Red Hot Riding Hood-Tex Avery

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
"Banned" Tex Avery MGM cartoon.

[youtube=425,350]dUDfNcB3x-w[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
LOL!  That's one is a classic!  Why on Earth would that be considered "banned"?   ???

Pilsner Panther

LOL!  That's one is a classic!  Why on Earth would that be considered "banned"?   ???

It's not banned at all... as a matter of fact, I have it on a VHS tape from Turner Home Entertainment, "Tex Avery's Screwball Classics, Vol. 2." It might have been banned from commercial television, though, as I don't ever remember seeing it on TV, and I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid (come to think of it, I still do). The first time I ever saw "Red Hot Riding Hood" was at an animation festival in New York in the 80's.

There's one Avery cartoon I know of that is banned, though, and that's "Uncle Tom's Cabana." For black stereotype caricatures, as you can probably guess from the title; you'll never see it in any re-release packages. Too bad, because it's a very funny cartoon.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, it's banned in the sense that they won't show it on TV anymore because this country has become a bunch of dickless wonders who are afraid of "destroying the minds of children" with a sexy Red Riding Hood.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Pilsner Panther

Yeah, it's banned in the sense that they won't show it on TV anymore because this country has become a bunch of dickless wonders who are afraid of "destroying the minds of children" with a sexy Red Riding Hood.

Amen to that! Another thing that makes this cartoon "politically incorrect" is the Wolf's suicide at the end— using two pistols to make sure he gets the job done!

[pound]

I should add, as a historical note, that Red's nightclub dance is pure animation, with no Rotoscoping (that is, tracing the movements frame-by-frame from a live-action film). It was drawn by Preston Blair, a Disney-trained animator who was one of the greatest draftsmen ever to set pencil to paper. Blair was also responsible for most of the hippopotamus-ostrich ballet in "Fantasia," and Avery used his talents on his MGM cartoons every chance he got. Tex's comment on Mr. Blair was, "He was a big, lumbering guy, but he could sure make 'em dance!"

Offline Robbie883

That's quite odd that you say it's banned. A few years ago Cartoon Network used to have a Tex Avery comedy hour and I used to tune in everyonce in awhile, and this cartoon would come on quite often.