Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Is It Possible to Be 'Too Obsessive' Over the Stooges?

Offline locoboymakesgood

I think this might be an interesting topic. Here's an example...

I'm only 19 years old. I'm the youngest actual Stooge fan I know. Most people that I have conversations with about the Boys are in their 40s, 50s, and up. Most of my generation wasn't familiar with them like I am (that's probably because my Father, who shared Curly's birthday, was as big a fan as I am until he passed away in January).. I quote shorts everyday and have seen every short atleast 1000 times. When I was a baby my father used to tape the Stooges on our local TV station when they were on Sundays in the 80s and repeat the same episodes for me every day. So, since a young age of about 2 or so I've been a Stoogemaniac. I've never lost my love for the Boys and still watch them religiously. Now I have T-Shirts, posters, all of the Columbia released DVDs, VHS tapes, Beta tapes, Dolls, and Laserdiscs (I don't even own a Laserdisc player!).. but my most prized possession are my copies of shorts on CD.

Through a painstaking process, I converted a good 30+ shorts into MP3 format, usually separating each short into 4 or 5 parts, so I could listen to them wherever I go. Just now on my way to the library I was listenting to 'Uncivil Warriors'. When most kids I know are bumping their music, I'm bumping eyepokes, slaps, bonks on the head, and the crazy antics of our favorite people.

Sad, but true. Gotta love the Stooges.  ;D
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Until a couple of years ago, my living room walls were almost completely covered (literally) in Three Stooges posters and pictures.  I've toned it down a bit since then; these days I have smaller, tasteful groupings of Stooges pictures, instead of covering the entire surface with them.  And I've included a few pictures of my family (parents, neice and nephew, etc.), so it's not 100% Stooges anymore, either.

Now that I've got the My Stooges Memorabilia feature going, loco, you need to start logging your collection, so you can at least lord it over the rest of us!  ;D

Through a painstaking process, I converted a good 30+ shorts into MP3 format, usually separating each short into 4 or 5 parts, so I could listen to them wherever I go.

Back before there were such things as mp3 formats - or even CD's - I used to record whole movies by the Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello, as well as the Stooges, onto to audio cassettes so I could listen to them on the way to work (which was an hour long - min. - commute each way.)  It was great, because I knew the films and shorts so well that I could visualize what was happening just from the sound effects.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Like anything else in life, yes it is possible to over indulge oneself, eating, gambling, sex, drugs, etc etc
I must admit for a few years in the mid 70's I went overboard in my obsession with the Stooges,  was constantly quoting Stooge dialogue, imitating Shemp, Curley, Moe &  Larry,  This is before cable TV or videotape so I was limited to the TV screenings on L A's channel 13-KCOP that would have them for a year or so, the they would be gone, I have to scour the papers to see any Stooge Festivals at movies theatres in So Cal or at times going to San Diego, Las Vegas or even the Bay area to catch a few Stooge 2-reelers, it caused quite a riff between my wife n I who thought I was nuts and actually reccomended I go to a physcologist. I spent lotsa $$ buying all the books that were being released at the time, I visited the final resting place of both Shemp and Curley(they're at the same cementery), my wife thought I was being childish and told me to grow up or she would leave me... I realised she was right and I had to withdraw as even my daughter got tired of my antics. Fortunately in the early 80's Stooge fever as a whole kinda dwindeled from its peak in the 70's, Stooge mania runs in cycles, they were no where to be found on TV, at least not on L A TV, no more Stooge festival in theatres, my boss of 8 years who was a friend of Benny Rubin and a old time New york jewish guy retired, so by luck it made my withdrawal a lot easier. 

I went more than 20 years(1982 or 83 to 2004) without seeing a Stooge short, taking a look at any of my Stooge books or files of Stooges material, the Stooges had stopped being part of my life, that had begun when I was a 6 year old seeing the Stooges in  Cuban movie houses dubbed in Spanish (see my post in how I got into the Stooges)

In 2003 I went through a divorce and moved from Los Angeles to the Denver area and began a new life as a single man and a new job where I met the 14 yr old son of my new boss who last year when I visited his dad's house asked me if I wanted to see a new DVD he bought, when I asked him what movie it was, he told me it was a 3 Stooges DVD, well blow me down as Popeye would say, I aked him are you a Stooges fan and he told me he became one when he saw a made for TV movie about the Stooges and then showed me 4 different TV Guides, each  with Stooges old and new on the covers. He showed me the DVD it's the one with Disorder In the court and Mailce in The Palace, one look and I was hooked again, I blew the kid's mind when I did my Stooges imitations and told him that Curley Shemp and Moe were brothers and quoted some lines that I instantly recalled, needless to say I became his Stooge hero. Over the next few weeks he purchased some DVD sets and we would watch them together

