Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Columbia DVDs

Offline falsealarms

There's no Stooge DVDs listed on Columbia's schedule, and it goes as far as 2/7/06.

It's troublesome that these DVDs are not being put nearly as much as they are - only one Columbia release in 2005, and that was a Curly Joe movie. It's also getting impossible to find the DVDs in stores, almost having to exclusively look online these days. So many shorts I'd love to get on DVD, especially Pardon My Scotch, Cash and Carry, and Movie Maniacs.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/upcoming.html

I know those three aforementioned shorts are on this fraudulent collection, which has the first 40 Curly shorts on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-THREE-STOOGES-8-DVD-BOXED-SET-40-EPISODES-VOL-1_W0QQitemZ6457807103QQcategoryZ617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Funny what the people selling that have to say - I'm sure Columbia would get a kick out of this. :o

"Please be advised that the works presented on this DVD are in Public Domain. Content researched finding all copyrights expired or lapsed thru time or non renewal. Accordingly, the manufacturers of this dvd claim ownership and are legally authorized to replicate without permission or license."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 08:14:09 PM by falsealarms »

Pilsner Panther

Funny what the people selling that have to say - I'm sure Columbia would get a kick out of this. :o

"Please be advised that the works presented on this DVD are in Public Domain. Content researched finding all copyrights expired or lapsed thru time or non renewal. Accordingly, the manufacturers of this dvd claim ownership and are legally authorized to replicate without permission or license."

Well, this is bogus— any Stooges fan knows which shorts are in the public domain: "Disorder In The Court," "Sing A Song Of Six Pants," "Malice In The Palace," "Brideless Groom," and that's it.

This "disclaimer" reminds me of the fine print you'd find on the labels of the old bootleg LP's, years ago. It looked legit, but if you read it, it usually said something like: "All rights reversed, all wrongs reserved. Copied right, 1980."

I'd say that this eBay seller is courting a lawsuit (pun intended).

As to the Columbia-Sony DVD's not being readily available and/or not selling well, what did they expect? They used the cheapest possible graphics and packaging, left a key scene out of "Three Little Beers," wasted time and money colorizing classic black & white films, and if they're wondering why the product isn't selling, it's their own fault. Fools.

Recent DVD's of vintage entertainment I've bought include "The Honeymooners," "Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, the First Season," two volumes of "You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx, and three of the four sets of Abbott & Costello features. Every one of them has extras on the discs, extensive historical notes, and excellent graphic design and packaging.

The Pilsner Prize (TM) for best presentation, though, goes to "Looney Toons, Volumes One and Two." Warner Brothers went all out on these releases, and it shows. That's quality! 

As of right now, the closest we're going to get to something like that for the Stooges is Mackinac Media's expanded documentary, "Stooges: The Men Behind The Mayhem." I highly recommend it, and Columbia/Sony really ought to take note of how well it's put together, and maybe learn something.

But it's probably too late for that...
 >:(

Offline falsealarms

That "Behind the Mayhem" DVD is great.

Anyone here buy that set I linked to, which Amazon is even selling? Interested in quality.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I have every single one of the Columbia DVDs as of today (finally added the only one I was missing, 'Three Stooges Meet Hercules'). I've got these in various places. I got my collection start with an eBay auction in the summer of 2001, when some guy was selling a lot of the Columbia discs. It was all the DVDs released up until that point, so I had an immediate collection. Then, 4 years later and a lot of money later, I have all of them. I also purchased the Fox DVDs from this past year (which, according to Best Buy, will now be Out of Print).

Needless to say I'm disappointed, because I'm a Shemp man myself and there's only a handful on these DVDs. I'm also a Joe fan too, and there aren't any to be found. Looks like I have to resort to that bootleg set from eBay.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

Maybe if Sony/Columbia would try selling complete Three Stooges DVD sets, then maybe it would be successful. Universal did that with the Abbott and Costello movies and the sales were good.

Offline CurlySteve

Is there a DVD that has over 90 stooges films? I watch em on spike TV on direct tv .Is there any other channel stooges are on?

Offline falsealarms

Are those two FOX releases already going OOP? I'd hope not, and BB's site still has them for sale....