Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Odor in the Court (1934) - Clark and McCullough

Offline metaldams

Bobby Clark and Paul McCullough are these days a forgotten comedy team except for those of us who really, really seek these old two reelers out.  ODOR IN THE COURT, last I checked, is their most voted on film on IMDb.com, with only 41 votes.  Starting out on stage before making some early talkies for Fox, they then moved onto RKO’s two reel unit in 1930 and would remain so until the mid thirties.  Shortly after, in 1936, Paul McCullough sadly committed suicide.  What we got in the meantime were a bunch of pre code comedies that had some raunchy humor for the time as well as familiar faces like Dorothy Granger, Bud Jamison, Vernon Dent and James Finlayson.  Clark was a shyster who had painted on glasses and always had a wisecrack and a ton of energy.  McCullough, whose role diminished as the years went by, pretty much tagged along and always had a quick remark and a twinkle in his eye, but really a case where Clark became the dominant character at RKO.

ODOR IN THE COURT is a high energy, pre code divorce court comedy where Clark and McCullough play lawyers and have no reverence for the judge or the legal system in general.  Their contempt for authority very much plays like The Marx Brothers as does their penchant for spectacle.  As they enter the courtroom, they’re joined by a huge marching band and audience.  It feels like a giant pep rally with Bobby Clark leading the way, jumping in the stand and leading the crowd on.  At one point, Clark even has the marching band play a giant g chord.  A place of law getting made a spectacle very similar to The Marx Brothers in DUCK SOUP in their “We’re Going to War” musical number in parliament.  Clark himself is also quite the spectacle, interrupting his rival lawyer after every sentence with an objection, him and McCullough sticking a rotten egg in the rival lawyer’s pants and making quite a broad performance as he is leading the witness stand.  Bobby Clark proves himself to be a very energetic comedian here.

Other fun bits include Clark and McCullough trying to get Tom Kennedy to admit he is hurt after a slight fall down on the sidewalk.  Kennedy is fine, but being the shyster lawyers they are, they try to exaggerate Kennedy’s condition by dirtying him up, tearing his clothes and giving him a black eye. 

Later on, we get to see Clark and McCullough’s office, a room that looks like a bomb was ignited in it.  In reality, it is because they enjoy throwing horseshoes indoors.  They even encourage a client to throw a horseshoe through a glass door, landing on their secretary’s back side.  To add to the pre code fun, they set up their rival lawyer by framing a picture where he is rubbing a women’s knee while she kisses him and for the best pre code moment of them all, there’s the woman standing above the ventilator.  As the wind blows from below, her skirt lifts high in the air, revealing a garter belt stockings, and a pair of shapely legs.  Clark and McCullough approve.  So do I, if I’m being honest.  Some people will say this is a precursor to the famous Marilyn Monroe shot twenty years later, but we all know the concept of a skirt being blown in the air by ventilator originated in kilt form by Stan Laurel in PUTTING PANTS ON PHILLIP. 

So yes, ODOR IN THE COURT is a fun pre code comedy with a little raunch and tons of energy and disrespect for authority.  Would make a nice short to view before Wheeler and Woolsey’s PEACH O’RENO - also RKO and a feature that deals with divorce court.  An argument can be made these both their respective teams best films.  If not, pretty darn close.  Moronika’s own Geno Cuddy has every extant Clark and McCullough film available on his YouTube channel, Geno’s House of Rare Films.  I highly suggest checking it out and subscribing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GenoCuddy

Great review Metaldams!  ;D

This is my favorite of Clark and McCullough's RKO shorts, I don't think Clark has ever been so exhaustively funny than he is in the last reel of this.
As some board members may know, I guested on Phil Hall's Online Movie Show podcast discussing the pair, for those who haven't heard it, I will attach the link below.

I am elated to have had a small role in the reappraisal of Clark and McCullough's work, for too long I think they have been unfairly derided by most classic comedy buffs.
I think partly due to the minimal role of Paul McCullough which, if you watch the films very closely, he is always up to his own mischief in the background.
Some have also dismissed Clark as a ripoff Groucho Marx, but people must also remember that the loudmouth, wise-cracking shyster was a popular character in vaudeville and, during the grim and hard-boiled early 30's, was a welcome source of laughter as they saw in these characters,  the little guy standing up to authority, the authority that the public lost trust in when the Stock Market crashed.

