Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Everything’s Rosie (1931) - Robert Woolsey

Offline HomokHarcos

https://imdb.com/title/tt0021840/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3_tt_8_nm_0_in_0_q_everything%25E2%2580%2599s%2520rosie

It’s been a few months since I’ve done a review for a variety of reasons: I’ve been watching more sports (NHL playoffs, international soccer tournaments, and pro wrestling if that counts), and I sort of lost interest in vintage movies for a little bit.

I’ve decided to review the two solo Wheeler and Woolsey movies they made in 1931 because they are included in my DVD set, so I thought why not.

It ‘a been said that RKO preferred Bert Wheeler over Bob Woolsey, and thus this movie was given less priority than Bert’s solo film. Interestingly, Clyde Bruckman directed this film, but it doesn’t have the same comedic greatness that many of the other films he was involved in had.

Despite Bert’s age I think he did a good job portraying a young lover, there’s no way Bob Woolsey would have been able to do the same, so instead he has a role that feels more like W. C. Fields. A con artist trying to make money but also having a soft spot for a daughter. Although in this case it’s an adopted daughter of his. Interestingly, Rosie at the beginning of the film was played by Bert Wheeler’s daughter Patricia.

The film is very forgettable, one you watch and will probably not think of again. Anita Louise does a good enough job playing Rosie, but other than that it mostly consists of Woolsey being a conman and scamming the victims. I do like that they gave him some depth by actually caring for Rose as a daughter.

The film was not liked upon release, and neither was Bert Wherler’s solo film. But, I’ll get to that next!

Offline NoahYoung

I never knew he made a solo film during his years with Wheeler, though I am part of the 20-member club who have at least heard of W&W, and the 10-member club who have seen at least one of their films!

And now I just realized that I've mistaken Wheeler for Woolsey, or vice-versa. Woolsey is the older Groucho/George Burns hybrid. I can never remember which is which (or is it who is who, or W is W)?
 :police:

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline NoahYoung

Despite Bert’s age I think he did a good job portraying a young lover, there’s no way Bob Woolsey would have been able to do the same, so instead he has a role that feels more like W. C. Fields.

I shouldn't be on here this late at night I guess -- I'm confused now. I thought this movie was with Bob Woolsey, who is the older one.
 ???

Offline metaldams

It’s funny you say this is a film you watch once and completely forget, because that’s exactly what happened to me!  I do have this one on DVD and probably should give it a rewatch.

I find it interesting Bert and Bob’s “Zenobia” moment came so early in their tenure at RKO.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

It’s funny you say this is a film you watch once and completely forget, because that’s exactly what happened to me!  I do have this one on DVD and probably should give it a rewatch.

I find it interesting Bert and Bob’s “Zenobia” moment came so early in their tenure at RKO.

OK, I see, this is with Woolsey, the older one. When I clicked the imbd link, for the cast, it said Woolsey, but showed a pic of both of them!
I think the quote "Despite Bert’s age I think he did a good job portraying a young lover" meant in other movies, not this one. I think I'm clear about it now.

So even though I've seen a few of the movies, and one at least twice, since they didn't use their own names in the films, it can be hard to know who is who. I've heard Lou Costello used to be annoyed when people came up to him in the street and called him "Mr. Abbott."

Offline HomokHarcos

OK, I see, this is with Woolsey, the older one. When I clicked the imbd link, for the cast, it said Woolsey, but showed a pic of both of them!
I think the quote "Despite Bert’s age I think he did a good job portraying a young lover" meant in other movies, not this one. I think I'm clear about it now.

So even though I've seen a few of the movies, and one at least twice, since they didn't use their own names in the films, it can be hard to know who is who. I've heard Lou Costello used to be annoyed when people came up to him in the street and called him "Mr. Abbott."

That is something I prefer about Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges compared to Wheeler and Woolsey and Abbott and Costello, them using the same names in their films!

Offline NoahYoung

That is something I prefer about Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges compared to Wheeler and Woolsey and Abbott and Costello, them using the same names in their films!

Yes, and it is a bit odd that in their earliest silent films L&H actually didn't use their names. And by "odd" I mean when they are viewed today, since we are so used to them being called Stan and Ollie. If you've seen some of their scripts, Ollie's role is always "Babe", his nickname in real life, or IRL as the kids like to say.

The only time A&C used their own names in a film was in their penultimate, A&C MEET THE MUMMY, although in the end titles they are given different names! I like that they used their own names in their TV show.

Using the actor's real names was a "thing" at the Hal Roach Studio. I like when a supporting player is referred to by his real name in a Roach film, too. They do change a last name when required, such as Thelma Todd being called Mrs. Kennedy in UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE. Charley Chase used to be Jimmy Jump in early Chase films until he started using his "real" name as well, though his birth name was Charles Parrott.

I do need to view some more Wheeler and Woolsey films. I've read here and elsewhere that the "pre-code" ones are the best.