Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

I'll Never Heil Again (1941)

metaldams · 21 · 13334

Offline metaldams

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/56
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033746/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I suppose this would be the closest we have to a Stooge sequel, obviously referring to YOU NAZTY SPY as being the original.  Moe Hailstone and the boys are back, and my feelings on this short are very similar to that of it's predecessor.  I find great value in the film, there are some enjoyable moments, I recognize the film's importance, but overall, just way to serious and tragic a topic for me when I'm in the mood for Stooging.  I know others find this to be a masterpiece and swear by this one, and I look forward to hearing those opinions, but for me it's just a grim reminder how awful government can be, and how the masses continually allow these tyrants to rule their lives.  But enough of my soapbox rantings, this is about the Stooges.  It's just that occasionally Stooging and reality clash.  I prefer a pie in the face of a baron or countess myself, but that's just me.

I do enjoy the map, and feel the Hayes office must've been asleep.  Yes, there's "Giva Dam," but did anyone else notice how "Big Zipper," "Bulge-Area'," and "Slap Happia" are all located right next to each other?  Yowzas!  Arguably the most risqué thing to appear in a Stooge film.

The action in this one is really fast paced and the constant stream of gags and puns reminds me of the pacing of a Paramount Marx Brothers film.  Anyone else think that?

Again, a valuable short, but I think others will be better served to talk about the greatness of this one than I.  Next week we get to discuss my número dos short of all-time, so I'll be looking forward to that one.

8/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:34:31 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think this short starts the beginning of one of the best stretches of stooges shorts you will find in the Curly era. Now that I think about it, there were some earlier years where you had 3 certifiable hits released in succession: 1936 with Movie Maniacs, Half-Shot Shooters and Disorder in the Court.

Or how about 1935: Pardon My Scotch, Hoi Polloi and Three Little Beers released back to back to back.

At any rate, I'll Never Heil Again is near perfect in my eyes. "Field Marshall come over right away!" "I'll come over when I'm ready." Btw, did Larry try limping through this short like he did in Nazty Spy! I can't recall whether he did or not...

The Bey of Rum was a bit of a hoot himself (You Burn up me!) And the ending fight over Hailstone's world is the highlight of the short. "You nitwit, you shattered my world."

9.5 out of 10...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

The Bey of Rum was a bit of a hoot himself (You Burn up me!) And the ending fight over Hailstone's world is the highlight of the short. "You nitwit, you shattered my world."

I suppose the football game/wrestling match battle for "the world" is quite entertaining.  A nice fun bit of symbolism and some good physical comedy thrown in.

By the way, it's worth mentioning this is another WWII themed short before America's involvement, the second and final one.  No mention of U.S. interest in this one, strictly European themed. This will change for future WWII themed shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

I am curious if this short is
liked better than You Natzy Spy?
Niagara Falls

Offline metaldams

I am curious if this short is
liked better than You Natzy Spy?

They're roughly equal to me.  Heil currently has a higher rating on this site by a whole three one hundredths of a point and You Nazty Spy wins on imdb 7.7 to 7.6, so I'd say they're about even.

Most importantly, what's your take?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
To say I have anything but pure adoration and idol worship for this short is a total, disgusting lie.  I love it!  In my mind, this is Moe's single greatest acting job in all of the Stooge shorts.  Never before or after does Moe (A) get to display the childish immaturity usually given to Curly, Shemp, or Joe, (B) act like such a skunk toward his co-stars, (C) dominate the screen time as much, and (D) display such a wide variety of acting skills.

This short is the greatest display of humor as we see much of the childish word-play of the Stooges (Amscray, Umpchay, Great Mitten, etc.), the typical slap-stick, and the more adult humor seen in products such as the Marx brothers or even more modern products like Mary Tyler Moore and the Golden Girls (the map, the WWII references, etc.)

The battle of the Axis powers was well-played and prophetic.  As an Italian, I love the whole "Chizzolini" concept.  The Bey of Rum and his hooka was 70 years ahead of its time, especially when Curly burns up everything, including the Bey's beard!

"As minister of propaganda, I wanna report that the people ---" "I am not INTERESTED in the PEOPLE!"  Really?  You heartless SOB, no wonder you die! 

When they speak of the turkey, it seems appropriate to have this: "I'll wipe out Greece!" "Wait a minute....Chissolini tried it, and look what happened!"  Lost in this is the subtle joke of them eating TURKEY!  The temper tantrum that follows is a classic moment that would have normally been given to Curly.

"We bombed fifty-six hospitals, eighty-five schools, forty-two kindergartens, four cemeteries and other Vital Military Objects with our Stelka Bombers." 
A disturbing moment thrown in here to cue the viewers that even though the Stooges are all about fun-and-games, war is still a serious topic that must be treated appropriately.

""Now, that we have captured all of Star-Vania, we must take Great Mitten!" "Yah-Yah!" "Yah!" "Yah, you were gonna Blitz-Kreeg Great Mitten by the middle of August!" "Then you said, Septober, then Octember, it's now in the middle of Novonder, and we ain't there yet!" "Well, Novonder, I didn't say what year!" "I don't understand it, it's only twenty miles!" "Yeah, I could skip it!" "Then, skip it!"   As I mentioned, the verbal humor is treated properly.  Moe is quite adequate in his mimicry of the famous dictator-who-shall-not-be-named.  Eh, let's just skip it!  Who needs Great Mitten anyway?  It's not like they have an Enigma Machine or something... Whoops!

"This is a pool game, not a blitzkreig...I think I'll invade you!"  What?  Of course the dictator is aloud to cheat, since he dictates the rules!  How about a cue stick for your nose.

"Do you have anything on tonight?" "No, not a thing." "You'll catch cold." [Rowrff!]  This line is just too much, and it's sad that it probably goes over the heads of 90% of the population.

As I said, I love it!  10/10!  No Les, no Mohr!  This short to me is one of the best-acted with one of the best plots; it should be in the list of historically significant films.  Even with the dark topic, it showcases U.S. sentiment toward the Axis Allies even before the U.S. entered the war.

I understand that this rubs people the wrong way because of the black humor, but then again anything that does not involve blue humor or hatred toward a race/religion/nationality is acceptable.  I have never seen it before, but I would probably love DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB.  One must simply understand that it's humor and that these things happened.  I'm sure people would laugh and rate it more highly if WWII had NOT happened and that it was a fictional war being mocked.

Was that enough for you?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I understand that this rubs people the wrong way because of the black humor, but then again anything that does not involve blue humor or hatred toward a race/religion/nationality is acceptable.  I have never seen it before, but I would probably love DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB.  One must simply understand that it's humor and that these things happened.  I'm sure people would laugh and rate it more highly if WWII had NOT happened and that it was a fictional war being mocked.

I can deal with black humor in a lot of circumstances (DUCK SOUP and DR. STRANGELOVE, for example), and I realize my feelings on some of these WWII shorts are in the minority, but let's just say I have my personal reasons why this rubs me the wrong way and leave it at that other than saying, yeah, WWII is a big reason for my feelings. I also understand I am in the minority and completely respect any positive point of view on this short, so your point of view is great to hear.  Great review on your part, I dig your passion.

By the way, you'll definitely enjoy DR. STRANGELOVE, as do I.   Peter Sellers is incredible in that film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

I will rate this a 9.  In comparison with Natzy Spy I take Natzy Spy by a nose (It's horse racing season)

Moe does a great Hitler.  I like how Curly stands up to Moe in the short. The picture taking Japanese is funny.

Great play on words in this short.

Summary states that the maid is unidentified. Is that still true? We do not know who played the maid?
Niagara Falls

Offline HELLOLARRY

Of the two (if we're comparing), I prefer I'll Never Heil Again to You Nazty Spy!. I find it the more entertaining of the two however I think as a batch, their WWII themed shorts are just so-so. I personally don't think the Stooges were as adept at the verbal wordplay these types of films called for.

My favorites are They Stooge to Conga and No Dough Boys because they're the most 'stoogy' out of all of them. 'Conga' because it's so cartoonishly over the top in it's 'violence' and No Dough Boys because it's very clever in acrobatic act scenes. In both of these, they are still the Stooges and foil the bad guys which is what makes their films strong. With 'Spy' and 'Heil' they are stepping out of their comfort zone of what made them tick and they are more awkward than entertaining but still very interesting.

Offline JazzBill

I favor this short over You Nazty Spy but not by much. I don't consider either one of them to be in my favorites list. I do enjoy the fact that Moe plays a bigger roll than usual, he makes a good Hitler.  I did enjoy seeing Curly smoking a water pipe and getting a crank phone call . All in all I consider this an average short and rate it an 8. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

With 'Spy' and 'Heil' they are stepping out of their comfort zone of what made them tick and they are more awkward than entertaining but still very interesting.

I don't know if you agree with this, but I think this comment and what I said about this being like a Marx Brothers Paramont film go hand in hand.

As far as my take on the WWII shorts, there's one or two upcoming ones I really like, some that are kind of in the middle, and one that I throw into a Spinal Tap like "shit sandwich" review.  Those shorts should be fun to discuss.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I can deal with black humor in a lot of circumstances (DUCK SOUP and DR. STRANGELOVE, for example), and I realize my feelings on some of these WWII shorts are in the minority, but let's just say I have my personal reasons why this rubs me the wrong way and leave it at that other than saying, yeah, WWII is a big reason for my feelings. I also understand I am in the minority and completely respect any positive point of view on this short, so your point of view is great to hear.  Great review on your part, I dig your passion.

By the way, you'll definitely enjoy DR. STRANGELOVE, as do I.   Peter Sellers is incredible in that film.

If you have reasons, I can't argue.  You probably won't see this long of a review again, but there are other films that I am this passionate for, especially the Shemp shorts.   NOTE: my HOOFS AND GOOFS review will be labeled 'NSFW'
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline JazzBill

"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

We need somebody to video review these WWII themed shorts Hitler style like above.  That would be hysterically bizzare.

You'd have to be a metalhead to get it, but the best one of those on you tube (and there are many), is Hitler reviewing the new Morbid Angel album.  My gut hurt from laughter.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Related tangent...

A bonus featurette on THE MONUMENTS MEN Blu has a behind-the-scenes moment where a docu-camera picks up audio from one of the cast/crew, "Schikelgruber... that's what Moe always called him."

Offline BeatleShemp

I love that this is a sequel to one of the greatest shorts in the Stooges' output.  And this one is pretty good as well.  I love that Moe has the Hitler moustache in this one.  I love when Curly pokes him in the eye and rips Moe's moustache off in the pool game, and Moe shouts "Give me back my personality!!!"  Adler and Bruckman were so good co-writing shorts together, and this is no exception.  I do find this short a little under YOU NAZTY SPY! but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. 

I asked this question before, but I think i posted it in the wrong place: does anyone know what kind of accent Mary Ainslee is sporting?  She has the same voice in all her appearances, so I don't think she's putting it on just for this one, but it seems like nobody else's, just totally idiosyncratic.  Anyone know where she's actually from?

Offline Freddie Sanborn

IMDb has her birthplace as Norfolk Virginia, whose citizens pretty much speak standard American English. Maybe it was simply an affect.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline metaldams

IMDb has her birthplace as Norfolk Virginia, whose citizens pretty much speak standard American English. Maybe it was simply an affect.

Being born in Norfolk, VA. I double the affect theory for Mary Ainslee. 

She was quite the looker in her day and I thought she did a good job in her few Stooge roles, put on accent or not.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The memorable closing shot in "I'll Never Heil Again" was Stan Laurel's original ending for "Block-Heads," but Hal Roach nixed it.

A classic political satire that surpasses "You Nazty Spy!" — it's funnier, better paced and, most importantly, Moe wears his Hitler mustache throughout the entire short. One of Jules White's finest achievements.

9/10

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

I really like this one, but it simply can't live up to "You Natzy Spy" which (spoiler alert) ranks in my Top 5.  This one just misses the Top 50, coming in at #51.