Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hectic Honeymoon (1947) - Sterling Holloway

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173892/

Man, where to start with this one.  Is it the "meh" plot?  The "meh" jokes?  The "meh" resolution?  There is one highlight in this short that is truly worthy of mention.

On the train, Sterling is trying to sneak over to his wife's berth so they can have some marital fun.  Everything goes wrong for Sterling, and I have never seen a scene quite like this one before.  It's quite funny and is the highlight of the short.

Before this is just Sterling's boss being grumpy and caustic to anyone and everyone, and after is just a tired old Columbia-style domestic situation.  Overall, there really isn't much to say about this plot.  The ending is quite chaotic and random and does little to help things.

The other good part is the acting of Sterling, Jean Willes (God bless Sterling Holloway; he got to film a short where Jean Willes was playing his wife), and Christine McIntyre, who all play their parts perfectly.  Dick Wessel and Harry O. Tyler just aren't too funny to me in this one.  Dudley Dickerson and Snowflake Toones are good, but their parts are quite brief.

6/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Another in what seems to be a long line of Columbia bedroom farces.  Not much to say except that it’s always nice seeing the regulars and Sterling Holloway again, at least has an interesting look and voice that makes him stand out.

What I did find interesting is the few minutes in the train where Sterling was doing some quiet bits and there wasn’t a ton of dialogue, so I agree with Paul.  The film really breathed at that point and it would be nice if more of these films had moments like this.  Just bits of quiet business for a few minutes.  Holloway may have been interesting in a classic Langdon like role. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Oh hooray, another comedy with a berth... Well, to be fair, there’s nothing really bad about it until that uncomfortable blackface scene. Otherwise, this is another in a long line of “mistaken domestic situations”. It’s not a bad one, though. I think the idea of Holloway being fired just for getting married is actually a creative one. I also think the “mistaken situation” does actually fit Holloway. Whenever Charley Chase or Shemp get into a situation with another woman in one of these domestic comedies, I find it hard to believe their innocence sometimes because half the time they do express interest in other women; with Holloway, I find his friendship with Christine McIntyre completely believable; he really does seem like the type that would just be really friendly and easy to get along with. Again, though, I just find it hard to watch Holloway running around doing chases; it really does feel like he’s uncomfortable doing it.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

Jules White must have preferred doing domestic comedies, it seems like most of the comedies are about marriage mixups and misunderstandings. I wish there could be more work comedies like The Three Stooges did.

I did find it funny that the boss didn’t want his employees to have wives, in essence believing they should be married to the job.