Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Disorder in the Court

Offline Ihaddadollaronce

After Moe shoots the "tarantula" in Disorder in the Court, the baliff  says he will sue them.  Curly then says something like "vise (wiess?) eyed kid".  Does anyone know what he is saying?

Pilsner Panther

After Moe shoots the "tarantula" in Disorder in the Court, the baliff  says he will sue them.  Curly then says something like "vise (wiess?) eyed kid".  Does anyone know what he is saying?

That's question that's been asked a lot about "Disorder." To me it sounds like, "Oh, vice-eye kid!," which I can't figure out. It could be a Yiddish expression (it's obviously ad-libbed by Curly), but I know some Yiddish and I can't identify it. BeAStooge or Stooge might know.

???

Offline Robbie883

I thought Curley was saying "Ah like i care" in responce to him threatening to sue him...but im a knucklehead so i dont know what im talkin about lol :)

Offline shempheadbat

"superstitious, eh?"
"oh, a vi-sci kid..."
it's a spoonerism/brooklynism of 'sci-fi', slangy kind of in the vein of 'oh you kid' or 'quiz kid'... i love those psychedelic moments in the really old shorts (don't get poisonal!), like listening to Popeye in the Fleischer cartoons muttering between the lines, or translating bowery boys etc...

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
"superstitious, eh?"
"oh, a vi-sci kid..."
it's a spoonerism/brooklynism of 'sci-fi', slangy kind of in the vein of 'oh you kid' or 'quiz kid'... i love those psychedelic moments in the really old shorts (don't get poisonal!), like listening to Popeye in the Fleischer cartoons muttering between the lines, or translating bowery boys etc...

That's as good an explanation as any that I've heard.

I like those "psychedelic moments" myself, bat.  One of my favorite old sci-fi movies is Howard Hawk's "The Thing From Another World" (1951).  I love the overlapping dialogues that go on throughout the movie.  And the old Bowery Boys movies are fun just for trying to understand what the heck Slip and Satch are talking about.   :D

Offline shempheadbat

;D  Yah, another good reason to get old (!) is watching the wartime Warner Bros. cartoons, now that I get the jokes!  They borrow a lot from Slip n Satch, and early Cagney and George Raft ("It's a GI-Raft, a giraft a giraft!")... It's amazing how densely packed those old shorts were, when ya give 'em a close, erm... what's a good word for 'scrutiny'?

Pilsner Panther

Moe does a perfect George Raft imitation in "Crime On Their Hands," flipping a coin in his hand and pulling down the brim of his hat, right after the Stooges enter Squid McGuffey's cafe. Larry follows suit, but Shemp ruins the whole tough-guy act when he tries to pull down the brim of his straw hat, and he breaks it!

;D