Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Ring and the Belle (1941) - Andy Clyde

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167370/

THE RING AND THE BELLE really is a good quality Columbia entry for Andy Clyde.  And two reasons I think contribute to this.  First, the story is co-written by Andy himself, and second the screenplay is by Harry Edwards and the director is Del Lord during his best years.  In 1941, Del Lord directed shorts from the Three Stooges included DUTIFUL BUT DUMB, AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, and SOME MORE OF SAMOA.  The man was on fire.

Andy Clyde actually rules in this one where there are a variety of sight gags, and he is further helped by having Vivien Oakland, Dudley Dickerson, Eddie Laughton, Vernon Dent, Tiny Lipson, John Tyrrell, and Jack Roper as his supporting cast.  Physical comedy abounds as well as some verbal jokes.

This short contains a few jokes I have never seen earlier elsewhere.  The wobbling house scene is absolutely surreal, and multiple jokes during this involve Andy getting thrown out a window in different ways.  We see an early version of the vengeful drawer gags.  There is also an early appearance of the ticklish razor, with the razor cutting off Mrs. Clyde's underwear.  I won't spoil more of the jokes.

Eddie Laughton is great as the heckling manager of the opposing fighter, and Dudley Dickerson gets a nice straight role as Andy's assistant.  Vivien Oakland has a borderline legendary performance as Andy's wife as she is incredible from start to finish.  Tiny Lipson is also great.

My only complaint is that the plot is a bit too pressured at some points, and it keeps this from being *perfect*.  The print quality makes it difficult at certain points, so I can't decide whether I give this a 9 or a 10.

[poke][poke][poke][poke][poke][poke][poke][poke][poke]       maybe([poke])
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

This was unique for a Columbia comedy. The settings were new and quite varied. I like that it is a workplace comedy with domestic problems. Vivian Oakland was great, she should have been the one boxing in the ring.

Andy Clyde is a great character, that usually has weaker scripts. This one was entertaining with a lot of violent slapstick in it, what I like best in a Columbia comedy.

Offline metaldams

Paul pretty much nailed it in his review.  An excellent short.

I like the fact there’s so much variety of physical comedy involved.  It’s like Andy and Del went back to what they did best in the Sennett days.  Clyde being put in the wringer, the glass jaw bit, the shaking house from the dumbbell hitting the ground, the drawer gag, Vivian Oakland getting knocked down on the bed, the count out in the ceiling - just great gag after great gag.  Exactly the kind of thing I want from a Columbia short.
This one is a classic and makes me wish these Clyde films would be restored and on blu ray.  Yes, he did write the story and the short is that much better for it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Paul pretty much nailed it in his review.  An excellent short.

I like the fact there’s so much variety of physical comedy involved.  It’s like Andy and Del went back to what they did best in the Sennett days.  Clyde being put in the wringer, the glass jaw bit, the shaking house from the dumbbell hitting the ground, the drawer gag, Vivian Oakland getting knocked down on the bed, the count out in the ceiling - just great gag after great gag.  Exactly the kind of thing I want from a Columbia short.
This one is a classic and makes me wish these Clyde films would be restored and on blu ray.  Yes, he did write the story and the short is that much better for it.

I would love to see Andy's shorts, from Sennett to Educational to Columbia.  Sadly, a massive chunk of Andy's work from all 3 eras is in either deplorable condition or straight up gone.  Some of lost shorts are surprisingly some of the ones that I think were included in the Screen Gems TV release in the 1960s.  Either way, a lot of work would need to be done for sure, but it would be worth it as he is still one of Columbia's best known non-Stooges.
#1 fire kibitzer