Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Soup To Nuts

Offline Robbie883

Hey I had a question about this, in this feature did Freddy Sanbourne apear as a 4th stooge? Or was he just an actor in the movie. And if he did apear as the 4th anymore?

Offline shempheadbat

Was he the 'Whispering Willie' (as Healy called him) character with the eyebrow trouble?  His number on the xylophone was outstanding!  If that's who you're talking about, I wouldn't say he was part of the Stooges as a group, but he was in a lot of scenes with them.  But he mostly played off of Healy and alone, not so much with the group...

Offline Robbie883

Offline Baggie

I've seen pictures of him, he really DOES have serious eyebrow issues.
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline garystooge

Was he the 'Whispering Willie' (as Healy called him) character with the eyebrow trouble?  His number on the xylophone was outstanding!  If that's who you're talking about, I wouldn't say he was part of the Stooges as a group, but he was in a lot of scenes with them.  But he mostly played off of Healy and alone, not so much with the group...

Fred Sanborn was indeed an actual member of the group known as "Ted Healy & His Racketeers", a group which also included Moe, Larry and Shemp

Last night I showed my 13-year-old son (a budding Stooge fan) the YouTube clips from the movie. You've probably seen them -- they condense the whole movie down to about 22 minutes which includes all the Stooge scenes and not very much besides. Guess what his favorite part was? Freddy Sanborn! Every time Fred appeared -- usually cartoonishly chasing the fire engine -- my son delightedly said "Freddy!"

BTW, note that Fred's character isn't "mute" like he's always said to be. He talks, but only really quietly and only to Ted (sort of like that catatonic guy from the movie "Dream Team").
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (Desmond Of The Outer Sanctourm):

Sir I will make my post brief.  I was wondering sir If you could possible tell what role that Clifford Dempsey staged in "Soup To Nuts."  It is not listed in the filmograpy section.  Thank you sir and hope I was not much of a bother.

Sir may the remaining portion of your week be poifect.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [stooges]

Dear Sir: (Desmond Of The Outer Sanctourm):

Sir I will make my post brief.  I was wondering sir If you could possible tell what role that Clifford Dempsey staged in "Soup To Nuts."  It is not listed in the filmograpy section.
Maybe someone else can answer that, but my knowledge of the movie doesn't go much beyond having seen the YouTube clips.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir:(Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum):

Sir just would like to say thank you for your courteous response to my post and for trying to help.  Have yourself a great rest of your week.

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [3stooges]

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Diane,

IMDB.com just lists Dempsey as "bit part - uncredited". Maybe others know more.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0021408/fullcredits

Have a "poifect week!"  :D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Dear Sir: (JRVASS):

Sir just would like to say thank you for your kind and helpful response to my post.  Sir I appreciate it.  Sir thank you and I will enjoy the rest of my week and sir please do the same.  If I do not here from you again sir betwixt now and the upcoming weekend may yours be a great and poifect one.

Thank you kindly:

Diane Elizabeth Hoekstra
Moron4392 [stooges]

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Hmmm. A perfect day...

My plan for today...

Columbarium - See the newly installed plaque for my Dad. Take picture for insurance.

2 family mausoleums in Detroit - Check to see winter damage (if any), and if flowers in urns were put out yet.

4 grandparents in Troy - Another Flowers & Flags check in the cemetary mausoleum.

Aunt & Uncle in the lawn - Have cemetary fix headstone if sinking into the swamp, again. (Pound some sand under it.) Before my mother sees it.

Stop by her house and spend another 40 minutes on the phone to Dell about her "freezing mouse" on her Vostro 1500 laptop.

I guess it's poifect because I'm not doing all this on the rainy days... Thu.-Sun. I also get to "introduce" myself somewhat more.

The church columbarium where my Dad is, the secretary knows me by name and voice!

Eerie!  :o

James

This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline KnGJr03

I have a question about a audio clip I heard but I am not sure I ever seen the episode on TV. This was the clip of the stooges doing the "Who's on First" routine. Would anyone know which episode or where this audio clip may be found?

Thanks in advance.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I have a question about a audio clip I heard but I am not sure I ever seen the episode on TV. This was the clip of the stooges doing the "Who's on First" routine. Would anyone know which episode or where this audio clip may be found?

The Three Stooges never performed "Who's on First?," on film or TV.

Abbott & Costello's classic routine can be found in Dunrobin's youtube favorites. The video at that link is A&C's live 1951 television performance on THE COLGATE COMEDY HOUR.

xraffle

Abbott & Costello performed the "Who's On First?" routine in one episode of The Abbott & Costello Show and in their movie, The Naughty Nineties.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Abbott & Costello performed the "Who's On First?" routine in one episode of The Abbott & Costello Show and in their movie, The Naughty Nineties.

I have a copy of the Abbott & Costello radio episode of the "Who's on First" routine ... (April 17, 1947) in which Joe DiMaggio asks Lou to substitute for him while he's recovering in the hospital from a foot operation.

The last line in the ep is ... "Costello: And a special goodnight to Joe DiMaggio ... get well quick Joe!"

This episode is also one of the ones that states the "Who's on First" routine is available on phonograph.
(Ask yer grandpa what a phonograph is)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline archiezappa

I have a copy of the Abbott & Costello radio episode of the "Who's on First" routine ... (April 17, 1947) in which Joe DiMaggio asks Lou to substitute for him while he's recovering in the hospital from a foot operation.

The last line in the ep is ... "Costello: And a special goodnight to Joe DiMaggio ... get well quick Joe!"

This episode is also one of the ones that states the "Who's on First" routine is available on phonograph.
(Ask yer grandpa what a phonograph is)

Ah, yes.  I have a copy of that radio show.  I have for years.  That one radio show is one of the best episodes of any radio show, ever.  There are so many good jokes.  It's Abbott & Costello at their stellar best.  I've heard a few other episodes of their show, but none of them even come close to topping this.  And it's more than just the "Who's On First" routine.  The entire episode has material on par with that routine.  It will keep you laughing for the entire 30 minutes.

The routine was actually written by Lou Costello.  So, it wasn't one of those routines that the Stooges would have done.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Ah, yes.  I have a copy of that radio show.  I have for years.  That one radio show is one of the best episodes of any radio show, ever.  There are so many good jokes.  It's Abbott & Costello at their stellar best.  I've heard a few other episodes of their show, but none of them even come close to topping this.  And it's more than just the "Who's On First" routine.  The entire episode has material on par with that routine.  It will keep you laughing for the entire 30 minutes.

The routine was actually written by Lou Costello.  So, it wasn't one of those routines that the Stooges would have done.

And here,for the Stooge public listening pleasure,is the ep in question:   enjoy!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline archiezappa

This got me to thinking.  (I know, here we go...) What if the Stooges had a radio show?  It would have been interesting to see how they would have done on radio.

Mattie Herring

True, but I don't think the show would survive long enough for us to be able to listen to it.

Offline curlysdame

True, but I don't think the show would survive long enough for us to be able to listen to it.

That's what archives are for   [cool]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Mattie Herring

Yeah...forgot about those...lol

Elizabeth

Offline Dr. Belch

This is a fairly obscure film that I've only seen once on AMC. That was maybe eight or 10 years ago, before they started dubbing in commercials and decided the Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock vehicle Speed counted as a "classic".   A frentic but largely forgotten little romp, it's perhaps most notable for
  • a script by Rube Goldberg, a man famous for his complex devices (one of which we see here)
  • the Harpo Marx-ish Healy crony Freddy Sandborn, who mugs and gamboles his way through the entire picture
    • the line a markedly younger and more clean-cut Shemp utters about wanting "baloney and whipped cream" (which Moe himself would use about 15 years later in Idiots Deluxe).
    I don't know about radio, but the boys did appear in comic books. It's hard to get an eye poke or a head bop to translate well to ink and paper, but it can be done.
    http://www.stoogeworld.com/_Comic%20Books/HTML/Dell%20History.htm
    http://www.newkadia.com/?Comics=3911

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
This is a fairly obscure film that I've only seen once on AMC... A frentic but largely forgotten little romp

SOUP TO NUTS (1930) was released on DVD by 20th-Fox Home Entertainment in 2005... the complete version w/exit music (which was not in AMC's cablecast).