Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 338005

Offline locoboymakesgood

Wasn't Jack a dentist? I remember the pic you speak of in the one book.. I always wondered about them. You never hear anything, even in any bios about the Boys.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hammond Eggar

All 190 are B&W. The colorized versions are something Columbia concocted and recently started doing.. althought it bombed miserably and wont be continuing.

What I found the most irratating and insulting, about the colorized DVDs, besides the fact that it wasted so much time and money in a colorization process that simpley wasn't needed or wanted, was the ridiculous claim made on the back cover of one set of shorts.  It actually read, "Funnier in color."  WHAT!?! :o ???  That makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.  A film is either funny or not, and colorizing a b/w film won't make it any funnier.  Geesh, what lamebrains.  Well, at least with this new two-disc set from Sony, it appears they have finally wised-up. 
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
Since I can't find the post in the topic about the new DVD set I'll just ask it here.

I just finished watching the first DVD, and was wondering what was cut/removed from earlier releases of "Three Little Beers"?  I haven't seen this one in a while and it seemed normal to me.  I'm curious as to what was removed and why it was taken out.  Thanks.
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline skeit

Wasn't Jack a dentist? I remember the pic you speak of in the one book.. I always wondered about them. You never hear anything, even in any bios about the Boys.

I've been looking for a while for info about Jack and Irving, but can't seem to get much.  They are included in the Howard family tree on Shemp's granddaughters' site, but that's all. 

Offline locoboymakesgood

Since I can't find the post in the topic about the new DVD set I'll just ask it here.

I just finished watching the first DVD, and was wondering what was cut/removed from earlier releases of "Three Little Beers"?  I haven't seen this one in a while and it seemed normal to me.  I'm curious as to what was removed and why it was taken out.  Thanks.
The scene with Curly dropping all of the golf balls was omitted from the release on the "Three Smart Saps" DVD a few years ago. It wasn't intentional, just a sloppy mastering job on Sony's end.

Thank God it's fixed in the new release.

ThumpTheShoes

From Moe Howard and The 3 Stooges, page 190:

"Moe and his older brother, Jack, a retired insurance salesman, discuss
 the possibility of reviving the Stooges."

-Th

Offline locoboymakesgood

From Moe Howard and The 3 Stooges, page 190:

"Moe and his older brother, Jack, a retired insurance salesman, discuss
 the possibility of reviving the Stooges."

-Th
Man, I could have sworn Jack was a dentist. I don't know where the heck I got that from then.

I seem to remember a different picture in one of the books.. I could be mistaking, but I could have sworn there was a pic of Shemp, Moe, Curly, and either Jack or Irving and it mentioned him being a dentist.

Your mind plays tricks on ya I guess... ;D

Offline skeit

Yeah, that's the photo, I've seen.  He looked like his brothers.

thanks for the post

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm just wondering when the other two Howard brothers (Irving and Jack) passed away and if there is any biographical information available on them.  I know there is a picture of one of them in Moe Howard and the Three Stooges. 

Both Jack and Irving were in the insurance business. Irving died from a ruptured appendix in 1939; Jack passed away circa 1976/1977 (can't remember exact date).

The only picture I've seen of Irving is a family member's portrait shot. Irving very closely resembled Jerome.

Offline garystooge

I have Jack's date of death as 6/11/76 but am not sure where I got that from. Per the "Curly" biography, Irving supposedly died 3 weeks before his mother Jennie Horwitz (she passed away 9/6/39) but I don't think the book gives a specific date
Gary

Offline locoboymakesgood

So Jack was the longest-surviving Howard brother? Did he die of natural causes?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
what is the name of the tune the boys play in "Disorder in the Court."  The song is one of my favorite little "jingles" and gets stuck in my head for days after I watch that particular short.

Push 'Em Up

The Three Stooges Journal # 89 (Spring 1999)
"The Three Stooges Meet Frederic March: More Stooge Film Music Identified"
by Richard Finegan

Offline skeit

THanks for all the info on the Howorwitz Bros. and "Push Em Up. 

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
This has probably been asked before, but I tried to search in the "Search" box for Hokus Pokus but nothing came up.

Plus I didn't want to read 43 pages...

