NOTE: Music That Sucks is the correct opinion of the author. If your opinion differs try and make something of it.)

The soap opera known as Fleetwood Mac got it's start in 1967 when four former members of John Mayall's Bluesmakers (Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Jeremy Spencer, and Peter Green) decided to form a new band. The group's first two albums Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and Mr. Wonderful, were essentially blues albums that charted in the UK and collected dust stateside. Their most notable song during the infant stages was "Black Magic Woman", which would later be covered by Santana and become a big hit for that group. It was around this time Danny Kirwan joined the group as a guitarist.

In 1969 Fleetwood Mac became a Blues/Rock band and started to gain somewhat of a following beyond the European borders. The Beatles' own Apple Records courted them at one time, but to no avail. The group eventually signed on with Warner Bros. Records and released their first US major label album Then Play On in September of 1969. Green ended up leaving the group in 1970. Had this singled the end of Fleetwood Mac alot of pain and agony would have been spared on later generations, but nooooooooooo!

Another piece of the pitiful saga that was to come came into place as John McVie's new bride Christine joined the band as a keyboardist and backup vocalist. Jeremy Spencer would soon after leave the group to join an LA religious group called Children of God. Rumor has it Spencer was able to see into the band's future and wanted no part of it. Bob Welch stepped in for Spencer, furthering Fleetwood Mac from it's Blues roots. A couple more albums not worth noting were released, followed by another replacement in the ranks; Bob Weston for Danny Kirwan.Weston would depart after two more nothing albums, but by 1975 the "classic" lineup would be formed as the primarily soft rock married duo of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were brought into the group. 1975's self titled album would go on to sell more than five million million copies, with three Top 20 singles: "Rhiannon" which features vocalist Nicks and her banshee wail, "Over My Head", and "Say You Love Me". To say that this lineups debut was craptacular would be a severe understatement.

Here is when all of the soap opera bulls**t comes into play. The two married couples ended up divorcing before working on the next album. In turn, the "turmoil" in the band was the "driving force" for Rumours. I have heard this countless times, and can still give a s**t less. Apparently everybody was sleeping with everybody at this point, but the fact of the matter is Rumours is the most overrated album in the history of music. Record buyers in 1977 ate it up however, as the album sold 17 million copies. There is no accounting for good taste, as MTS continues to prove.

The first song associated with the album, a douchy little number named "Silver Springs" actually did not make the album, but became a Top Ten hit. Another song dripping of pussy juice, "Dreams" was the first single off the actual album and became the groups first #1 hit. The next single "Don't Stop", would annoy many a voter years later when Bill Clinton used it as his election song. The final single off the album "You Make Lovin Fun" is another piece of c**t rock that gives the sane listener a migraine.

Another notable song on this s**tsterpiece that gets plenty of airplay on classic rock stations across the country is "The Chain". The s**tty four part harmonies are enough to enough to send anyone to an asylum.

The 1979 followup to Rumours, Tusk was a double album clusterf**k that "only" sold over five million copies, despite going for $15.99 (at the time an unheard of price for a double album) and the album being played in it's entirety on Westwood One syndication networks. Despite the multi-platinum sales, Tusk was considered a disappointment when compared to the previous album. I personally wonder how anyone can actually sit through a double album of this s**tty music. Tusk also featured an appearance from co-founder Peter Green.

To begin the 80's Fleetwood Mac went on haitus, and Fleetwood, Buckingham, and Nicks all recorded solo albums. Nicks' album went quadruple platinum while the others went nowhere. The group reunited in 1981 to record another album of musical herpes by the name of Mirage, which topped the album charts in 1982 due to the strength of two more quiefish singles "Gypsy" and "Hold Me". After a tour to support the album the group broke up for the first time. Music fans who couldn't stand this devoid-of-masculinity music celebrated, but not for long as 1985 saw the groups return to record Tango In The Night, which was hurled at the public in 1987. The record buying public, never accused of being the smartest bunch ever, helped four of the albums songs reach the Top 20. After another breakup, 1990's Behind The Mask went platinum.

More breakups. More albums. More of the same old s**t. Who gives a flying f**k? Not me! Gosh I really hate this group!

Fleetwood Mac, music...that sucks!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

str8Nyuk

Im a little confused, Shemps....why are your cursewords censored? I don't like that business. Ain't been here for a while, but even tho' I dissagree with most of your music opinions, I totally hate censorship!

As to your take on FMAC...it's fairly whacked. Don't know what bag you were in in the late 70's, but those songs on those 1st 2 albums after Buckingham and his chick joined turned an underachieving group into a Monster!

The first time I heard it (During the zenith of the disco explosion) it was FRESH...different..new..music crisp, production flawless, and Lindsey's vocals were exeptional, as was his guitar work.

Of course, the follow up "Tusk", was Crap. But those 1st two....good music that would really help one get layed....getting layed earns big, big points from me.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I believe they are censored because back when I first wrote this article certain words were automatically censored. Believe me, I would never go out of my way to censor myself.

My "bag" in the late 70's was shitting my diapers, and I think that gives me an edge in music "before my time". I can listen to it with an objective ear and without any nostalgia attached.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
Fleetwood Mac couldn't have put out a decent song if they had "Lennon- McCartney" helping them.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Dog Hambone

I have to agree with str8Nyuk on the point about getting laid. A lotta chicks back then liked Fleetwood Mac, & they also tended to like "sensitive" guys who listened to Fleetwood Mac. Hey, it worked for me.

I admit that the music isn't that great. I hear it objectively these days & the nostalgia is a distant memory, & it really isn't even interesting music; just hook laden three minute pop songs.   

