Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jeffries, Jr. (1924) - Charley Chase

Offline HomokHarcos

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209060/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

If there's something that sums up the Charley Chase one reelers it's this: all are pretty enjoyable comedies at 10 minutes, but none of them I would so far call masterpieces. I know we'll get there eventually with the two reelers, but still you can't really go wrong with what we're watching so far.

Chase plays a weak man that wants to toughen up for marriage. He gets boxing lessons from James J. Jeffires, who was a real world heavyweight boxing champion. First, there was Oldfield, and then Jeffries. I'm impressed they were able to get people like that in these Chase one reelers. Of course Chase makes a goof of himself with the boxing lessons, the most impressive visual gag being the one in the mirror. Where does this all lead to? Him being a henpecked husband in the end. It was a pretty funny reveal.

Offline metaldams

The most impressive athlete ever in a silent comedy was Babe Ruth in Harold Lloyd’s SPEEDY.  He won three rings with The Boston Red Sox.  Not sure what he did after that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

The most impressive athlete ever in a silent comedy was Babe Ruth in Harold Lloyd’s SPEEDY.  He won three rings with The Boston Red Sox.  Not sure what he did after that.
He played for the Boston Braves.

Offline Freddie Sanborn

I heard he moved to New York where he became addicted to hot dogs and beer. Last seen somewhere in the Bronx.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline Umbrella Sam

I think I heard of him. Don’t some people call him “The Great Bambi?”
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Offline Umbrella Sam

Offline Umbrella Sam

For the record, this was me referencing the fact that my original post was a SANDLOT reference, not me trying to be rude, as I realized it could get misinterpreted that way.

Anyway, on to the actual short. I think this is actually one of the funniest Jimmy Jump shorts we’ve seen so far. It’s funny how you mention the lack of masterpieces so far, HomokHarcos, because I was very close to considering this one up until that disgusting part with Chase finding his tooth. I love the whole recurring gag with the glasses here; Chase gets a lot of mileage out of it, and just when you think he’s done with it, he suddenly brings it back in the end in a hilarious reveal. Add in some physical gags with a jump rope and Chase trying to keep up with Jefferies (while at the same time claiming Jefferies is trying to keep up with him) and you get a short that’s full of laughs and a good time all the way through. Most of these early Jimmy Jump shorts had really well-paced stories with some laughs thrown in, but he kind of trades in the story for the laughs here. Both styles work for me.

Offline metaldams

OK, first off, speaking of masterpieces, I do hope LIMOUSINE LOVE is still up when we get there chronologically.  I just watched it and that one is a treat.  But that’s for a later date.

As for JEFFRIES, JR. - a lot of fun.  It takes advantage of the fact that Chase was a real thin guy and it’s funny trying to watch him man up.  I’m sure you guys know whenever Curly did the wet sponge gag with his legs to pad them up, the skinnier legs shown before were actually Chase’s.  But yeah, his frailness works with a weak character, which leads to the running gag with the glasses.  Whenever a physical threat happens, be it Leo Willis, a dog, or his wife, out come the glasses because you can’t hit a man with glasses.  Also a lot of fun watching Chase attempt boxing in such a comic way and the mirror gag after being hit by Jeffries is the best gag in the short.  But overall, a fun showcase to enjoy one simple dimension of Chase’s character.  A good short.

….and yes, as much as I notice that as the years turn to decades the former old ladies all the sudden look like dating material, the opposite happens for the younger ones.  This Ena Gregory, she’s about sixteen or seventeen here.  It’s amazing how young some of these leading ladies are, but more so in Chase shorts.  Yes, I know Martha Sleeper is coming up and she’s another one when I was shocked about her age.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Marie Mosquini was 18 when she joined Roach to provide support to Harold Lloyd in his Lonesome Luke comedies. That’s middle-aged by Hal Roach leading lady standards.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline metaldams

Jean Harlow appeared with Roach at 17 and Bebe Daniels was really young in those one reelers.  At least Harold was in his early twenties, though. 

I think people presented themselves differently back then in terms of age.  My grandfather was born in 1923 and his mother was 39 when she had him.  He said from his earliest memories, his mother looked like an old lady and dressed the part.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This one was definitely the finest yet.  I enjoyed the tooth gag because it ended with no genuine lasting harm and a funny scene of a goat helping Charley find the tooth.  Charley is definitely perfectly suited to this kind of comedy, and we're definitely building up to his two-reel masterpieces. 

I read the thing about Charley Chase's legs years before I knew who he even was, so that was a flashback for sure.  The glasses gags are great, and it's fun seeing James just try to be helpful and unintentionally destroy Charley.  The reveal at the end was perfect, with for once the "romantic interest" being a minor thing used for a great surprise ending.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I’m glad you all enjoyed this one, it seems to be the most liked one reeler so far.

Offline HomokHarcos

The person who uploaded this video and many of the other one reelers has closed their account, I can't even find them on YouTube anymore. I might have to put this on hold for now as I can't afford to be buying DVDs, maybe later down the road if they are back on YouTube or when I can buy them I will continue.

Offline metaldams

The person who uploaded this video and many of the other one reelers has closed their account, I can't even find them on YouTube anymore. I might have to put this on hold for now as I can't afford to be buying DVDs, maybe later down the road if they are back on YouTube or when I can buy them I will continue.

That sucks, man.  I have all these Chase shorts on DVD, but I understand not everybody else does and yeah, it can get expensive.

If you want to find something else to review in the meantime, do whatever you want.  You got free reign.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

A shame, but I suppose that’s to be expected when it comes to these kinds of situations. Incidentally, I was recently looking into purchasing the Langdon silents on DVD and the prices have really gone up on those.

Offline metaldams

A shame, but I suppose that’s to be expected when it comes to these kinds of situations. Incidentally, I was recently looking into purchasing the Langdon silents on DVD and the prices have really gone up on those.

It’s amazing, some of this stuff I bought years ago for a decent price now goes for a lot more.  I’m actually now quite thankful I got into silent comedy in the early 2000’s, it was a nice time for DVD releases.  There is some good stuff coming out these days, but for all the good things, other things are going out of print.  Some of it is on YouTube, but not all.
- Doug Sarnecky