Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

From Hand To Mouth (1919) - Harold Lloyd

Offline metaldams

FROM HAND TO MOUTH is the third two reeler Lloyd made as the glasses character - but not overall.  I just learned very recently, meaning within the last week, a lot of the later Lonesome Luke shorts were two reelers and I just watched one on a Silent Comedy Watch Party episode.  There you go, I’m always learning something new.  But yeah, these glasses character two reelers are showing a level of maturity not quite present in Lonesome Luke and FROM HAND TO MOUTH is the best one yet.  What impresses me most about this one is that there is a legitimate story involved and there are a lot of gags - yet the two never get in the way of each other.  Each situation seamlessly flows into the next.  For example, Lloyd is running away from the cops as he’s caught stealing a wallet.  During the chase, he jumps up on a driving vehicle to escape.  The vehicle itself just happens to be full of a bunch of crooks who are planning to rob the house of the girl Harold had an encounter with earlier - so everything ties in together brilliantly.

Speaking of the girl, exit Bebe Daniels, enter Mildred Davis.  Ms. Davis would be Harold’s leading lady up to and including SAFETY LAST.  After that she would get a promotion to be Mrs. Lloyd for the rest of her life.  Look wise, I’d say she was a more innocent looking version of Edna Purviance and played similar, straighter roles, as she does here in FROM HAND TO MOUTH.  I always liked her best when she played the innocent girl with curls, so saccharine it is obviously a parody played for comic effect.

Thematically, the idea of being homeless, hungry and breaking into a girl’s house you recognize, registering regret is taken from Charlie Chaplin’s POLICE.  Being homeless with a dog like A DOG’S LIFE and the business with Peggy Cartwright briefly predating THE KID.  Pretty unusual and interesting to see Lloyd go into Chaplin territory, something he doesn’t do very often.

As far as chases go, there are not one, not two, but THREE different chases here, and like I hinted at in the first paragraph, they all make sense in the context of the story and are completely logical and witty.  I never fail to be in awe of Lloyd at his best with how one situation just piles on top of the other.  I really like the simple set up of the chase with Peggy Cartwright.  A hungry Harold steals two doughnuts out of a man’s bag, giving the first one to Peggy.  As Harold is taking the second, he doesn’t notice Peggy giving her doughnut to the dog.  Naturally, Peggy takes the second doughnut from Harold as she didn’t get the first.  This leads to a misunderstanding and all the excuse we need for a brilliantly executed chase to begin.  Vegetable stands get smashed over.  Hidden doorways and stairwells, a clever jump by Harold where he finally catches up with her, it works very well.

A very good short overall.  A perfect mix of story and comedy and light entertainment.  Exactly what I want from Harold.  It bears worth repeating, these Lloyd shorts look beautiful.  We’re so lucky to have them in this condition.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

It bears worth repeating, these Lloyd shorts look beautiful.  We’re so lucky to have them in this condition.

A pity that Chaplin didn't buy the negatives of his Essanay and Mutual work — especially after both companies ceased production in 1918.

Offline HomokHarcos

The beginning of Harold Lloyd and Mildred Davis that would last a long time. Mildred Davis may not have the charisma Bebe Daniels did, but she was definitely more age appropriate. The version I previously saw had different intertitles, it must have been a reissue because Mahatma Gandhi was mentioned there, I'm not quite sure he would have been a household name yet in 1919. The ones used in the video you link are probably the original titles. I was reminded of Chaplin, too. The beginning feels like it is setting up The Kid with Lloyd taking care of a little child while being out on the streets.

The gag highlights for me are when Lloyd is trying to knock out the man to get the purse back, and when he smashes a window open because he doesn't know what they are telling him to do. The wait for the whistle part is something that would be much more effective in a sound film. There's also the part when he's hitting the police to get them chasing after him. The ending is quite sweet when you know they were actually married.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Harold really cover all the bases here: chases, comedy, pathos.  He's really infringing on Chaplin territory but with the same kind of cleverness seen a few years later in Buster Keaton's work.  Everything here works together from start to finish, and it all advances the plot.

Is there some sort of trickery afoot, or did Harold really do some these crazy leaps and jumps and stunts?  It looks real for most of them, but one's never 100% certain without rewinding repeatedly.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

Harold really cover all the bases here: chases, comedy, pathos.  He's really infringing on Chaplin territory but with the same kind of cleverness seen a few years later in Buster Keaton's work.  Everything here works together from start to finish, and it all advances the plot.

Is there some sort of trickery afoot, or did Harold really do some these crazy leaps and jumps and stunts?  It looks real for most of them, but one's never 100% certain without rewinding repeatedly.
I believe Harold Lloyd was doing stunts, albeit with camera angles or sets designed to make them look much more dangerous than they actually were.

Offline metaldams

I believe Harold Lloyd was doing stunts, albeit with camera angles or sets designed to make them look much more dangerous than they actually were.

For the most part, yes.  I still would be shocked if it’s him doing the 360 degree jump in BUMPING INTO BROADWAY, but Harold did a ton of stunts for sure.

The only case I know it’s not him is in SAFETY LAST!  Anytime you see a long shot of a guy climbing a building, it’s a stunt double.  I believe he plays Harold’s friend who climbs in the film and he also did similar stunts for Lon Chaney in THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yeah, from a story perspective, this short feels like a real step up from previous Lloyd two-reelers. It’s simple, but one that’s rooted in a certain sweetness in the relationship between Harold and Mildred, which to me was an essential part of most of those early Lloyd features like DR. JACK. It wasn’t always perfect (the romance in SAFETY LAST! in particular), but there was a certain chemistry between the two that was hard to deny. And, as Lloyd always did so well, there are some really excellent chases here, from the misunderstanding between the original two cops to the chase at the end where Lloyd has to get Mildred to the lawyer’s office in time and constantly finds different ways to provoke the cops. Another good short.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Allen Champion

Harold never avoided destroying a pushcart vender's livelihood if he could help it.  His assault and mugging (not to mention getting him  arrested!)  of the poor slob who found the wallet doesn't endear him to me either.    [pie]
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline metaldams

Harold never avoided destroying a pushcart vender's livelihood if he could help it.  His assault and mugging (not to mention getting him  arrested!)  of the poor slob who found the wallet doesn't endear him to me either.    [pie]

If this were real life I’d obviously agree, especially getting the man arrested.  If this were real life, I also don’t understand how a rich and attractive Mildred Davis, who can have anyone she wants, would fall for a homeless guy who broke into her house and stole her food.

But in the context of knockabout comedies coexisting with Sennett and for me, as someone who grew up on Moe Howard - I let these things slide.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

There's a book ranking the 100 greatest silent film comedians, and he also made several complaints about how nasty Lloyd's character could be. Like metaldams I find the antics of Moe Howard, Bud Abbott, Eric Cartman and so on funny even though they would be very abusive from a real life perspective, but I understand mean spirited comedy is not everybody's cup of tea.

Offline HomokHarcos

We/re getting close to the point where Lloyd had his accident.