Also, yes, this would pair greatly with Wheeler and Woolsey's Peach O'Reno, two very similar films and it seems Peach O'Reno is almost an expansion on the two-reeler, very similar endings.

Also, worthy to mention is that this short is among the favorites of Richard W. Bann and Leonard Maltin, so if my words don't carry any weight, there you go.

Anyway, great review Metaldams, look forward to more!

Clark and McCullough podcast link:  https://soundcloud.com/onlinemovieshow/clark-and-mccullough

Offline metaldams

Great review Metaldams!  ;D

This is my favorite of Clark and McCullough's RKO shorts, I don't think Clark has ever been so exhaustively funny than he is in the last reel of this.
As some board members may know, I guested on Phil Hall's Online Movie Show podcast discussing the pair, for those who haven't heard it, I will attach the link below.

I am elated to have had a small role in the reappraisal of Clark and McCullough's work, for too long I think they have been unfairly derided by most classic comedy buffs.
I think partly due to the minimal role of Paul McCullough which, if you watch the films very closely, he is always up to his own mischief in the background.
Some have also dismissed Clark as a ripoff Groucho Marx, but people must also remember that the loudmouth, wise-cracking shyster was a popular character in vaudeville and, during the grim and hard-boiled early 30's, was a welcome source of laughter as they saw in these characters,  the little guy standing up to authority, the authority that the public lost trust in when the Stock Market crashed.

Also, yes, this would pair greatly with Wheeler and Woolsey's Peach O'Reno, two very similar films and it seems Peach O'Reno is almost an expansion on the two-reeler, very similar endings.

Also, worthy to mention is that this short is among the favorites of Richard W. Bann and Leonard Maltin, so if my words don't carry any weight, there you go.

Anyway, great review Metaldams, look forward to more!

Clark and McCullough podcast link:  https://soundcloud.com/onlinemovieshow/clark-and-mccullough

I first heard of Clark and McCullough about 20 years ago when I was in my early twenties myself.  I was back then posting on the now defunct threestooges.com message board and a fellow poster sent me a VHS tape of about fix or six Clark and McCullough shorts, ODOR IN THE COURT amongst them.  I enjoyed them, but have not watched much VHS the past several years.  Your YouTube channel helped me to revisit the shorts on that collection plus several others I haven’t seen.

I personally never thought of Bobby Clark as a ripoff of Groucho, recognizing both were on stage for years and probably developed their characters separately.  It would be great if we could see the origins of all these old characters, but their performances are lost to time, sadly.

As far as whose words carry weight, you’re posting this stuff online.  A moving picture is worth 1,000 words, so we can now decide for ourselves thanks to you.   More reviews will be on the way for sure, glad you enjoyed this one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

One of my favorite Clark and McCullough films (which were largely hit and miss) and their last pre-Code outing. Released in August 1934, the refreshingly outrageous "Odor in the Court" managed to squeak by the Production Code, which was established a month earlier.  We can be grateful this two-reeler avoided the censor's shears. A fast and furious short that demands repeated viewings. 

An interesting quote from occasional director Sam White:  "The thing about Clark and McCullough was that when you directed them on the set, they were hysterical. I used to think that the scenes I was making would split my gut. When we got it on film, it wasn't funny. They just never came off funny. They exuded some kind of chemistry in person that never came off on the screen as it should have." I wholeheartedly disagree, but it would have been great to see their live act.

Though the high-energy "Alibi Bye Bye" (1935) ended Clark and McCullough's career on a high note, I wonder how the duo would have fared in future shorts with the Hays Office breathing down their necks. Would they have met the same watered-down fate as fellow RKO comedians Wheeler & Woolsey? We'll never know.

10/10
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 01:00:53 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline metaldams

One of my favorite Clark and McCullough films (which were hit and miss) and their last pre-Code outing.  Released in August 1934, the outrageous "Odor in the Court" managed to squeak by the Production Code, which was established a month earlier.  A fast and furious short that demands repeated viewings. 