Not because of me , they had already placed their house on the market when I first visited their house, but it sold and they moved far from where I  live so it's hard for me to visit them but a ew months ago by a stroke of luck I saw an ad for the Stooges on Spike TV and now I get my daily fix...  My Xmas present to myself will be to get as many Stooges DVD as I can, I enjoy seeing the Stooges again and I have to control myself not to imitate them too much especialy at work as I don't want to go on a binge again. Many of the episodes I have not seen since the 70's and others since the early 80's so it is almost like seeing them for the first time, several of the 2 reelers I have viewed scenes I had not seen before because of the heavy editing used to squeeze 2 episodes into a 1/2 hr show.

Once I began watching Spike TV I did a google search and found this site and I am extremely happy I did as I can get my fix in every imaginable side of the stooges I ever could've thought possible, I've learned more than I thought was there to learn, the knowledge shown in this site blows my mind, and I love it, I can now die and go to a Heavenly Daze with a Stooge smile, slap and poke.......

Shemoeley  Fine
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Sr. Peedro Alvarez

"Is It Possible to Be 'Too Obsessive' Over the Stooges?"

NO!!!!
Glad To Meet Me.

boris

As a newbie who has just stumbled onto the site, perhaps I can give an interesting perspective on this.
 First, I am a semi-geezer at 51, so I can say a few things about the Stooges while they were at perhaps their greatest influence. During the 60's, the familiar Columbia shorts were seemingly always on some TV station or other. And naturally, all us kids did our best to immitate the more outlandish antics of our favorite wackos. I well remember being scolded repeatedly for mimicing some of the Stooge's more infamous schtick, most notably the two-finger eye poke. This was a favorite with all the kids and the horror of all of the mothers in the neighborhood. But as far as I know, no one ever actually lost an eye.
 But after not having seen any of these familiar shorts for many years, I was pleased to discover this site, and have enjoyed going back through some of these old friends. The first thing that I noticed is how well the comedy here is choreographed. The pre-war shorts, directed by Del Lord, seem to show the boys at their best. Their manic energy and smooth routines make the skits move along smartly.
The second thing I notice is how much of a complete lunatic Curly is. There is simply no other record anywhere of a human being acting as bizarre as this fellow. And even though a lot of his schtick is pretty embarrassing, I can't imagine anyone not getting at least five good belly laughs out of any good Stooge short.
 And lastly, one key ingredient in the Stooges' comedy casserol that is usually overlooked is the importance of the sound effects. Many bonks, boinks, thuds, cracks, rips and explosions are laced throughout the routines, and the producers gave special care to the quality, or timbre, of all of the sounds. Moe bouncing his fist off the top of Curly's head would not be particularly amusing if not for the nice ripe smack of a wood-block sound at precicely the right moment. And any time Curly drinks something, the deep, rolling, continuous chug-a-lug sound always gets me.
It is indeed kind of a guilty pleasure to go back through these classics, but it seems that one can't stop at one or two; and if one ends up spending a couple of hours, well, I'm afraid that the boys are still quite addictive, and about the funniest thing ever put on film.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 01:09:01 PM by boris »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Welcome, boris - it's always nice to see other "semi-geezers" on the site.  (Question: if we're only "semi-geezers" in our fifties, when do we graduate to full-fledged "geezer" status?)   ;D

My brothers and I never got scolded for imitating the Stooges, but that was probably because our mother was a Stooges fan, too.  We did get warned about being careful, though, as she didn't want us actually bashing each other with hammers or anything, but she was more than willing to throw a whip-cream pie at us!

boris

Well, Dunrobin, I guess we're only as old as we feel, eh?
Being a younger brother myself, I usually got the brunt of the attack. However, some of us younger chaps banded together and developed our own counter attack. So when we were in a group of three or more, and we would see one of our older brothers, one of us would shout out "routine six !" or "routine ten!", or some such. And even though we used different terminogolgy in an attempt to confuse our prey, it was mainly the same strategy , which consisted of one of us diving for the older sibling's legs, and then the rest of us diving in at torso-height and bringing the brute to the ground, wherin we would  procede to pummel the victim with as many not-too-hard body blows with our fists as possible before he could get up, chase down the closest or slowest one of us, and commece to apply a slow, deliberate period of torture of the kind that an older brother saves for a younger brother. Of course, it was all in fun (mostly) so no one actually ever died during one of these exchanges. But our 'routines' were certainly inspired by Stooge antics, and we refined them into quite an effective contermeasure to having been born the small one in the family.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 02:53:47 PM by boris »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
LOL!  The "routine six !" or "routine ten!" bit sounds more like the Dead End Kids.  A good strategy, though.  (I'm in the middle, myself.)

