Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2021 MLB Thread...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It seems like I start this topic every year, but with that gawd-awful Superbowl & the Heat dogging it in the NBA, I need a major sports fix. So much so, that I'm actually thinking about spending this Sunday watching spring training (yipes)...

The Mets seem to be poised to really compete, even after losing the Trevor Bauer sweepstakes. The lineup is more than capable, but the issue--as it is with many teams--is starting pitching & whenever Noah Syndeergaard can come back from injury, who knows if he'll be close to his old self before Tommy John.

I'm sure there's some intrigue in the American League, too. Almost forgot that AJ Hinch is back with the Tigers & even sweeter, this season the old 10 team playoff format is back, which probably means the Universal DH is probably kaput, too (not sure about that one)...

play ball...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

There’s something seriously wrong with baseball when the Yankees give the Red Sox a good reliever and a prospect to make more room in their payroll.

I’ll be watching like an addict anyway.  Go Sox.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
10 team playoff, 7 inning double headers, and no universal DH were already confirmed.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Not a fan of 7 inning double headers at all.  Games are nine innings and I’m a purist in that sense. 

I hope that extra inning guy on second doesn’t return.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think I'm cool with the 7-piece doubleheaders, but the extra man on second base during extra innings; no bueno....   >:(
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Not a fan of 7 inning double headers at all.  Games are nine innings and I’m a purist in that sense. 

I hope that extra inning guy on second doesn’t return.

Yes, that is returning as well...  >:(
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Offline HomokHarcos

I have a feeling they might try to find a way to make those rules permanent, however gimmicky. Personally, I don't even like having designated hitters.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I don't know if I'm reversing my stance on 7-inning games, but I'm watching the live stream of the Mets playing Houston & I'm finding myself wishing it was a full 9 inning contest--even though, I know spring training means "bupkis" in the long run...

;)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Opening Day is here and I'm sort of excited. There's a glut of good pitching matchups all day & night--hope my Mets come out firing...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just found out on Baseball Tonight that Mets & Nats won't play until Saturday--co-vid 19 rears its ugly head...   [cry]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Watching the Tigers game atm & here we go with that lame ass extra innings rule...   ::)

Offline metaldams

Red Sox win in extras last night, but almost lost because of giving up a run.

Man starts inning on 2nd.  Wild pitch advances runner to third followed by RBI groundout.  Pitcher retires all three batters faced and run still scores.

I really hate this rule.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm feeling very indifferent about how the Mets won today, with Conforto intentionally leaning into a pitch to get plunked with the bases loaded & the Mets walking off because the umps didn't call him out....

At any rate, it's great to have fans in the seats again & not just because I'm looking forward to the next time the Astros are on the road & whether or not the fans will bring trash cans with them...   :laugh:

Offline metaldams

I'm feeling very indifferent about how the Mets won today, with Conforto intentionally leaning into a pitch to get plunked with the bases loaded & the Mets walking off because the umps didn't call him out....

At any rate, it's great to have fans in the seats again & not just because I'm looking forward to the next time the Astros are on the road & whether or not the fans will bring trash cans with them...   :laugh:

Michael Conforto had one of my first moments watching baseball where I realized I’m getting old.  When he was a rookie, they showed his Mom in the stands.  I thought she was attractive.  I’m noticing the baseball player’s Moms.  Hell, the younger ones, I can be their Dad.   [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's tough getting old, isn't it Metal?  :laugh: I can't remember Conforto's mom, but I do notice a lot of the hotties in the stands watching various games. At the moment, though, I think I'm in love with Heidi Watney from the MLB Network....

Offline metaldams

It's tough getting old, isn't it Metal?  :laugh: I can't remember Conforto's mom, but I do notice a lot of the hotties in the stands watching various games. At the moment, though, I think I'm in love with Heidi Watney from the MLB Network....

Heidi Watney used to be the Red Sox sideline reporter.  Definitely attractive.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Michael Conforto had one of my first moments watching baseball where I realized I’m getting old.  When he was a rookie, they showed his Mom in the stands.  I thought she was attractive.  I’m noticing the baseball player’s Moms.  Hell, the younger ones, I can be their Dad.   [pie]

Same thing here.  I now find attractive girls I thought were terrible old back 8-10 years ago.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

The Fish got robbed yesterday, but it was all Bass's fault in the first place.  He has been a dumpster fire in every appearance this season, and this is his 10th or 11th team in the last 9 or 10 seasons.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Apparently, that hefty Mets payroll can't buy hits--especially with men on base. Poor deGrom, another brilliant start that might end with a no decision or loss...    [cry]

Offline metaldams

Apparently, that hefty Mets payroll can't buy hits--especially with men on base. Poor deGrom, another brilliant start that might end with a no decision or loss...    [cry]

Yeah, I hate it when that happens.  [cool]

All kidding and tonight aside, the entire Mets squad owes DeGrom about 30 steak dinners.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Believe me Metal--as a long suffering Mets fan--I've heard too many depressing numbers about the Mets record when they squander these great pitching performances by deGrom; especially when he's in his prime & building a Hall of Fame worthy career....   :-\

Offline metaldams

Believe me Metal--as a long suffering Mets fan--I've heard too many depressing numbers about the Mets record when they squander these great pitching performances by deGrom; especially when he's in his prime & building a Hall of Fame worthy career....   :-\

I just read he has over 30 something games in his career where he’s gone six innings and gave up zero or one run and has either lost or had a no decision - insane.  I have an old school friend (in his sixties) who swears by win totals for HOF credentials, to the point of questioning Pedro Martinez’s HOF worthiness.  That mentality may delay DeGrom, and it’s a shame.

For some irony, last night’s Red Sox pitcher, Nick Pivetta, I saw on the Phillies beat the Red Sox and Chris Sale 1-0 back in 2017.  Pivetta actually got a no decision as he went 7 and the go ahead run scored in the 8th, but there is irony there.  Out of the zillion Red Sox vs Phillies games I attended, it’s the only time the Phils ever won.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
In recent years (not this year; this year is a train wreck), this has happened a lot to the Marlins as well.  Sandy Alcantara or Pablo Lopez will go out there and give up 1 or 2 runs in 6-7 innings and get a loss or ND, yet somehow two nights later Robert Dugger or Jordan Yamamoto would go out there and gives up 3-7 runs and somehow get 2-7 runs of support.  Too many pitchers suffer from "cold bat" syndrome.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I was hoping the Tigers would at least  be doing better than last this year.