Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Oh, Baby! (1944) - Hugh Herbert

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144532/

Yes, Charles Dorety is in this film.  Yes, you should at least recognize the name if you're in this thread.

OH, BABY! isn't a perfect short by any means, but we get to see the talents of some of Columbia's finest actors on full display, including Bud Jamison in one of his very last shorts as Hugh's boss.  Bud brought us lots of good moments throughout the years, and this short is another one.  Speaking of which... Symona Boniface gets 20 seconds of screen time and manages to get the biggest laugh of the short in there as this one left-and-right flouted the censors.

Overall, it's a decent film.  Some are put off by Hugh's 180 when he thinks he's going to be a father, but that's what makes it funny.  Still, Hugh carries this one well, but this is one short where it does feel like he's not giving 100% at all times, but keep in mind the film quality is a bit poor.  It's not a perfect short, but it's still very good even if it's a bit cutesy.

8/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I was surprised to see Bud Jamison looking that old, to me he usually looked younger than he actually was, but he definitely looks his age here. He was great as the boss. The exploding cigar gag is one that is used a lot, but I always find it funny. The second time Hugh Herbert is actually easy going about it. This short is much more optimistic than most Columbias, Herbert is smiling and pretty gleeful throughout. It's a feel good short.

Offline metaldams

This short was very enjoyable, dare I say a classic, or at least close to it.  Some funny pregnancy observations.  The actress who was actually supposed to be 9 months pregnant doesn’t show one bit.  I guess pregnant bellies weren’t code kosher.  Secondly, it’s funny how Hugh thinks his wife, Esther Howard, was pregnant.  She was in her early fifties when this short was made.  Finally, crazy to think of a time when you don’t find out you’re having triplets until birth.

I agree with the feel good observation about this short, just real pleasant to watch.  The kitchen explosion and aftermath may have been the best I’ve ever seen in a Columbia short - if not quite BLOCK-HEADS level.  Still very good.  Hugh’s 180 degree turn was fun to watch and his quirky nature really worked well with this character.  Also agreed, Symona’s turn was definitely the funniest in the short!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This short was very enjoyable, dare I say a classic, or at least close to it.  Some funny pregnancy observations.  The actress who was actually supposed to be 9 months pregnant doesn’t show one bit.  I guess pregnant bellies weren’t code kosher.  Secondly, it’s funny how Hugh thinks his wife, Esther Howard, was pregnant.  She was in her early fifties when this short was made.  Finally, crazy to think of a time when you don’t find out you’re having triplets until birth.

I agree with the feel good observation about this short, just real pleasant to watch.  The kitchen explosion and aftermath may have been the best I’ve ever seen in a Columbia short - if not quite BLOCK-HEADS level.  Still very good.  Hugh’s 180 degree turn was fun to watch and his quirky nature really worked well with this character.  Also agreed, Symona’s turn was definitely the funniest in the short!

I knew this one would be your kind of short.  Wait until you see this today's short!
#1 fire kibitzer