Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shanghaied Lovers (1924) - Harry Langdon

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015322/

Shanghai: to use drugs, violence, or threats to force someone into working on a ship. 

SHANGHAIED LOVERS is the first short that has felt like a real, genuine Harry Langdon short.  By this I mean the timid, small Harry who has to get himself out of an uncomfortable or dangerous situation.  In this short, we get both as Harry faces two dangers: (1) his lurking, violent captain and (2) the advances of his disguised wife.

There is some Sennett knockabout stuff here, but it's mostly worked around Harry's persona.  An example of this is how Harry handles the leak early in the short and how he uses the ball-and-chain to knock out the captain.  The kitchen and ending scenes quintessential Harry as well, but in the context of a more standard situation for Harry to find himself in.  I take it "person thinks the pet cat was killed for food" is an old workhorse gag?  I thought the rubber bands could have been milked a little more, but perhaps it's just the print quality and not the film on that one.

Harry has a great cast around him.  Alice Day is going to be with us for several more weeks, and Kalla Pasha isn't done yet either!  Lots of quality background work from the Sennett crew, including Billy Robertson and Andy Clyde (who has multiple roles in this one).  It's fun watching these and discovering either actors of were considered top-notch regulars in their heyday (like Kalla Pasha) or early career folks yet to make their mark (like Andy and George Cooper).
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Has this film been found within the past fifteen years or so?  This is not on the LOST AND FOUND DVD set which came out in 2007.  I will get to this tomorrow, but it looks like I’m going to be seeing a Langdon silent I haven’t seen before - I think.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Yeah, 2017 was the date I had seen for its for first decent-quality full version.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yeah, Harry’s definitely more like the Harry we expect here. It’s still not a great short; the rubber band part in particular was painfully unfunny. But there is still some decently creative stuff here; the captain throwing Harry around and Harry dropping the ball-and-chain on the captain are particular highlights. I also like the overall relationship between Harry and his wife here; her disguising herself to be near him is kind of sweet and they do manage to make some funny moments out of Harry freaking out whenever she annoys him. Also to the film’s credit, it certainly has less of a random sketch comedy feeling than the ones before it; it does feel more cohesive from beginning to end. It’s a huge step in the right direction for Harry.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

I agree this was more cohesive, I could easily follow along from the start to finish. Even the way they end up on the ship feels like logical enough. There are some good gags here, the key one being Harry not grasping the person making advances on him is his wife in disguise. Harry being shocked and confused reminds me of Stan Laurel. I know it's been stated before that Langdon influenced Stan Laurel's style. Overall the best Langdon short so far.

Offline metaldams

Fascinating short and thanks for posting this, Paul.  This really is the earliest example I’ve seen of Langdon, for the most part, being Langdon.  A ton of slow moments though I have to say, the print itself does let Langdon down a bit.  There were two videos of this I could find on YouTube and they looked to be the same print.  With Harry, the facial expressions and reactions are so important and a huge part of the humor, more so than most other comedians.  A lot of times Harry’s face was completely whitewashed, like with various times when he got hit on the head with an object or when he was eating the spoiled soup for Kalla Pasha or when he was calling his cross dressing wife down to bed.  The body language was there, but I really wanted to see the face.

There were a few Sennet like moments, like Harry getting thrown around like a bouncing ball and that cartoon like jump he does through the window towards the end, all pretty funny stuff but for the most part this felt pretty Langdon like.  The scene earlier where the guy is getting doused with water through the window and Harry jumping around like he has no clue what to do is pretty Langdon like for sure.

There is also the homosexual imagery, if not actual practice, in this short.  Even though it was really Alice Day (sister of Marceline Day from Buster Keaton’s THE CAMERAMAN), dressed like a man, there is still the image of what appears to be a mustached man kissing Harry in bed.  Pretty risqué and boundary pushing for the time and more Mack Sennett than Harry.  Check out the Sennett short HEARTS AND FLOWERS where there is an actual cross dressing female kissing another female.  Of course, all Alice had do to was whisper to Harry it was her, and she had opportunity to do so.  It would’ve avoided confusion though admittedly made the film less fun.

A really interesting short overall and I’d say important to Langdon’s on screen development.  There are a couple of shorts after this one missing as far as I know, hopefully someday they show up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I am impressed with even myself.  There is a Harry Langdon silent comedy that I watched before metaldams!

All in all, I agree with the comments concerning the period.  A lot of this was extremely risqué and would never have made it to theaters after the Hayes code came around, although little bits got by here and there.  Sennett comedy is certainly an American treasure of what vaudeville was like.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I am impressed with even myself.  There is a Harry Langdon silent comedy that I watched before metaldams!

All in all, I agree with the comments concerning the period.  A lot of this was extremely risqué and would never have made it to theaters after the Hayes code came around, although little bits got by here and there.  Sennett comedy is certainly an American treasure of what vaudeville was like.

If you can conjure up a copy of HEART TROUBLE I’d jump through the roof.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
If you can conjure up a copy of HEART TROUBLE I’d jump through the roof.

I am comedy reviewer, not a magician.  HEART TROUBLE sounds like it has a very Langdon-esque plot too.
#1 fire kibitzer