"Well, Dunrobin, I guess we're only as old as we feel, eh?"   Dear God, don't say that!  In that case I'd be about 100 today!  :-\

boris

Come to think of it, the Dead End Kids ( a.k.a. The Bowery Boys or East Side Kids ? ) is probably what I mean, and I seem to recall now that they used that very command. But I haven't thought of this stuff for years, and it all kind of runs together now. Back then the tube was awash with the Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, The Bowery Boys, et.al., and we all grew up on it.
Most of the stuff was fairly violent, but it was all fun and healthy, and nobody took it too seriously. But the do-gooders finally won out I guess, and slowly the old classics disappeared from the screen. Also, I guess there are some elements of 'racism' that were evident from time to time, but I never saw it as anything excessive, and I always enjoyed the black performers in the Stooge shorts ; they were funny and memorable, and good actors.
 I don't mess with movies or TV much anymore, and I don't even know what's condsidered 'funny' these days. But it seems to me that you could take an auditorium of kids of just about any age, anywhere, and show them "Dizzy Doctors", or "Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise", or "The Sitter-Downers", and by the end of the first five minutes, most of them would be laughinig out loud, and so would their parents.
 Another interesting facet about the Stooges' humor is that most gals don't seem to get it. Or perhaps their natural comedic tastes are too sophisticated to appreciate a guy getting hit on the head with a keg of nails. I know some girls like the Boys, and you say that you mom was a fan. My own mother thought they were stupid, but me and my dad and my brother would howl every time they were on, even if we were seeing the same short for the umpteenth time. It was always kind of an event when they were on, and it would often set the tone for viewing for the rest of the evening.
 As for feeling our age, I guess we do when we consider that at 50, we are probably older now than most of our comedy heros were when they were in their heyday.
 Oh well, thank God for the internet ! Now we never have to grow up !

Offline Pat

• Porcupine
  • The picture actually looks like me.
All I'll say right here is that I've got my computer pretty well stooged up.

<a href="http://" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://</a>
Pat

Offline shemp317

It is never possible to be obsessed over the stooges. I wish i could go back ten years ago to when the family channel showed stooge shorts that i haven't seen in years. Man I would give anything to go back to that time because any stooge short is worth being obsessive over and I don't blame anyone being obsessive over the greatest comedy team that will be seen on the face of this earth.

Pilsner Panther

It is never possible to be obsessed over the stooges. I wish i could go back ten years ago to when the family channel showed stooge shorts that i haven't seen in years. Man I would give anything to go back to that time because any stooge short is worth being obsessive over and I don't blame anyone being obsessive over the greatest comedy team that will be seen on the face of this earth.

Now don't be so shy, shemp317, tell us how much you really like the Stooges!

[stooges]

Offline shemp317

Well pilsner for being 16, I think i am probably a huge fan of the stooges. I don't know many teenagers like me that understand the talent that the stooges had.

Pilsner Panther

Well pilsner for being 16, I think i am probably a huge fan of the stooges. I don't know many teenagers like me that understand the talent that the stooges had.

That brings up an interesting point— I wonder how many young people are into the Stooges nowadays? I'm one of those 40-ish baby boomers who's been watching them for so long that I can't even remember when I started. It was certainly before I even went to kindergarten.

There's no way to get an accurate sampling of Stooges fans' ages, but it might be an interesting excercise to pull all the ages of the ThreeStooges.net members from their profiles, and average them out. My (uneducated) guess is you'd get a number somewhere in the late 30's or early-to-mid 40's.

I'm always glad to see a new, younger member joining the board here, so, welcome!

;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 02:04:15 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline FineBari3

I am glad I started taping those Family Channel shorts...I think I have about 8 hours of stuff from back then.

As so far as being obsessive about the Stooges, I usually obsess in small doses that last a couple years. I really didnt watch or read about them for about 5 years until 2002 when I won a stupid blow up hammer at Kennywood Park that had the Stooges on it. That was the catalyst for my newest obsession. I joined the fan club and read and devoured more books on them.

My interest has waned over the past year or so, but I think they will always be in the forefront of my life now. I am going to try to contribute to the site a bit more now that I have lost my freakin job because of an injury to my hand (legal counsel has been hired). I have nothing but free time now to make contributions providing the webmaster doesn't lose everything again!!!!!!
 [bash]

(Sorry Rob!!!!)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson