Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 336908

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Concerning the phrase "Oh, a wise guy!":

I've been making my way through the shorts on DVD in roughly chronological order, and I noticed something when I got to A Ducking They Did Go. When the duck sprays Curly with a jet of water and Curly responds with the now famous line, "Oh, a wise guy!", it occurred to me that I could not recall any previous short in which Curly (or either of the other Stooges) uses that line. Moreover, I haven't yet found a subsequent short (I haven't yet viewed all of them, but I'm close to the end of the ones with Curly) in which that line occurs. So is this famous line really used only in this one short?
Just saw Moe using the same line in Half-Wits' Holiday upon being sprayed in the face by another bird---a turkey carcass that he is washing in preparation for cooking.

Offline Boid Brain

There are discussions scattered on the internets about the foot tickling scene. Apparently, on some syndication versions it was left out entirely, which led some folks to believe that they remembered seeing a much longer version.

Based on the discussions, it seems like some folks are mixing vague memories of the tickling bit from Self-Made Maids with this short.

Along the same lines, I wonder if anyone has ever located that missing footage from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, where Mia Sara disrobes at the pool! I'm sure I saw that, either on a network airing or in the theater, I'm just not sure which..  >:D
Thump, I can't see any way in hell that that scene would be cut. I'm thinking that you are confusing the film with "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", with the mouth watering Phoebe Cates!

I don't remember EVER seeing nudity in a John Hughs movie. A few examples: Pretty in pink, the Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Weird Science (too bad!) Bueller and I think St. Elmo's Fire.

Offline FineBari3

I don't remember EVER seeing nudity in a John Hughs movie. A few examples: Pretty in pink, the Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Weird Science (too bad!) Bueller and I think St. Elmo's Fire.

Yes, you are right. All of those except the Breakfast Club were rated PG. (No PG-13 yet)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

ThumpTheShoes

Thump, I can't see any way in hell that that scene would be cut. I'm thinking that you are confusing the film with "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", with the mouth watering Phoebe Cates!

You're right! I was simply making light of the fact that the same misunderstanding occurred with that John Hughes picture. Folks on the internets swear that they've seen footage from "Ferris" that doesn't exist. Much like the tickle fetishists are sure that there's more Stooge "footage" to be found! LOL
Hence, the little devil icon to indicate mischief.

Offline sages4stooges

I posted a message to the webmaster before seeing this thread (Sorry Dunrobin!)  I also joined with just one question, but will comply with the 10 (15--?) post requirement. 

Just in case I get lucky on this thread, here is my question for the "Questions and Answers" section:

subject line: "mind reader" triple slap with purse...
What Curly episode was that brief scene in? The guys were going door-to-door and stopped a young woman.  Curly said, "Pardon me, can we...?" whereupon she quickly said "NO!" and used her purse to slap all three of them in the face.  Then she went into her door and after it closed, the sign had her name with "Mind Reader" posted below.  I wish I knew what episode that was in!  It was just a throwaway scene, but it is my favorite--if only in my memory.  If anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful!
I'm trying to think but nothin' happens!

Offline JazzBill

I posted a message to the webmaster before seeing this thread (Sorry Dunrobin!)  I also joined with just one question, but will comply with the 10 (15--?) post requirement. 

Just in case I get lucky on this thread, here is my question for the "Questions and Answers" section:

subject line: "mind reader" triple slap with purse...
What Curly episode was that brief scene in? The guys were going door-to-door and stopped a young woman.  Curly said, "Pardon me, can we...?" whereupon she quickly said "NO!" and used her purse to slap all three of them in the face.  Then she went into her door and after it closed, the sign had her name with "Mind Reader" posted below.  I wish I knew what episode that was in!  It was just a throwaway scene, but it is my favorite--if only in my memory.  If anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              They Stooge To Conga
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline sages4stooges

Nevermind!  I found the answer to my question after doing a search for "mind" among the transcripts (I got it on my second guess!) 

I'm a bit peeved because none of the reviews I posted throughout the afternoon appear to have been counted among my "postings" count.  I really like this site, but the entry requirement for posting on the message boards is too onerous.

Offline sages4stooges

That's the one!  Thanks JazzBill!!!  I don't know if I missed your response earlier, or if it didn't appear until after I posted my previous response.  I really appreciate it!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I'm a bit peeved because none of the reviews I posted throughout the afternoon appear to have been counted among my "postings" count.  I really like this site, but the entry requirement for posting on the message boards is too onerous.

Sorry about that, sages4stooges.  Your reviews should have been counted toward your post counts, but a glitch in the code was keeping them from being counted.  (Actually, that may have been happening for a while, but since you are the first one to bitch about it and thus alert me to the problem, I've updated your post count for you.)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Nevermind!  I found the answer to my question after doing a search for "mind" among the transcripts (I got it on my second guess!) 

I really don't think asking for 10 posts so we can get a feel for you before you start threads is asking too much. You make it sound like we are asking for a limb.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline rmbolin

I recently purchased a derby said to be worn by Shemp in "He Cooked His Goose", in 1952. The seller said he bought it from a man named Saul in Conoga Park, CA in the 1970's who worked with props on Stooges shorts, that was all the info he could provide. Has anyone ever heard of this "Saul" person? I bought the hat because I did not want to pass it up if it is real, any suggestions on how to authenicate this hat? The seller sells a few Stooges props on ebay now and then and offers some nice items, but are they real? How can I tell? The hat is a size 7 3/8 and has part of the inner sweat band purposley cut out as to not show the hat manufacturer. It's a great piece I just wish I could make a clear determination if it is real or not.

I recently purchased a derby said to be worn by Shemp in "He Cooked His Goose", in 1952. The seller said he bought it from a man named Saul in Conoga Park, CA in the 1970's who worked with props on Stooges shorts, that was all the info he could provide. Has anyone ever heard of this "Saul" person? I bought the hat because I did not want to pass it up if it is real, any suggestions on how to authenicate this hat? The seller sells a few Stooges props on ebay now and then and offers some nice items, but are they real? How can I tell? The hat is a size 7 3/8 and has part of the inner sweat band purposley cut out as to not show the hat manufacturer. It's a great piece I just wish I could make a clear determination if it is real or not.

Does it emit a high-pitched "Hee-bee-bee-bee-bee" when agitated?

Sorry; I hope somebody has some useful information for you.

Offline FineBari3

Does it emit a high-pitched "Hee-bee-bee-bee-bee" when agitated?

Sorry; I hope somebody has some useful information for you.

Is there a property department tag and number inside?
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline rmbolin

No, there are no tags or numbers of any kind in the hat. The hat does not have a liner either, I will watch "He Cooked His Goose" and see if I can find any similarities with the hat. 

Offline FineBari3

No, there are no tags or numbers of any kind in the hat. The hat does not have a liner either, I will watch "He Cooked His Goose" and see if I can find any similarities with the hat. 

I seem to recall somebody selling a 'Curly' derby on Ebay.

I would never buy a supposed studio prop unless there was a property tag present and/or documentation.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline rmbolin

Sometimes you just have to make your best judgement, in a perfect world it would have had tags and numbers and a COA but most props of the era do not. It is still a cool hat in great condition and a good start to my Stooges prop collection.

Offline Slapjack

Slapjack here. Love your website! Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I searched but couldn't find it anywhere.
I've always been fascinated by Stooge props, especially the clay, mud, and black gunk used as projectiles in many of their episodes.
Any idea of what was used? I can't imagine that real mud or clay was used, especially for face shots, etc. Thanks! - jack

Offline FineBari3

Slapjack here. Love your website! Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I searched but couldn't find it anywhere.
I've always been fascinated by Stooge props, especially the clay, mud, and black gunk used as projectiles in many of their episodes.
Any idea of what was used? I can't imagine that real mud or clay was used, especially for face shots, etc. Thanks! - jack

Welcome!

The 'clay' used in clay fights was obviously some sort of cloth covered in some dark substance. I recall the black 'gunk' in a few shorts, and wondered what that was too.  It is darker than the 'clay'. 

Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline cpp

When I read your post yesterday, I remembered seeing a reference somewhere that said the darker, non-sticky liquid was some sort of chocolate-liquid-based prop, allegedly so that if any of it actually got into an opening, as in under Moe's eyelids in 'Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise', it wouldn't cause serious problems.  I meant to document that source when I first saw it, but forgot to do it.  I haven't found it again yet, but will identify it when I do.

Offline marmento

Good Afternoon:
Just stumbled onto the site and love it already. I see that the Stoogeum is close by, so I'll be planning a trip soon.

I'm wondering if anyone can provide assistance in contacting Nancy Saunders(I'M A MONKEY'S UNCLE). I have a photo of her and was interested in sending it to get it autographed. I know she was interviewed in the journal(#111).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Offline FineBari3

Good Afternoon:
Just stumbled onto the site and love it already. I see that the Stoogeum is close by, so I'll be planning a trip soon.

I'm wondering if anyone can provide assistance in contacting Nancy Saunders(I'M A MONKEY'S UNCLE). I have a photo of her and was interested in sending it to get it autographed. I know she was interviewed in the journal(#111).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Welcome! If you are close to the Stoogeum, you should join the Fan Club, because we meet every spring at the Holiday Inn in Ft. Washington (about 10 minutes away from the Stoogeum)!

Sorry, but I don't have contact information for Nancy Saunders. I'm sure somebody does here.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Welcome! If you are close to the Stoogeum, you should join the Fan Club, because we meet every spring at the Holiday Inn in Ft. Washington (about 10 minutes away from the Stoogeum)!

I hope you don't all poke each other's eyes and hit each other on the head with heavy tools.  [pie]

Offline marmento

Thanks for the invite. I appreciate it. And yes, someone has already replied and given me the contact info I was looking for. There are a lot of really helpful people here on the forum!

Offline FineBari3

I hope you don't all poke each other's eyes and hit each other on the head with heavy tools.  [pie]

Yeah, some of that goes on!  There seems to be a new tradition of a pie fight out in the Stoogeum parking lot on Sunday now.....
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline SlyVenom

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I stumbled across a blog that claims Mantan Moreland was considered for a Stooge.
http://cravenlovelace.com/cravenblog/2008/08/the-stooge-that-almost-was/
I have never heard this before and couldn't find any facts that back this up. Is the blogger making this up?

Thanks for your time.