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
Are you guys kidding? Were you trying to be romantic and make love? When I first started getting laid, I would tear it up to Led Zeppelins "Whole Lotta Love" in the back seat of a car somewhere. I can tell you one thing, there wasn't any "Fleetwood Mac" coming out of my speakers. Ah,the good old days, a six pack of beer, a couple of joints, some Led Zeppelin, and some dumb ass bimbo in the back seat of my 1965 Buick. That worked out real well till I married one of them. [doh]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

str8Nyuk

Amazing....grown men bashing F Mac....You stinking little frogs that never put 3 musical notes together in your lives feel qualified to pass judgment on the single most successful group of the 70's...

You see, the reason they were good is because of SONG writing, lyrics and good musical arrangement....kind of like the best group of the 60's....you know who they were, don't you?  But unlike the Beatles, there were 2 members that were good singers..as much as I love the Liverpool 4, only Paul had a good voice...good, not great....The fact is that a good song is a good song, no matter who sings it.

Strip away your predjudice about chicks in rock bands....that raspy chick was a rocker, tho a flake in real life....Was John Lennon not a flake? A man that could get any woman in the world settled for that stinking no talent Bitch!

The simple fact of the new F Mac was that Buckingham could only compose so many good songs, he had the benifit of a large backlog of stuff before he joined Mac, but his record lable needed songs NOW...so crap was rushed out..he did not have a writing partner like Paul/Lennon...and the group suffered after those 1st 2 albums....You have a glass of wine, and put on one of those 1st 2 albums and listen to the damn SONGS!  And forget Shemps bullshit...after all...he was still getting  his stinking ass wiped by his Mommy when I was enjoying Mac in real time.

Insulting staff. S#1

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Are you fucking retarded?

I'm not talking about your defense of shit group Fleetwood Mac, I'm talking about your weak shots at me. You can talk up shitty music all you want, but don't walk into my house and take a shit on my couch and expect me to accept it with a fucking smile on my face, you fuckin' nimrod.

I'm not even going to respond to your comments about Nicks having a "rock" voice, I'm just going to ban your lousy ass.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I don't think I've ever owned any Fleetwood Mac. I may have booted a song from my older brother when I was 12 and just got my first real stereo. A chrome Sony with receiver, cassette deck, turntable. Advent speakers I still have 30+ years later.

I lean towards "Lonnie Liston Smith and the Cosmic Echoes" or "Johnnie 'Guitar' Watson". The last CD I bought were 4 copies of eharwell.com 's Ernie Harwell 4-CD set of baseball broadcasts. 3 are gifts... I'm keeping the autographed one!

Hey... Dunrobin... you're near me in Detroit... (Well, Flint. Close enough.)

Do you remember "The Electrifying Mojo" at midnights?

"Hold on Tight!
Don't Let Go!
Don't Say Damn!
Just Say 'whoa'!"

8)

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Dog Hambone

You're a stud, JazzBill. I'm glad someone was attending to the ho's while the rest of us were hanging with the classy women!

I got a good laugh out of that str8 guy's post. I don't think he is aware that there are musicians editing, reading, & posting here. And I'd venture to say that we have put many more than 3 musical notes together. Fleetwood Mac never did really appeal to any thinking musicians, because we recognized ear candy when we heard it. The band's diehard fans were mostly those people who couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket.     

I met a typical Fleetwood Mac fan when I was playing at a bar back in the day. In between sets, he cornered me & wanted to talk about Fleetwood Mac. He kept going on about how "Fleetwood Mac" & Stevie Nicks were "breaking up". He actually believed there was a band member named "Fleetwood Mac" (all this nonsense was fueled by alcohol), & he & Nicks were getting a divorce. I somewhat stupidly tried to set him straight, but got nowhere fast. Fortunately, I was able to beat a hasty retreat by telling him I had to get back to the stage.   

Offline IchabodSlipp

• Grapehead
I am probably one of the few that prefer Peter Green Era Fleetwood Mac over the better known Stevie Nicks period. To my ears, one is a progressive blues rock band from the psychedelic blues revolution and the other is this light pop rock band with this screeching female singer. I wish they renamed Fleetwood Mac "Stevie Nicks and the Nicked Band" to save confusion.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I am probably one of the few that prefer Peter Green Era Fleetwood Mac over the better known Stevie Nicks period. To my ears, one is a progressive blues rock band from the psychedelic blues revolution and the other is this light pop rock band with this screeching female singer. I wish they renamed Fleetwood Mac "Stevie Nicks and the Nicked Band" to save confusion.

Trust me, you're not the only one.  They actually were a good blues based jam band before the Stevie Nicks era.  Their early stuff was a different band with the same rhythm section, basically.  Genesis and the Bee Gees also developed into bands completely different from how they started.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
Genesis and the Bee Gees also developed into bands completely different from how they started.
Among other bands.

One band, Renaissance -- originally a Yardbirds offshoot -- had a 100% turnover in membership before their 3rd album. (And if you count the current "reunited" version, there has ultimately been a further 100% membership turnover.)
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Among other bands.

One band, Renaissance -- originally a Yardbirds offshoot -- had a 100% turnover in membership before their 3rd album. (And if you count the current "reunited" version, there has ultimately been a further 100% membership turnover.)

Funny, I have some Yardbirds stuff, but the only Renaissance album I've heard is there LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL album, decidedly post Keith Relf.  Great album, though!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stoogerascalfan62

• Bonehead
I've always wondered who did the vocals for "Go Your Own Way" and "Second Hand News" and one or two other tracks.

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
I've always wondered who did the vocals for "Go Your Own Way" and "Second Hand News" and one or two other tracks.
Lindsey Buckingham, in both cases named.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
I think they're OK.....for mediocre.  My wife insisted on taking me to their show some years ago....where I got completely blasted.  Needless to say I'm not gonna go to another lame show with my wife.  LOL.
Specto Caelum!