Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Pardon My Nightshirt (1956) - Andy Clyde

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170357/

This is the first time I have ever really seen the social justice warriors get their panties in a knot and irrationally attack a Columbia short.  Multiple reviews complain that Dudley Dickerson's character is "racist," while in reality his actually one of the more intelligent ones seen in comedies of the era.

PARDON MY NIGHTSHIRT is not only the final Andy Clyde short at Columbia pictures but also Andy Clyde's final film role as it was all TV until his death.  What an unworthy way to exit as this short is a stock reworking of GO CHASE YOURSELF, which was a stock remake of Charley Chase's THE NIGHTSHIRT BANDIT.  And wow is this short lacking.

An old man Andy Clyde just doesn't work for getting mistaken as a "young man" that's supposed to be part of some college fraternity/sorority initiation routines.  Charley Chase was clearly too old for it, and Andy certainly didn't at 56 years old in 1948 when those scenes were filmed!  Some early recycled scenes also show Andy with Symona Boniface as his wife; like so many others, death doesn't stop Symona from appearing in Columbia shorts.

Overall, it's another uninteresting but not terrible film.  Andy Clyde gets along well with Dudley Dickerson, but there's not much to say here.  Farewell, Andy Clyde.  Perhaps we'll check out some of your other films in the future.

5/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I wish more of Andy Clyde's movies were available, I'd like to be a completionist and watch them all but most are not available (or even lost). I haven't seen the two movies it takes from, so I can't say what was recycled footage or original. I thought it was entertaining , but I noticed some of the physical humor was quite slow paced, probably because of their ages. The Chase short might come off better.

As for Dudley Dickerson, I think the criticism would be that his character seems to be minstrel-influenced.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I wish more of Andy Clyde's movies were available, I'd like to be a completionist and watch them all but most are not available (or even lost). I haven't seen the two movies it takes from, so I can't say what was recycled footage or original. I thought it was entertaining , but I noticed some of the physical humor was quite slow paced, probably because of their ages. The Chase short might come off better.

As for Dudley Dickerson, I think the criticism would be that his character seems to be minstrel-influenced.

Well, you're in luck!  The Charley Chase short was reviewed on this very forum several months ago!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Not too much to say.  Pretty fast paced and never got boring.  I liked the way people kept falling into that pool of water on the floor below.  I think I was spending more time trying to figure out what was 1956 versus the original as opposed to following any semblance of plot. A few close ups of Andy were definitely 1956 (when he’s handing the lady a rifle early on), I think the boxing glove stuff through the door was 1956 because Andy looked older.  One shot I know was 1956 was Harriette Tarler screaming she sees the nightshirt bandit.  She was a regular in dying days of the Columbia shorts department.  Agreed any footage of Symona is older, obviously.
- Doug Sarnecky