The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Woo Woo! (1945) - Hugh Herbert

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Video is at 48:35 in the above link.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144690/

WOO WOO! might have the darkest of any Columbia short we have reviewed yet.  Hugh Herbert is firing on all cylinders in this one, and to make it better he's working with Christine McIntyre and Dick Curtis.  We get some silly scenes at the start to establish the situation and Hugh's character, and then it's non-stop craziness from there.  While it may be another Columbia Shorts domestic comedy, it's entirely unique among them

Hugh and Christine work amazingly well together, and Dick Curtis is perfect as the jealous husband to go against Hugh because of Dick's ability to emotionally breakdown, especially given the barbershop scenes.  This interaction allows there to be chase scenes, an encounter in a barber shop, and a final confrontation that ends with one of the darkest endings ever seen in a Columbia short.

SPOILER ALERT:
Dick Curtis accidentally knocks out Christine McIntyre.  Thinking he has killed her, Dick freaks out, and Hugh manipulates this to get Dick to jump out the window and kill himself.  The short ends with Hugh going to sleep in Dick's bed without it being clarified if Christine, still on the floor, is dead or knocked out.  Extremely dark but extremely funny in a macabre way.

This one might rank as a classic, but I will refrain from rating this one due to its poor quality.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I could really see the influence Hugh Herbert had on Daffy Duck here. The character and the situations can be similar. It is refreshing in the domestic types usually done by the Columbia in that it's not a misunderstanding and Hugh knows exactly what kind of trouble he is getting into. I loved the guitar gag, it reminded me of The Honky Tonk Man and Jeff Jarrett smashing guitars over their opponent's heads (if you're a wrestling fan you'll get the reference). Enjoyable comedy.

I found a contemporary review of this short.

Offline metaldams

It’s funny you mention The Honky Tonk Man, Homok, because I thought about him too.  Jake Roberts claims Honky really messed him up smashing him with a guitar while Honky claims that’s a lie and Jake was fine.  I really hope Jake wasn’t messed up.  I mean, if they can rig that shot so Christine McIntyre is OK, I hope the same for Jake.

I was watching this short and was thinking who Hugh Herbert reminds me of and it finally dawned on me…..Rodney Dangerfield.  Just something about the guy’s look and delivery.

Again, another funny short.  Starts with THE FIXER UPPERS/BOOBS IN ARMS jealous husband bit and the comedy flows pretty naturally from there.  Just a lot of fun chase stuff in various different settings and Christine really can take some shots.  What a trooper.  I wouldn’t mind seeing this series restored and released on blu ray.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
It’s funny you mention The Honky Tonk Man, Homok, because I thought about him too.  Jake Roberts claims Honky really messed him up smashing him with a guitar while Honky claims that’s a lie and Jake was fine.  I really hope Jake wasn’t messed up.  I mean, if they can rig that shot so Christine McIntyre is OK, I hope the same for Jake.

I was watching this short and was thinking who Hugh Herbert reminds me of and it finally dawned on me…..Rodney Dangerfield.  Just something about the guy’s look and delivery.

Again, another funny short.  Starts with THE FIXER UPPERS/BOOBS IN ARMS jealous husband bit and the comedy flows pretty naturally from there.  Just a lot of fun chase stuff in various different settings and Christine really can take some shots.  What a trooper.  I wouldn’t mind seeing this series restored and released on blu ray.

Interesting observations metaldams!

Due to a variety of reasons, the next review will be on Tuesday or Wednesday.  :)
#1 fire kibitzer