Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Which of the following would you be most likely to purchase if available on DVD?

Poll

Which of the following would you be most likely to purchase if available on DVD?

Stoogemania (feature, 1986)
2 (13.3%)
The Three Stooges (ABC, 2000)
6 (40%)
Both
2 (13.3%)
Neither
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Offline Hammond Eggar

One of these movies was a biographical depiction of the Stooges' lives, while the other is a fictional account of Super fan Howard F. Howard.  Neither are extremely popular among Stooges fans.  That said, neither are completely horrible either.  These titles are still unavailable on DVD.  If they were ever issued on DVD, would you add either to your DVD collection?
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline OldFred

Of the two, I'd go with the Three Stooges tele-movie as it does tell the Stooges' story. Maybe not very well, but it has it's charms, including Michael Chiklis' performance as Curly. 

Offline metaldams

Neither.  Money ain't what it used to be, and frankly, I'd maybe watch each DVD once, only to have it collect dust with the millions of others I collect.

I'm just satisfied with the shorts having the proper DVD treatment.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Of the two, I'd go with the Three Stooges tele-movie as it does tell the Stooges' story. Maybe not very well, but it has it's charms, including Michael Chiklis' performance as Curly. 

I liked the tele-movie very much. Sure, we as uberfans know there are lots of errors, but most biopics are full of errors as well.

Michael Chiklis was superb as Curly, and if somebody else could have done a better job, than I'd love to see it. Wasn't this during the period between 'The Commish' and 'The Shield'? I never knew his work until he played Curly, and I watched the Shield for 3 years or so. It was the only TV show I watched every week.

Does anybody out there know what the ratings were for that ABC movie?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Hammond Eggar

So, there's no love here for Stoogemania?  Well, I can understand why.  That said, I did enjoy the premise of the film.  It's execution, however, left something to be desired.  It would have been nice if they could have used clips from Stooges shorts other than just the "public domain" titles.  Something else that sticks out at me is the constant bashing of Curly, the most popular of all Stooges.  There were at least three very noticable examples.  This always seemed odd to me.  Well, at least the film had the great Sid Caesar in it.  That's a plus.

At-any-rate, I can still recall being a kid in junior high and going to the nearby movie theater with my mom to see this film.  It was the only time I've ever seen the Stooges on the big-screen in an actual theater.  Perhaps it's out of nostalgia, but I'd add this film to my collection, just as I would the TV bio-pic.  Then again, they'd both gather plenty of dust, as I wouldn't be watching either very often.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Online Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I know that I've got Stoogemania on VHS somewhere, but I haven't even thought about watching it in years.  I seem to vaguely recall that it was only "so-so" at best.  I'll have to dig it out and watch it again, just out of shear curiousity.

Offline metaldams

Then again, they'd both gather plenty of dust, as I wouldn't be watching either very often.

Bingo, and that's the whole point I'm trying to make.

I used to buy things blindly in an obsessive completist manner 5 - 10 years ago, but because of the global economy, my personal economy, and just having too much junk around the house, I've become very selective in what I buy.  I hardly consider those two releases essential viewing, but if they are to somebody else, for nostalgia or artistic merit, more power to them.

The fact that I'm still buying the Sony sets as they come out in a limited spending time for me show how valuable The Three stooges Columbia shorts are.......and I already own them in some capacity, mostly beat up VHS tapes.  To have the films organized and restored is important to me.  The DVD's will save plenty of shelf space, and most importantly, they'll be played a lot, so it won't be money spent just to say "I have them."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

You make a good point, Metaldams.  That said, I think I was presenting the survey more in theory than in reality, as if money was not a worry.  The current state of the economy has caused a great many of us to cut back on spending in many ways.  As a HUGE Beatles fan, I still haven't purchased a CD copy of Paul's new Fireman release.  In the past, I would have snapped it up right away.  That said, if my finances weren't a concern, then I would indeed add these two titles to my DVD collection.  Of course, it would depend on price.  If these films sold for $20, then I'd probably wait.  If I found either of them in the $5 Wal-Mart bargin bin, then I'd be more likely to buy it right there on the spot.  Ultimately, though, I was just curious if these were titles fans would want in his/her collection at all, under any circumstances. 

