Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What's the real story behind Shemp leaving and rejoining the stooges?

Offline Larrys#1

Alright you knuckleheads, I have some questions regarding Shemp that I wanted to ask about. And part of the reason for me asking these is because I’ve heard different stories from different sources and I wanted to clear the air.

First, why did Shemp originally leave the stooges when they were with Healy? Was it because he didn’t get along with Healy or because he wanted to move to a solo career? Or maybe both?

Second, when Shemp rejoined the stooges after Curly’s stroke, was it something he was reluctant to do because he was content with his solo career, and he just did it because Moe and Larry were in a jam due to Curly’s illness?

Third, is it true that Shemp was only willing to replace Curly temporarily and then when Curly recovered, he would go back to his solo career? If so, how did Shemp react when he ended up becoming the permanent replacement (especially after Curly never recovered and eventually died) and couldn’t go back to his solo career? Was it something he was unhappy about and just did it out of charity for his brother, Moe?

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Hopefully Burt Kearns’ upcoming biography will answer these questions when it comes out  on October 1.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx