The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Yankee Hating

shemps#1 · 24 · 13093

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
As the 2006 Major League Baseball season has started, it goes without saying that the New York Yankees (along with the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs) are one of the most popular teams in baseball. What you may not know is that the Yankees are also one of...check that, THE most hated and despised team in MLB. There are hundreds of thousands of websites, the biggest ones offering up various t-shirts, hats and other schwag with either "Yankees Suck" or some other variation on it. Players who leave one team to sign with the Yankees are often ostricized.

Before any Yankee fans out there try to say the my Point of View is tainted because I am a Red Sox fan (the BoSox being the arch-rivals of the Yankees); it's not just Boston that hates your team. One of the anti-Yankees websites was selling a Yankees Suck T-Shirt in not only the colors of the Red Sox, but the Mets, Orioles, A's, Mariners, and Braves as well. Besides, this column is not about pissing on the Yankees, you can find literally a million websites that do that already, it's about figuring out why the Yankees are so despised.

After doing some research I have come up with a list of the main reasons why there is so much hatred for the team from the Bronx (in no particular order).

#1. Too much money to spend

It seems like almost every top free agent lands in the Bronx. In recent years in particular their payroll has skyrocketed to mammoth proportions. It seems as though if the Yankees want them, they get them and pay too much money for them on top of it. Let's compare the starting lineup and rotation of the 1998 World Champion New York Yankees with the 2005 team that was eliminated in the American League Divisional Series (first round of the playoffs).

1998 Yankees Starting Lineup
1. 2B Chuck Knoblauch (aquired from Minnesota in a trade)
2. SS Derek Jeter (drafted by the Yankees)
3. RF Paul O'Neill (Free Agent, last played with Cincinnati)
4. CF Bernie Williams (signed as amateur Free Agent, entire pro career w/Yankees)
5. 1B Tino Martinez (acquired from Seattle in a trade)
6. DH Darryl Strawberry (Free Agent, last played in independent minors)
7. C Jorge Posada (drafted by the Yankees)
8. 3B Scott Brosius (acquired from Oakland in a trade)
9. LF Chad Curtis (acquired from Cleveland in a trade)

1998 Yankees Starting Rotation
1. David Wells (Free Agent, last played with Baltimore)
2. David Cone (acquired from Toronto in a trade)
3. Andy Pettite (drafted by the Yankees)
4. Orlando Hernandez (signed as Amateur Free Agent, Yankees first pro team)
5. Hideki Irabu (acquired from San Diego in a trade)

Looking at this team, the majority of superstars or soon-to-be superstars are either amateur FA signings or drafted by the Yankees themselves. This comes from the time when Yankee owner George Steinbrenner was in legal trouble and the majority of transactions were handled by GM Brian Cashman. Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez were not household names and ended up having their best years in New York. Darryl Strawberry was mired in drug problems by this time and way past his prime. This would be the first stint with the Yankees for Wells (who is now with Boston), he would be traded to Toronto for Roger Clemens following this season. Knoblauch, Brosius, Curtis, and Irabu had far from great careers.

Total Salary for the 1998 New York Yankees (including all players): $ 63,159,898
Regular Season Record: 114-48, 1st Place AL East
Won the World Series, defeating San Diego Padres 4 games to 0 (4-0)

2005 New York Yankees Starting Lineup
1. SS Derek Jeter (drafted by the Yankees)
2. 3B Alex Rodriguez (acquired from Texas in a trade)
3. CF Gary Sheffield (Free Agent, last played with Atlanta)
4. DH Ruben Sierra (acquired from Texas in a trade, second stint)
5. LF Hideki Matsui (Free Agent, superstar in Japan)
6. C Jorge Posada (drafted by the Yankees)
7. 1B Jason Giambi (Free Agent, last played with Oakland)
8. CF Bernie Williams (signed as amateur Free Agent, entire pro carrer w/Yankees)
9. 2B Robinson Cano (drafted by Yankees)

2005 Yankees Starting Rotation
1. Randy Johnson (acquired from Arizona in a trade)
2. Mike Mussina (Free Agent, last played with Baltimore)
3. Kevin Brown (acquired from Los Angeles Dodgers in a trade)
4. Jaret Wright (Free Agent, last played with Atlanta)
5. Carl Pavano (Free Agent, last played with Florida)

A much different team, but that can be partly justified by the passage of time at first glance. The 2005 lineup  is chock full of legitimate superstars. Texas was able unload the great but vastly overpaid Alex Rodriguez on the Yanks after a deal with Boston fell through. Sheffield is a straight up hired gun, having played for 6 teams in his career. Giambi is another big time signing, as was Matsui. Randy Johnson whined and bitched until he was traded by Arizona, to the Yankees in particular. The Yankees of 2005 made a bigger splash during the off-season, picking up as many big names as they possibly could, but it ended up for naught.

Total Salary for 2005 New York Yankees (including all players): $ 208,306,817
Regular Season Record: 95-67, Tied for 1st Place AL East
Lost to Los Angeles Angels in ALDS 3-2

Steinbrenner seems content to try to one-up the competition (namely Boston) during the off-season by signing big name free agents, forsaking what got them to those championships in the late 1990's: players brought up through their farm system, and some odds and ends that came together and gelled for some killer teams.

Take a look at the 2005 team salary, no other comes close to it. In 2005 only two other teams had salaries over $100 million, nevermind $200 million! The Yankees seem to have an endless amount of money to spend, and this tends to piss fans other teams, especially the smaller market teams who cannot hold on to players who might get too good (i.e. expensive). Let me state that I believe the stingier teams need to fork over some more cash or else they will continue to lose each year (ahem, Pittsburgh and Tampa), but the Yankees have gone over the deep end. Steinbrenner seems intent on continuing this tactic to buy a championship, but it hasn't worked. The Yankees have not won a championship with a salary over $100 million, only one team has: the 2004 Boston Red Sox.

At the end I will go more in depth in the year by year salary increases, but for now I'm going to move on to other reasons why the Yankees are so universally hated.**

#2 Nobody Likes A (Constant) Winner

While sports dynasties are often admired and respected, they also bring about alot of resentment. You get those sports fans out there (myself included when it's not one of my teams) that just wait to relish in the team's downfall. The New York Yankees have won 26 World Championships over the years, along with 40 American League Pennants. No other team even comes close to these numbers. Seeing the Yankees win year in and year out over such a time span has brought about an enourmous anti-Yankee backlash. Add in the Yankees fans who constantly bring up this storied past, even in the face of a current string of disappointing seasons (with their payroll they should be expected to win year in and year out), and the resentment continues to be fed.

#3 National Media Coverage

The Major channels to broadcast baseball games nationally are FOX and ESPN. FOX has a blantant slant towards the Pin Stripes, each year showcasing quite a few Yankees games during the season, and when the playoffs come around the series that the Yankees are in in the first round is always in FOX spotlight. ESPN likes to mix it up a little, by adding the Red Sox, and every so often the Mets or Cubs, but again the Yankees take top billing. The media onslaught that is the New York Yankees, especially when they are playing Boston, is sickening for fans of other teams that get little or no coverage. Even with the in-game commentary on FOX in particular there is a very strong Yankee bias. The fact that the FOX and MLB suits are practically begging for the Yankees to advance far each year doesn't help. Neither does the fact that of the last three World Series' to not feature the Yankees, only the Red Sox/Cardinals Series of 2004 drew high ratings. The Angels/Giants Series of 2002 and last year's White Sox/Astros Series were both ratings flops. Then again the Yankees/Marlins Series of 2003 was also a dud, along with another Yanks series which I will get into next.

#4 New York, New York

It's the biggest city in the country population wise, and the best according to those who reside there. Nevertheless there is a major anti-all-things-New York contingent in this country, in the southeast particularly. NYC is the basis for many movies, songs, novels and television shows no matter what year it is, and after awhile all the publicity that NYC recieves can be sickening. In 2000 both the Yankees and their crosstown rivals the Mets made it to the World Series. Billed as the Subway Series, it was ratings failure outside of New York. New Yorkers themselves are percieved to be rude, obnoxious, and overbearing to folks from the rest of the country. The anti-New York feelings went away in 2001 after the attacks of 9/11, but have since returned.

#5 The Yankees Edge

Over the years there have been many players who's careers have been enhanced by the mere fact that they played for the New York Yankees. Take for example current Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter. I am not saying he isn't a great player, he is. I'm saying he's not the fucking Messiah as the baseball media would have you believe he is. He isn't even the best shortstop in the majors. If were building a team and can sign any players I wanted I would choose Baltimore's Miguel Tejada. The two are both great defensively, just about equal. So let's look at their offensive numbers; their best years and their averages.

Derek Jeter 1999: .349 avg 24 HR 102 RBI (all career highs)
Miguel Tejada 2004: .311 avg 34 HR 150 RBI (all career highs)

Derek Jeter Career 162 Game Average: .314 avg 18 HR 81 RBI
Miguel Tejada Career 162 Game Average: .280 avg 28 HR 110 RBI

While Jeter has a better batting average, Tejada is a run-producing machine. His power numbers considerably dwarf those of Jeter's. Jeter has had one season in which he drove in over 100 runs out of 10, Tejada has 5 100+ RBI seasons out of 8. Yet many consider Jeter to be a better shortstop, and after Alex Rodriguez moved to 3rd when he went to the Yankees, the best in the game. If he were playing for Kansas City and put the same numbers he wouldn't be considered the best anything. Jeter has had the benefit of being on better teams, and the Yankees Edge.

Let's see how the Yankees Edge works with players from the past. Here I will compare "The Yankee Clipper" Joe DiMaggio with "The Splendid Splinter" Ted Williams.

Joe DiMaggio Career Highs: .381 avg ('39) 46 HR 167 RBI (both in '37)
Ted Williams Career Highs: .406 avg ('41) 43 HR 159 RBI (both in '49)

Joe DiMaggio Career 162 Game Average: .325 avg 34 HR 125 RBI
Ted Williams Career 162 Game Average: .344 avg 37 HR 130 RBI

As you can plainly see, both men were awesome. They were absolute terrors that make Jeter and Tejada look like shit by comparison. Power numbers are a complete wash, DiMaggio a slight edge in career highs and Williams a slight edge in career average. Batting average is a different story. That is considerable difference between the two, especially considering both of them have such high BA's to begin with. The fact that Williams played for 19 seasons as opposed to DiMaggio's 13 makes his numbers even more impressive. DiMaggio retired at 36, Williams at 41, and Teddy Ballgame still has a better career average in all 3 categories. Factor in that Williams played for mostly shitty Red Sox teams while DiMaggio played for mostly great Yankees teams and Williams' numbers become even more impressive. There is no doubt in my mind that both are two of the best players ever, but there is also no doubt in my mind that Williams was better. There is a debate that rages on to this day who was better, but I think I've made my case that DiMaggio has the Yankees Edge, and that's the only thing that makes it debatable. If Joltin' Joe weren't a Yankee it would be no contest between the two.

Hopefully I have given the uninformed (and Yankees fans) some insight into why the New York Yankees are so despised. Perhaps the next time you see someone sporting a YH hat (Yankee Hater), a t-shirt that says "Jeter Sucks and A-Rod Swallows" and a bumper sticker on their car that reads "I BRAKE for Yankee Fans" (can't do the circle with a line through it here, but you get the idea), you'll have an idea as to why they would want to spend their hard earned cash to express their hatred for a team. As for me, while I do believe the Yankees suck, I'll spend my money on Red Sox schwag...and some good weed.

**Year by Year Yankee Payroll Breakdown, 1999-2005

The last time a team other than the New York Yankees led the Majors in team payroll is 1998 (a year in which the Yankees won the World Series) when the Orioles were the top spenders and the Yanks were #2. Since then not only have the Yanks had the highest payroll, they have set out to target the top free agents and trade for the most expensive players in what has been a futile attempt to buy a Championship. A year by year analysis lets us pinpoint when Yankees owner George Steinbrenner unleashed the power of his wallet and the biggest market in the country, and just how fruitless this excessive spending has been. Starting in 1999 let's compare the Yankees payroll to the #2 payroll (as in the difference between the two), what their spending bought them, and if they did not win the World Series, the payroll of the team who did.

NYY Payroll:  $ 88,130,709
#2 Payroll: Texas Rangers $ 81,301,598
Difference: $ 6,829,111
How The Yankees Finished: Swept the Atlanta Braves 4-0 in the World Series.

NYY Payroll: $ 92,938,260
#2 Payroll: Los Angeles Dodgers $ 90,375,953
Difference: $ 2,562,307
How The Yankees Finished: Beating the New York Mets 4-1 in the World Series

NYY Payroll: $ 112,287,143
#2 Payroll: Boston Red Sox $ 109,675,833
Difference: $  2,611,310
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to the Arizona Diamondbacks 4-3 in the World Series
Arizona's Payroll and Rank: $ 85,247,999; #8

NYY Payroll: $ 125,928,583
#2 Payroll: Red Sox $ 108,366,060
Difference: $ 17,562,523
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to eventual World Champions the Anaheim Angels 3-1 in the ALDS
Anaheim's Payroll and Rank: $ 61,721,667; #15

NYY Payroll: $ 152,749,814
#2 Payroll: New York Mets $ 117,176,429
Difference: $ 35,573,385
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to Florida Marlins 4-2 in the World Series
Marlins' Payroll and Rank: $ 48,750,000; #25

NYY Payroll: $ 184,193,950
#2 Payroll: Red Sox $ 127,298,500
Difference: $ 56,895,450
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to eventual World Champions the Boston Red Sox 4-3 in the ALCS
Boston's Payroll and Rank: See Above

NYY Payroll: $ 208,306,817
#2 Payroll: Red Sox $ 123,505,125
Difference:
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to LA/Anaheim Angels 3-2 in the ALDS
Chicago White Sox Payroll and Rank: $ 75,178,000; #13

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Shemps #1,

You'll enjoy this movie: http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/videos/ (Click on "Bring Your Own" 4/12/2006).

The Detroit Tigers can only get better because they can't get any worse!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Gee, I saw that title and was all set for a good rant about asinine New Englanders, and I get baseball.  What a let done!   ;D

The Detroit Tigers can only get better because they can't get any worse!

Truer words were never spoken!   ::)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Don't know if I ever told this story, but here goes.

My Dad, now a Red Sox fan, grew up a Yankee fan.  This was back in the 1950's and early 60's, and as a young kid, he always remembered the Yankees winning the World Series.  He stopped following the Yankees for two reasons: Mickey Mantle's retirement and the fact he can't stand George Steinbrenner, who became the Yankee's owner in 1973, I believe.  When I was a wee lad back in the 1980's, I was at a baseball card show with my Dad and met two old time Yankee ballplayers, Hank Bauer and Johnny Blanchard.  Both seemed like nice guys, and my Dad happened to be wearing his Red Sox Starters jacket that day.  Hank Bauer sees the jacket and says to him something to the effect of, "What are you doing here meeting me when you're a Red Sox fan?"  My Dad replies, "Oh, I was a big Yankee fan back when you played.  It's Steinbrenner who switched me to the other side."  Hank Bauer had a HUGE laugh and turned to Johnny Blanchard and says, "Did you hear that, Johnny?" Johnny Blanchard just smiled approvingly.  Add to the fact Yogi Berra wouldn't step into Yankee Stadium until recently and I think it's safe to say a lot of those old-time Yankees, who I have much more respect for then the current crop, aren't exactly thrilled with the Steinbrenner era themselves.   
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
James, that was funny; it's the same way at Fenway too. When I go to the game I usually do without food or drink until after I've left. The only time I might buy a hotdog or something is when the GF is with me and she bugs me enough to want to spend almost $30 on dogs and soda to shut her up. Look for the new stadium to have a smaller seating compacity than Yankee Stadium; the Mets are doing this as well with their new stadium and seems to be a new trend in baseball. Lowering the supply of available seats increases the demand, and thus the price of tickets to the game.

Doug, Steinbrenner has single-handedly ruined baseball. His going crazy with the Yankees payroll has increased the payrolls of most of the other teams, to the point where legit #3 starting pitchers (guys like Burnett, Pavano, and Clement) are being vastly overpaid for their services. The other teams have to overpay as well because the NNY's set the table. Of course, again, it all ends up falling on the shoulders of the fans, who pay for it in increased ticket and concession prices.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hating the Yankees can be good for business
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

Mike Moorby hates the Yankees. And except for the fact that they haven't won the World Series for five straight seasons (Moorby loves that about them), the Yankees keep giving him reasons to hate them.

Now, they're messing with a little bit of his livelihood.

Moorby, a 38-year-old financial advisor from New Jersey, proudly admits that he feels as good when he sees the Yankees lose as he did when he saw the Red Sox win it all in 2004. In fact, he hates the Yankees so much that he started a side business, creating memorabilia for other pinstripe haters. Inspired by the pain of Aaron Boone's home run that prevented his Red Sox, yet again, from reaching the World Series in 2003, Moorby drew up a logo that features the interlocking letters "YH" (Yankee Hater) with devil horns.

The fledgling enterprise (Moorby's Yankee Hater company is called Rebel Forces LLC) sent a bunch of hats with the YH logo to then-Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar early in 2004; and in April of that year, a Boston Herald photographer shot a picture of the team's new ace, Curt Schilling, wearing one of them at a Boston Bruins' game. It was an immediate credibility boost.

Without a single piece of advertising, Moorby soon was selling hats from his YankeesHater.com Web site to people in all 50 states, and a handful of orders were coming from Europe and Asia. By now, business isn't quite as brisk, but Moorby says he gets at least one order a day.

Not surprisingly, the baseball establishment in New York didn't take kindly to Moorby's Yankee Hater merchandise. He says staying in business has meant tearing up a cease-and-desist letter from Major League Baseball; and he claims he has spent all his profits, appropriately, fighting the Yankees themselves, who opposed his trademark application that used the stylized Yankees "Y" in it. If things stay on schedule, final proceedings concerning the merit of Moorby's trademark will go before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board before the end of the year.

"I'm not going to go out with a whimper," says a defiant Moorby. "Plus, how many times in life do you actually get to play against a team that you hate so much? Who would imagine that [he] would ever go face-to-face with the beast? Well, I am doing that right now."

Officials with Major League Baseball and the New York Yankees declined to comment on the case. But in their filings, attorneys for the team wrote that Moorby's sale of items involving the word "Yankees" and the team's trademarks should not be allowed because the team didn't grant the entrepreneur permission to use them.

Two legal experts contacted by ESPN.com, however, say that it's possible Moorby can defeat the almighty Yankees. Winning a trademark case, they say, requires proving either that a certain brand has been compromised or that there is confusion about who is selling the product.

"The Yankees aren't hurt by this," says Marty Schwimmer of Schwimmer Mitchell, a trademark law firm in New York. "Add to that the fact that sports owners have accepted the degradation of their names and logos as part of 'good-natured' tarnishment. It's all part of the game."

As evidence, Schwimmer cites colleges that routinely make licensing royalties by allowing their mascot to be demeaned by an opposing school's mascot on merchandise, as, for example, the University of Alabama does when it contracts with a merchandising company in Auburn, Ala., that prints T-shirts featuring 'Aubie' spanking little Alabama elephants.

"This is the classic case of corporate paranoia," says Michael McCann, an assistant professor at the Mississippi College of Law. "If they try to make the case that consumers are confused as to what is being sold here, that's absurd. You don't even have to be a baseball fan to recognize the difference between a Yankee Hater logo and a Yankees logo."

Sensing that the Yankees might one day argue that point, Moorby says he mimicked a reporter's experiment of trying to give away Yankees hats at Fenway Park. While the reporter was, for the most part, unsuccessful, Moorby says he easily gave out his Yankee Hater hats.

Moorby also was pleasantly surprised to see David Ortiz wearing a Yankee Hater hat in an interview on the Red Sox Championship DVD, which was sold by Major League Baseball.

"In that video, they marketed my product to more fans than I could have ever imagined reaching," Moorby says.

Moorby says he's willing to continue to fight because he believes his business can be a greater success with the trademark. And although it's a hassle at times, he values the experience of taking on the Yankees at more than a million bucks.

Says Moorby: "I don't think they knew who they were dealing with."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2379891

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pilsner Panther

Professional Baseball used to be fun, and I blame George Steinbrenner for completely screwing that up. In the 80's, he made the Yankees the best team that anyone could buy. So, it became all about money instead of talent and athletic competition.

Which has ruined sports in general, really— all the greed. Look at what's happening here in S.F... or, don't, if you don't want to throw up. I live right near the Giants ballpark (close enough to see it out my window), but I never go to a game. Baseball has gotten too damn fraudulent, and Barry Bonds can suck my big toe.

[thumbsdown]

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
Professional Baseball used to be fun, and I blame George Steinbrenner for completely screwing that up. In the 80's, he made the Yankees the best team that anyone could buy. So, it became all about money instead of talent and athletic competition.

Which has ruined sports in general, really— all the greed. Look at what's happening here in S.F... or, don't, if you don't want to throw up. I live right near the Giants ballpark (close enough to see it out my window), but I never go to a game. Baseball has gotten too damn fraudulent, and Barry Bonds can suck my big toe.

[thumbsdown]

If Bonds thinks he's going to get a lot of love when he starts breaking those records, he can forget it. ( At least here in Chi-Town) He doesn't deserve to have his name mentioned in the same sentence with Hammering Hank and The Babe.That goes for Giambi, Palmeiro and all those other big headed, pimple faced freaks. And that especially goes for Chicago's own Sammy (Baseballs been berry berry good to me) Sosa. This walking pile of crap not only was "roided" up but he got caught with a corked bat. After they took away his steriods and cork, this loser couldn't hit the ball past the pitchers mound. Not only should they take his name out of the record books, they should freeze his assets and deport his ass back to the Dominican Republic.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 04:06:08 PM by Pilsner Panther »
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
Well I managed to screw that up somehow. 

Pilsner Panther

Well I managed to screw that up somehow. 

You missed a "close quote" there, Bill. Now it's fixed.

Pilsner Panther

If Bonds thinks he's going to get a lot of love when he starts breaking those records, he can forget it. ( At least here in Chi-Town) He doesn't deserve to have his name mentioned in the same sentence with Hammering Hank and The Babe.That goes for Giambi, Palmeiro and all those other big headed, pimple faced freaks. And that especially goes for Chicago's own Sammy (Baseballs been berry berry good to me) Sosa. This walking pile of crap not only was "roided" up but he got caught with a corked bat. After they took away his steriods and cork, this loser couldn't hit the ball past the pitchers mound. Not only should they take his name out of the record books, they should freeze his assets and deport his ass back to the Dominican Republic.

Bonds is not about to "earn" any home run record, because in order to do that, you do have to earn it, honestly. At best, if he passes the Babe's and Hank's homer records, he'll have an asterisk (*) after the number. Totally deserved, too.

>:(

At worst, Bonds will be as much of a disgrace to the game as Shoeless Joe Jackson was, because he's lied and lied and lied.

Then when he got caught, he lied some more. And he's still doing it.

[violin]

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
As the 2006 Major League Baseball season has started, it goes without saying that the New York Yankees (along with the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs) are one of the most popular teams in baseball. What you may not know is that the Yankees are also one of...check that, THE most hated and despised team in MLB. There are hundreds of thousands of websites, the biggest ones offering up various t-shirts, hats and other schwag with either "Yankees Suck" or some other variation on it. Players who leave one team to sign with the Yankees are often ostricized.

Before any Yankee fans out there try to say the my Point of View is tainted because I am a Red Sox fan (the BoSox being the arch-rivals of the Yankees); it's not just Boston that hates your team. One of the anti-Yankees websites was selling a Yankees Suck T-Shirt in not only the colors of the Red Sox, but the Mets, Orioles, A's, Mariners, and Braves as well. Besides, this column is not about pissing on the Yankees, you can find literally a million websites that do that already, it's about figuring out why the Yankees are so despised.

After doing some research I have come up with a list of the main reasons why there is so much hatred for the team from the Bronx (in no particular order).

#1. Too much money to spend

It seems like almost every top free agent lands in the Bronx. In recent years in particular their payroll has skyrocketed to mammoth proportions. It seems as though if the Yankees want them, they get them and pay too much money for them on top of it. Let's compare the starting lineup and rotation of the 1998 World Champion New York Yankees with the 2005 team that was eliminated in the American League Divisional Series (first round of the playoffs).

1998 Yankees Starting Lineup
1. 2B Chuck Knoblauch (aquired from Minnesota in a trade)
2. SS Derek Jeter (drafted by the Yankees)
3. RF Paul O'Neill (Free Agent, last played with Cincinnati)
4. CF Bernie Williams (signed as amateur Free Agent, entire pro career w/Yankees)
5. 1B Tino Martinez (acquired from Seattle in a trade)
6. DH Darryl Strawberry (Free Agent, last played in independent minors)
7. C Jorge Posada (drafted by the Yankees)
8. 3B Scott Brosius (acquired from Oakland in a trade)
9. LF Chad Curtis (acquired from Cleveland in a trade)

1998 Yankees Starting Rotation
1. David Wells (Free Agent, last played with Baltimore)
2. David Cone (acquired from Toronto in a trade)
3. Andy Pettite (drafted by the Yankees)
4. Orlando Hernandez (signed as Amateur Free Agent, Yankees first pro team)
5. Hideki Irabu (acquired from San Diego in a trade)

Looking at this team, the majority of superstars or soon-to-be superstars are either amateur FA signings or drafted by the Yankees themselves. This comes from the time when Yankee owner George Steinbrenner was in legal trouble and the majority of transactions were handled by GM Brian Cashman. Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez were not household names and ended up having their best years in New York. Darryl Strawberry was mired in drug problems by this time and way past his prime. This would be the first stint with the Yankees for Wells (who is now with Boston), he would be traded to Toronto for Roger Clemens following this season. Knoblauch, Brosius, Curtis, and Irabu had far from great careers.

Total Salary for the 1998 New York Yankees (including all players): $ 63,159,898
Regular Season Record: 114-48, 1st Place AL East
Won the World Series, defeating San Diego Padres 4 games to 0 (4-0)

2005 New York Yankees Starting Lineup
1. SS Derek Jeter (drafted by the Yankees)
2. 3B Alex Rodriguez (acquired from Texas in a trade)
3. CF Gary Sheffield (Free Agent, last played with Atlanta)
4. DH Ruben Sierra (acquired from Texas in a trade, second stint)
5. LF Hideki Matsui (Free Agent, superstar in Japan)
6. C Jorge Posada (drafted by the Yankees)
7. 1B Jason Giambi (Free Agent, last played with Oakland)
8. CF Bernie Williams (signed as amateur Free Agent, entire pro carrer w/Yankees)
9. 2B Robinson Cano (drafted by Yankees)

2005 Yankees Starting Rotation
1. Randy Johnson (acquired from Arizona in a trade)
2. Mike Mussina (Free Agent, last played with Baltimore)
3. Kevin Brown (acquired from Los Angeles Dodgers in a trade)
4. Jaret Wright (Free Agent, last played with Atlanta)
5. Carl Pavano (Free Agent, last played with Florida)

A much different team, but that can be partly justified by the passage of time at first glance. The 2005 lineup  is chock full of legitimate superstars. Texas was able unload the great but vastly overpaid Alex Rodriguez on the Yanks after a deal with Boston fell through. Sheffield is a straight up hired gun, having played for 6 teams in his career. Giambi is another big time signing, as was Matsui. Randy Johnson whined and bitched until he was traded by Arizona, to the Yankees in particular. The Yankees of 2005 made a bigger splash during the off-season, picking up as many big names as they possibly could, but it ended up for naught.

Total Salary for 2005 New York Yankees (including all players): $ 208,306,817
Regular Season Record: 95-67, Tied for 1st Place AL East
Lost to Los Angeles Angels in ALDS 3-2

Steinbrenner seems content to try to one-up the competition (namely Boston) during the off-season by signing big name free agents, forsaking what got them to those championships in the late 1990's: players brought up through their farm system, and some odds and ends that came together and gelled for some killer teams.

Take a look at the 2005 team salary, no other comes close to it. In 2005 only two other teams had salaries over $100 million, nevermind $200 million! The Yankees seem to have an endless amount of money to spend, and this tends to piss fans other teams, especially the smaller market teams who cannot hold on to players who might get too good (i.e. expensive). Let me state that I believe the stingier teams need to fork over some more cash or else they will continue to lose each year (ahem, Pittsburgh and Tampa), but the Yankees have gone over the deep end. Steinbrenner seems intent on continuing this tactic to buy a championship, but it hasn't worked. The Yankees have not won a championship with a salary over $100 million, only one team has: the 2004 Boston Red Sox.

At the end I will go more in depth in the year by year salary increases, but for now I'm going to move on to other reasons why the Yankees are so universally hated.**

#2 Nobody Likes A (Constant) Winner

While sports dynasties are often admired and respected, they also bring about alot of resentment. You get those sports fans out there (myself included when it's not one of my teams) that just wait to relish in the team's downfall. The New York Yankees have won 26 World Championships over the years, along with 40 American League Pennants. No other team even comes close to these numbers. Seeing the Yankees win year in and year out over such a time span has brought about an enourmous anti-Yankee backlash. Add in the Yankees fans who constantly bring up this storied past, even in the face of a current string of disappointing seasons (with their payroll they should be expected to win year in and year out), and the resentment continues to be fed.

#3 National Media Coverage

The Major channels to broadcast baseball games nationally are FOX and ESPN. FOX has a blantant slant towards the Pin Stripes, each year showcasing quite a few Yankees games during the season, and when the playoffs come around the series that the Yankees are in in the first round is always in FOX spotlight. ESPN likes to mix it up a little, by adding the Red Sox, and every so often the Mets or Cubs, but again the Yankees take top billing. The media onslaught that is the New York Yankees, especially when they are playing Boston, is sickening for fans of other teams that get little or no coverage. Even with the in-game commentary on FOX in particular there is a very strong Yankee bias. The fact that the FOX and MLB suits are practically begging for the Yankees to advance far each year doesn't help. Neither does the fact that of the last three World Series' to not feature the Yankees, only the Red Sox/Cardinals Series of 2004 drew high ratings. The Angels/Giants Series of 2002 and last year's White Sox/Astros Series were both ratings flops. Then again the Yankees/Marlins Series of 2003 was also a dud, along with another Yanks series which I will get into next.

#4 New York, New York

It's the biggest city in the country population wise, and the best according to those who reside there. Nevertheless there is a major anti-all-things-New York contingent in this country, in the southeast particularly. NYC is the basis for many movies, songs, novels and television shows no matter what year it is, and after awhile all the publicity that NYC recieves can be sickening. In 2000 both the Yankees and their crosstown rivals the Mets made it to the World Series. Billed as the Subway Series, it was ratings failure outside of New York. New Yorkers themselves are percieved to be rude, obnoxious, and overbearing to folks from the rest of the country. The anti-New York feelings went away in 2001 after the attacks of 9/11, but have since returned.

#5 The Yankees Edge

Over the years there have been many players who's careers have been enhanced by the mere fact that they played for the New York Yankees. Take for example current Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter. I am not saying he isn't a great player, he is. I'm saying he's not the fucking Messiah as the baseball media would have you believe he is. He isn't even the best shortstop in the majors. If were building a team and can sign any players I wanted I would choose Baltimore's Miguel Tejada. The two are both great defensively, just about equal. So let's look at their offensive numbers; their best years and their averages.

Derek Jeter 1999: .349 avg 24 HR 102 RBI (all career highs)
Miguel Tejada 2004: .311 avg 34 HR 150 RBI (all career highs)

Derek Jeter Career 162 Game Average: .314 avg 18 HR 81 RBI
Miguel Tejada Career 162 Game Average: .280 avg 28 HR 110 RBI

While Jeter has a better batting average, Tejada is a run-producing machine. His power numbers considerably dwarf those of Jeter's. Jeter has had one season in which he drove in over 100 runs out of 10, Tejada has 5 100+ RBI seasons out of 8. Yet many consider Jeter to be a better shortstop, and after Alex Rodriguez moved to 3rd when he went to the Yankees, the best in the game. If he were playing for Kansas City and put the same numbers he wouldn't be considered the best anything. Jeter has had the benefit of being on better teams, and the Yankees Edge.

Let's see how the Yankees Edge works with players from the past. Here I will compare "The Yankee Clipper" Joe DiMaggio with "The Splendid Splinter" Ted Williams.

Joe DiMaggio Career Highs: .381 avg ('39) 46 HR 167 RBI (both in '37)
Ted Williams Career Highs: .406 avg ('41) 43 HR 159 RBI (both in '49)

Joe DiMaggio Career 162 Game Average: .325 avg 34 HR 125 RBI
Ted Williams Career 162 Game Average: .344 avg 37 HR 130 RBI

As you can plainly see, both men were awesome. They were absolute terrors that make Jeter and Tejada look like shit by comparison. Power numbers are a complete wash, DiMaggio a slight edge in career highs and Williams a slight edge in career average. Batting average is a different story. That is considerable difference between the two, especially considering both of them have such high BA's to begin with. The fact that Williams played for 19 seasons as opposed to DiMaggio's 13 makes his numbers even more impressive. DiMaggio retired at 36, Williams at 41, and Teddy Ballgame still has a better career average in all 3 categories. Factor in that Williams played for mostly shitty Red Sox teams while DiMaggio played for mostly great Yankees teams and Williams' numbers become even more impressive. There is no doubt in my mind that both are two of the best players ever, but there is also no doubt in my mind that Williams was better. There is a debate that rages on to this day who was better, but I think I've made my case that DiMaggio has the Yankees Edge, and that's the only thing that makes it debatable. If Joltin' Joe weren't a Yankee it would be no contest between the two.

Hopefully I have given the uninformed (and Yankees fans) some insight into why the New York Yankees are so despised. Perhaps the next time you see someone sporting a YH hat (Yankee Hater), a t-shirt that says "Jeter Sucks and A-Rod Swallows" and a bumper sticker on their car that reads "I BRAKE for Yankee Fans" (can't do the circle with a line through it here, but you get the idea), you'll have an idea as to why they would want to spend their hard earned cash to express their hatred for a team. As for me, while I do believe the Yankees suck, I'll spend my money on Red Sox schwag...and some good weed.

**Year by Year Yankee Payroll Breakdown, 1999-2005

The last time a team other than the New York Yankees led the Majors in team payroll is 1998 (a year in which the Yankees won the World Series) when the Orioles were the top spenders and the Yanks were #2. Since then not only have the Yanks had the highest payroll, they have set out to target the top free agents and trade for the most expensive players in what has been a futile attempt to buy a Championship. A year by year analysis lets us pinpoint when Yankees owner George Steinbrenner unleashed the power of his wallet and the biggest market in the country, and just how fruitless this excessive spending has been. Starting in 1999 let's compare the Yankees payroll to the #2 payroll (as in the difference between the two), what their spending bought them, and if they did not win the World Series, the payroll of the team who did.

NYY Payroll:  $ 88,130,709
#2 Payroll: Texas Rangers $ 81,301,598
Difference: $ 6,829,111
How The Yankees Finished: Swept the Atlanta Braves 4-0 in the World Series.

NYY Payroll: $ 92,938,260
#2 Payroll: Los Angeles Dodgers $ 90,375,953
Difference: $ 2,562,307
How The Yankees Finished: Beating the New York Mets 4-1 in the World Series

NYY Payroll: $ 112,287,143
#2 Payroll: Boston Red Sox $ 109,675,833
Difference: $  2,611,310
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to the Arizona Diamondbacks 4-3 in the World Series
Arizona's Payroll and Rank: $ 85,247,999; #8

NYY Payroll: $ 125,928,583
#2 Payroll: Red Sox $ 108,366,060
Difference: $ 17,562,523
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to eventual World Champions the Anaheim Angels 3-1 in the ALDS
Anaheim's Payroll and Rank: $ 61,721,667; #15

NYY Payroll: $ 152,749,814
#2 Payroll: New York Mets $ 117,176,429
Difference: $ 35,573,385
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to Florida Marlins 4-2 in the World Series
Marlins' Payroll and Rank: $ 48,750,000; #25

NYY Payroll: $ 184,193,950
#2 Payroll: Red Sox $ 127,298,500
Difference: $ 56,895,450
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to eventual World Champions the Boston Red Sox 4-3 in the ALCS
Boston's Payroll and Rank: See Above

NYY Payroll: $ 208,306,817
#2 Payroll: Red Sox $ 123,505,125
Difference:
How The Yankees Finished: Lost to LA/Anaheim Angels 3-2 in the ALDS
Chicago White Sox Payroll and Rank: $ 75,178,000; #13

I am a die-hard Red Sox fan, and I grew up hating the Evil Empire just as Barry Bonds "grew up" using steroids!! Your posting was a very long explanation of the fact that the YankMes can throw money at any problem they have. I was at Fenway Park wearing my "Go To Hell Johnny Demon" shirt on the night of May 2, which got rained out without a pitch being thrown. Everyone broke into a "Yankees SUCK!!!" chant on the way OUT of the park that night!! We New Englanders are not just blindly loyal to the Sox; In the '80's and '90's, we all called them bums, but we were just happy to beat the Skankees when we did! I was even happier getting stoned while watching that 14 to 3 blow-out last night! A-hole can't catch a simple fly ball, and the Big Unit can't pitch to save his ass! The Stankees are just one reason why I'd rather eat shit than live in New York City! A cruel part of me wishes that Yankee Stadium had been located in the Twin Towers! That plane did come from Boston, after all!!!!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
Let me think now, last year there was a lot banter between the Red Sox and Yankee fans. It probably had a lot to do with the Red Sox winning the World Series the previous year. I just can't seem to remember which one of you won the World Series last year. Oh! thats right, I remember now.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, the White Sox won last year, and unlike 2004 when the Red Sox were the story of the year, nobody outside of Chicago cared.

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
Yeah, the White Sox won last year, and unlike 2004 when the Red Sox were the story of the year, nobody outside of Chicago cared.
What!!!!!! Nobody cared ? Well if thats the case , I think I'll write to the White Sox and straighten this out right now. The least they could do is collect all those World Series Rings and that trophy and send it to Bud Selig . Then ole Bud could send them to the team who really deserves them, "Boston"  ::)
To be honest , I can assure you , we couldn't give a rats ass what the rest of the country cared about. I was glad when Boston won it in 2004 , and you had a year to bask in the glory. Now we won it , the last time I looked , I still had about 5 months to bask in the glory.

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
The Red Sox probably have a wider fan base than any other team. We're the only team that can stand up to the YankMes and go head to head with them, despite their multi-gazillion dollar budget! We don't fuck around in the Boston area! I think I'm starting to see why they call Chicago the "Windy" city!!!!! Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!!!!!
[thumbsdown] [thumbsup] [thumbsdown] [thumbsup] [nuts] [nuts] [nuts]
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
So thats how it is, two against one. It's sabatoogie! :o

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What!!!!!! Nobody cared ? Well if thats the case , I think I'll write to the White Sox and straighten this out right now. The least they could do is collect all those World Series Rings and that trophy and send it to Bud Selig . Then ole Bud could send them to the team who really deserves them, "Boston"  ::)
To be honest , I can assure you , we couldn't give a rats ass what the rest of the country cared about. I was glad when Boston won it in 2004 , and you had a year to bask in the glory. Now we won it , the last time I looked , I still had about 5 months to bask in the glory.

You got me all wrong Bill. I didn't say the BoSox deserved to win last year; hell your ChiSox swept us right out. The ChiSox were by far the best team in baseball last year and you sure do deserve to "bask".

I was referring to the ratings for the Chicago/Houston World Series, which were abysmal. They were some of the lowest ratings for a World Series ever, while the Red Sox/Cardinals World Series had extremely high ratings. I was actually shocked that they were so low since it had so long since Chicago had won a WS, but I suppose Chicago didn't capture that hearts of viewers like Boston did.

Many New Englanders are transplanted throughout the country, on the east and west coasts respectively, and they tend to take their love of the Red Sox with them. The only two teams can compete with Boston in terms of fan base are the Yankees and Cubs (sorry Bill). If the Cubs were to end their draught it might be just as big as Boston doing it was; for some reason the White Sox weren't.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
(Detroit Cheer):  "Go Tigers! And take the Lions with you!"   >:D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
I know what you meant, I'm just clowning around. Hell, the Sox fan base in Chicago had been small until the last part of the season last year. But there is a change in the air, Cub fans are getting sick of that lovable loser tag they carry. Now they are starting to ask " how come the Red Sox and White Sox can do it and we can't ?"  I actually heard the Cubs getting booed in their own ballpark today.( As they were getting trounced by San Diego ) But as long as those dumb north siders fill the ballpark every day, management has no reason to worry about the quality of the product on the field.

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
The Red Sox probably have a wider fan base than any other team. We're the only team that can stand up to the YankMes and go head to head with them, despite their multi-gazillion dollar budget! We don't fuck around in the Boston area! I think I'm starting to see why they call Chicago the "Windy" city!!!!! Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!!!!!
[thumbsdown] [thumbsup] [thumbsdown] [thumbsup] [nuts] [nuts] [nuts]
I'm not sure what you meant by the'' windy " city remark. I think you might mean that I'm posting too much. You might be right ! I bet about 30% of the total posting on the site are me shooting off about something. Well,your in luck.I'm on vacation next week and I'll be taking off for a few days on my bike. So enjoy the peace and quite while you can. Because when I get back, I'll be explaining to you and Jim why the Red Sox should go after Barry Bonds this off season, when the Giants try to unload him.  ;D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
He'd probably be a better in New York, or Baltimore were all the Roidsmen (Palmeiro and Sosa anyway) go out to pasture.

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
Well, today's the day. And what a sad day it is. For people who love baseball and for the game itself. That walking piece of shit Barry Bonds finally passed the Babe. Too bad he did it in front of his home crowd. I hear that is where he wanted to do it. Hopefully, he is too messed up to catch Hank. Fuck Barry Bonds

Offline Curly4444

• Numbskull
Well i might not agree with most of your music dis-likes, i agree with you on this. I hate the Yankeees.

You forgot: #6 The Yankees Arrogance

The Yankee's are the most arrogant Fuc7ers in all of baseball. The most arrogant of all is that dam Derek Jeter.