Offline busybuddy

I think Stoogemania is in the top five worst movies I've ever seen. The premise was a very neat idea, but like Hammond said, the execution sucked and I'm sad that the Stooges' name is associated with it. I bought it a few years ago on VHS at a flea market just to have it for my collection. If it was out on DVD, I might consider buying it if it was in the $5 bin at Wal-mart, again just to have it for my collection and just pop it in every three years and just wonder why.

I liked the TV movie although the innaccuracies are quite noticable for us die-hard fans. But the acting was good and the parts where they re-enact the shorts were spot-on. I would definately buy it if it was released on DVD.

And Hammond, from one Beatle freak to another, if you ever want to see a bad TV movie, check out The Linda McCartney Story. I never knew Paul McCartney had a Scottish accent until I saw this film. :D Or that "what if?" TV movie called Two Of Us about what might have happened if John and Paul got back together in 76.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Hammond Eggar

And Hammond, from one Beatle freak to another, if you ever want to see a bad TV movie, check out The Linda McCartney Story. I never knew Paul McCartney had a Scottish accent until I saw this film. :D Or that "what if?" TV movie called Two Of Us about what might have happened if John and Paul got back together in 76.

I actually have enjoyed some of the Beatles-related films and bio-pics such as I Wanna Hold Your Hand and Back Beat.  In the case of Two of Us, it's based on a real event.  Paul did, indeed, visit John at the Dakota in the '70s.  That said, nobody really knows for sure what took place. The script was based on various interviews given by both John Lennon and Paul McCartney at the time.  While it was theory, it was interesting.  The part where John and Paul almost take Lorne Michaels up on his offer for a Beatles reunion on Saturday Night Live is apparently true  They were both watching SNL together when Michaels made his now famous offer.  As for the film itself, I did enjoy it and own it on DVD.  The actors were good, even though they don't resemble their respective Beatle that much.  Sometimes I like to play the role of Beatles philosopher and ask, "What if. . .?"  In that context, I enjoyed the theories of what conversations/events may have taken place during that infamous visit between John and Paul.

As for The Linda McCartney Story, I taped it when it had it's network broadcast.  I don't think I've seen it again since.  I'd have to rewatch it to give it a fair and proper assessment.  I don't recall it being that bad, though.  I don't think it could ever be as bad as The Birth of the Beatles or the Bee Gees' fiasco Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  That said, there were a few enjoyable musical performnces in the Pepper film.  I especially enjoyed Billy Preston's version of "Get Back," as well as "Come Together" by Aerosmith and "Got to Get You Into My Life" by Earth, Wind and Fire.  I love George Burns and enjoy Steve Martin so I will forgive them for their participation with that musical mess.

Offline metaldams

I remember that TWO OF US movie.  All I remember was "John" telling some old couple to piss off because they thought he wrote "Yesterday."

I guess you can say I'm a Beatles completist.  I have all the British albums, the Anthologies, the BBC set, Past Masters, etc.  Why not? With the exception of YELLOW SUBMARINE (which I have but listen to the least), they're all essential.  As for SOLO albums, I'm pickier.  I do have a pretty fair amount, though.  I'll collect more as the mood moves me over the years, but I won't force being complete.  I really doubt I'll need John and Yoko's avant garde Wedding thing or Ringo's Christmas album anytime soon.   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Oh, and for the SGT. PEPPER soundtrack, nevr heard the whole thing, never saw the movie, but I do have Alice Cooper's version of "Because" on his box set.  Pretty cool in a fun, campy way.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline WhyIOughta

Metaldams....Are you in need of a 45-RPM "Hey Jude" record, with "Revolution" on the B-side?  I'm not a Beatles collector, but I have one of these...Oh, I tried to e-mail you, but the system disallowed it...(grin)

Offline metaldams

Metaldams....Are you in need of a 45-RPM "Hey Jude" record, with "Revolution" on the B-side?  I'm not a Beatles collector, but I have one of these...Oh, I tried to e-mail you, but the system disallowed it...(grin)

My Dad actually has one.   ;D 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline busybuddy

I actually have enjoyed some of the Beatles-related films and bio-pics such as I Wanna Hold Your Hand and Back Beat.  In the case of Two of Us, it's based on a real event.  Paul did, indeed, visit John at the Dakota in the '70s.  That said, nobody really knows for sure what took place. The script was based on various interviews given by both John Lennon and Paul McCartney at the time.  While it was theory, it was interesting.  The part where John and Paul almost take Lorne Michaels up on his offer for a Beatles reunion on Saturday Night Live is apparently true  They were both watching SNL together when Michaels made his now famous offer.  As for the film itself, I did enjoy it and own it on DVD.  The actors were good, even though they don't resemble their respective Beatle that much.  Sometimes I like to play the role of Beatles philosopher and ask, "What if. . .?"  In that context, I enjoyed the theories of what conversations/events may have taken place during that infamous visit between John and Paul.

As for The Linda McCartney Story, I taped it when it had it's network broadcast.  I don't think I've seen it again since.  I'd have to rewatch it to give it a fair and proper assessment.  I don't recall it being that bad, though.  I don't think it could ever be as bad as The Birth of the Beatles or the Bee Gees' fiasco Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  That said, there were a few enjoyable musical performnces in the Pepper film.  I especially enjoyed Billy Preston's version of "Get Back," as well as "Come Together" by Aerosmith and "Got to Get You Into My Life" by Earth, Wind and Fire.  I love George Burns and enjoy Steve Martin so I will forgive them for their participation with that musical mess.

The SNL story is a pretty famous one. I wish they would have done it. Have you ever heard the recordings of John, Paul, and Stevie Wonder during Joh's lost weekend? I think you can find them on youtube. Also, have you ever read May Pang's book called "Instamatic Karma?" It has a great picture of John and Paul together in their post-Beatle years.

The main problems that I had with the Linda McCartney Story were Paul's accent, the fact that "Paul" had a giant picture of himself hanging in his living room, and the fact that they couldn't even get a few Beatle cover bands for the soundtrack. Instead they used the Turtles and other irrelevant groups.

Back to the subject of TV movies and biopics. . .

Has anyone here ever saw the Abbott and Costello Story with Buddy Hackett and Harvey Korman, or W.C. Fields and Me with Rod Steiger? I heard that both of them were terrible but I've never saw them.

I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline OldFred

Has anyone here ever saw the Abbott and Costello Story with Buddy Hackett and Harvey Korman, or W.C. Fields and Me with Rod Steiger? I heard that both of them were terrible but I've never saw them.

I saw both films. Valeri Perrine played Field's mistress Carlotta Monti in the Rod Steiger W.C. Fields film. I thought Steiger did a decent job portraying Fields. He purposely gained a lot of weight to play the part and he showed the more tender side of Fields.

The Abbott & Costello TV film with Hackett and Korman gave us a little background on Lou & Bud, but I felt that Hackett played Costello way too angry. The movie is highly criticized because of inaccuracies. I know Costello's daughter Chris was really angry about the film because of how her father was portrayed. The movie also ignored that she even existed, it concentrated on her baby brother who tragically drowned in the family's pool. If there weren't books out there about the lives of Abbott & Costello, including Chris Costello's book 'Lou's On First', you would have thought Lou only had one child who died tragically young.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I don't understand the hate for Stoogemania. It's one of my favorite movies. Last time I saw it was in late 2005. I lost my VHS tape. I grew up watching it all the time and still really find it hilarious.

There's a couple of lines from the movie I use in everyday life. One of my favorites is (when someone says something I don't understand):

"Uh, no speaka-da-whoo."

I actually started two separate threads on it back in the day:

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=858.0

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=206.0

Needless to say I'd buy it on DVD in a second. I think people need to re-visit it if you haven't seen it in awhile.. some adult humor is thrown in there, too.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)