In "Hokus Pokus", we see the hypnotist make Larry into a cat, and Shemp into a monkey...but when he walks over to Moe it doesn't show what he makes him do.  I have this on tape from AMC, so is the scene cut?  Or did they decide not to make Moe do anything and just move along in the story?
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Curley91

In "Hokus Pokus", we see the hypnotist make Larry into a cat, and Shemp into a monkey...but when he walks over to Moe it doesn't show what he makes him do.  I have this on tape from AMC, so is the scene cut?  Or did they decide not to make Moe do anything and just move along in the story?

This scene is uncut.  It is the same way on both of the Columbia releases.  For some reason, Moe is not hypnotized.  They just left that for Shemp and Larry. 

Offline locoboymakesgood

This scene is uncut.  It is the same way on both of the Columbia releases.  For some reason, Moe is not hypnotized.  They just left that for Shemp and Larry. 
I was watching Flagpole Jitters the other day which reuses the same scenes and I always figure'd since we saw Shemp "hypnotize" Moe into thinking he was in New York and Sing Sing, there was no need to see what Svengarlic could do to him. At that point it was Shemp and Larry's time to shine.

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
True.

But since we see Svengarlic move to Moe and he says something (forget what), it feels like a scene was cut.

I guess not though.  Thanks for the info (Loco and Curley).

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
Okay, new question.

It's more of a "Did they really do that" type of question.

In "Flying Saucer Daffy", Joe buys the family TV dinners, and the woman says "We don't even have a TV yet!" and Joe says "but once we save up (forgot number) coupons we'll have a set".  Did the company that made TV dinners back then really have a coupon program where if you had enough coupons you could redeem them for a real television?  Or is this just a joke?

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
The company's name is Swanson. You may try searching their website or calling their 800 number.

Now I'm having "Salsbury Steak" nightmares. Thanks. Have an apple cobbler under tin foil that you remove with 5 minutes left. [pie]

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
[pie]

I would like to say that I am new and would like to be able to do right.  I do have one little questions I would like to ask please.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the entire collection of Shemp when he was going solo from 1930 through 1947 Hope I have the years right.

Thank you

Moron4392

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Again guide me. Am I at the right location?  I would like to ask someone if Shemp had any kids and what are they doing this day (if around).  Plus does anyone know where I can obtain all of Shemp's solo works?

Plus I would like to make a reply to "Moe Hailstone" if he did not already get his replies.  I will be dating myself about your television coupon questionin "Flying Saucer Daffys,"  yes there was a food company back then and it was "Swanson Foods."  Plus in "Hokus Pokus" Svengarlic made Moe into nothing he just got genrally hypnotized.

Hope I am not be too pushy for a new comer. 

Moron4392

Offline benjilbum

Shemp and his wife Babe had one son, Mort. I don't know if he's still living. If he is he's pretty old by now. If you check out my You Tube post, it shows Shemp's son and Moe's daughter Joan tormenting their poor dads.
I can help you with Shemp's solo work. Send me your Email address.
As far as your posting goes, your doing just fine.

lorenzb@comcast.net

Offline skeit

Mort died a number of years back.  If living he'd be around 80 as he was close in age to Joan Howard Maurer.  His (Mort's) daughters run a Shemp website, I'm sure someone has more details.

I think those clips and a few similar ones were in Three Stooges Family Album, weren't they?

Offline Moron4392

• Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hello I hope I have reached benjibum?  If so thank you for the information regarding Shemp and his wife about having a child.  If you would like to give me some personal information on Shemp I would really appreciate it.  You can E-mail me at Moron4392@sbcglobal.net.  Thank you for helping me out truely appreciate it.

Diane Hoekstra
Moron4392

Moron4392@sbcglobal.net

Offline es336td

• Porcupine
  • Making it up as I go along... Radney Foster
    • Yeah, I'm a musical mercenary...
Ok... hopefully this hasn't been asked before.  I have searched around the site this morning and can't find it.   I remember, hopefully correctly, Moe, Larry, Curly were in some sort of medical situation.  Moe was giving orders like a surgeon and one of the things he asked for was annacannapanna... maybe the spelling is wrong and that's why I can't find it.   If someone could point me to the film, I'd appreciate it.   I'd love to have that clip.

Louie