Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Virtual Two-Reelity (Three Stooges Meet the Baron" edit)

Offline middlenamewayne

My theory that the Stooges' disappointing features could be trimmed into excellent two-reelers has been producing mixed results. A previous test on "Swing Parade" looked promising but I stalled out as far as keeping a coherent plot at 35 minutes. Current efforts have been on Meet the Baron and Gold Raiders -- the former I think is a success at 25 minutes despite my sloppy edits on the intro credits and a long stretch (5 mins) before the Stooges come in [watch it yourself here: https://www.facebook.com/kenneth.w.lieck/videos/10219220461687285 ]. Concerning the latter, however, I gained a new respect for the film when I found almost nothing could be cut from it without making a total mess out of it!

Note: I couldn't find entries for either of these two features listed in their respective Stooges discussion sections here! Whazzup widdat???

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
That's a pretty good condensed version of Meet the Baron!  I won't criticize your editing, as I doubt I could do it as well as you did.  Healy and the Stooges were the best part of that film.  :)

Note: I couldn't find entries for either of these two features listed in their respective Stooges discussion sections here! Whazzup widdat???

That's a darn good question.  How in the world have we not had a review and discussion about what I think is arguably the best pre-Columbia film the Stooges were in?

Offline metaldams

I’ll get on it.  I have not seen Swing Parade in years and only have it on VHS - and no VCR anymore, but there’s always YouTube.  I’ll do MEET THE BARON as well.  In addition to being Stooge related, the Durante and MGM links piggyback it to some of the Keaton films we discussed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

I’ll get on it.  I have not seen Swing Parade in years.  I’ll do MEET THE BARON as well.

For the record, the two I was referring to were Meet the Baron and Gold Raiders. (I didn't look to see whether Swing Parade was listed or not...)
So, they don't get added until you're ready to start the discussion on them, is that how it works? That makes more sense than them just accidentally being left out!

(As long as I'm here, have you seen the extremely rare clip of "Who's On First?" that I posted on my old 1B2S YT channel? Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmTYpVtICE )

Offline metaldams

For the record, the two I was referring to were Meet the Baron and Gold Raiders. (I didn't look to see whether Swing Parade was listed or not...)
So, they don't get added until you're ready to start the discussion on them, is that how it works? That makes more sense than them just accidentally being left out!

(As long as I'm here, have you seen the extremely rare clip of "Who's On First?" that I posted on my old 1B2S YT channel? Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmTYpVtICE )

I first had a VHS copy of Gold Raiders - no more VHS player.  Then I bought it on DVD on a set that only played once - and every other poster on this board had the same experience.  Warner Brothers screwed up the DVD.  It’s available for free online with a zillion commercial interruptions.  I may just cave in and download it on Amazon prime.

Yeah, I did the shorts and Derita features in order, after that, it’s been whenever I feel like it.  I’ll try to get to everything I can at some point.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

That's a pretty good condensed version of Meet the Baron!  I won't criticize your editing, as I doubt I could do it as well as you did. 

Thank you! (I only mentioned the sloppy credits so people wouldn't think the whole thing was gonna be like that and give up on it right away!)

Offline middlenamewayne

I first had a VHS copy of Gold Raiders .  It’s available for free online with a zillion commercial interruptions.  I may just cave in and download it on Amazon prime.

I use a browser that has a download button on Youtube. I started messing around with MtB, GR  and Have Rocket... because for some reason the ones I really wanted to do
(Swing Parade and Outlaws is Coming) didn't download right the first time. (I have most on DVD but can't transfer them to edit...) Anyhow, if you d/l off YT you don't get any ads...

Offline metaldams

I use a browser that has a download button on Youtube. I started messing around with MtB, GR  and Have Rocket... because for some reason the ones I really wanted to do
(Swing Parade and Outlaws is Coming) didn't download right the first time. (I have most on DVD but can't transfer them to edit...) Anyhow, if you d/l off YT you don't get any ads...

Can’t find Gold Raiders on YouTube for free.  Saw it on ok.ru where the advertisements were.  Tried to watch it six months ago on that site to review and the advertisements put me off.  However, I did just spend $5.99 and downloaded it from Amazon Prime - the first time I ever paid to download a movie in my life.  There will be a review this weekend!

I will also check out your edits in the next few days.  I’m sure with just Stooge stuff, they’re pretty good.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

I finished my edit of Swing Parade, and though it still clocks in at a whopping 30 minutes but I think it came out much better than my trim of Meet the Baron did ...
By switching things around a bit, I even managed to have it begin with the Stooges right off the bat: www.facebook.com/kenneth.w.lieck/videos/10219272291703003