An interesting quote from occasional director Sam White:  "The thing about Clark and McCullough was that when you directed them on the set, they were hysterical. I used to think that the scenes I was making would split my gut. When we got it on film, it wasn't funny. They just never came off funny. They exuded some kind of chemistry in person that never came off on the screen as it should have." I wholeheartedly disagree, but I would have loved to see their live act.

Though the high-energy "Alibi Bye Bye" (1935) ended Clark and McCullough's career on a high note, I wonder how the duo would have fared in future shorts with the Hays Office breathing down their necks. Would they have met the same watered-down fate as fellow RKO comedians Wheeler & Woolsey? We'll never know.

10/10

IMDb does state August 1934 like you mention and if that’s really the case - then this is not pre code.  July 1, 1934 s when the code started.  Hmmm, really shocked they got away with a few of these gags if that Aug 2 1934 date is accurate.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

IMDb does state August 1934 like you mention and if that’s really the case - then this is not pre code.  July 1, 1934 s when the code started.  Hmmm, really shocked they got away with a few of these gags if that Aug 2 1934 date is accurate.

The earliest screenings I could find took place on July 17, 1934 in Montgomery, Alabama and Muscatine, Iowa. Since the two-reeler was completed before July 1, perhaps the Hays Office gave the film a pass. When it came to short subjects, the censors were more focused on Betty Boop than Clark and McCullough.

Offline GenoCuddy

One of my favorite Clark and McCullough films (which were largely hit and miss) and their last pre-Code outing.  Released in August 1934, the refreshingly outrageous "Odor in the Court" managed to squeak by the Production Code, which was established a month earlier.  We can be grateful this two-reeler avoided the censor's shears. A fast and furious short that demands repeated viewings. 

An interesting quote from occasional director Sam White:  "The thing about Clark and McCullough was that when you directed them on the set, they were hysterical. I used to think that the scenes I was making would split my gut. When we got it on film, it wasn't funny. They just never came off funny. They exuded some kind of chemistry in person that never came off on the screen as it should have." I wholeheartedly disagree, but I would have loved to see their live act.

10/10

I also disagree with Mr. White's assessment, many of these two-reelers are great, among my favorites are of course Odor in the Court but also Jitters The Butler, False Roomers, Bedlam of Beards, Love and Hisses and Alibi Bye Bye. I hope The Millionaire Cat, Flying Down To Zero, A Melon-Drama and A Peep on the Deep surface someday, I have more hope for those than I do the Fox films.

As far as your question if the boys would have been watered down post-code, they very well could have, a sneaking suspicion of mine is RKO would have cancelled the series and had Clark and McCullough as comedy support in the Astaire-Rogers films.

Offline metaldams

Or if they continued on longer, perhaps instead of staying at RKO and playing support to Astaire and Rogers, maybe they would’ve gone to the assisted living home of so many old comedians of the day - The Columbia Shorts Department.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

When I saw the title, I assumed the story was going to be different. Like some Limburger cheese in the courtroom. As it is they are crooked lawyers that have never done business before. I like court stories, so this was entertaining, though I don't think it is as good as Disorder in the Court. I'm curious to watch Wheeler and Woolsey's movie with a similar premise. I like Paul McCullough's laugh, probably one of the funniest behind Shemp.

Offline GenoCuddy

When I saw the title, I assumed the story was going to be different. Like some Limburger cheese in the courtroom. As it is they are crooked lawyers that have never done business before. I like court stories, so this was entertaining, though I don't think it is as good as Disorder in the Court. I'm curious to watch Wheeler and Woolsey's movie with a similar premise. I like Paul McCullough's laugh, probably one of the funniest behind Shemp.

Personally, I prefer Odor in the Court over Disorder in the Court.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Outside of this website, the only place where I’d really heard of Clark and McCullough was on a list where the classic comedy teams were ranked...and Clark and McCullough were near the bottom. So I was never really in a rush to ever see any of the works by these guys and figured they weren’t worth checking out. Well, I was wrong, because ODOR IN THE COURT was just so much fun to watch.

If I recall correctly, the big complaint that I read about was simply that Clark was annoying, and I can kind of see where that complaint comes from. As far as being a team goes, Clark and McCullough don’t really tend to work off of each other a lot here, as opposed to, say, Wheeler and Woolsey. Clark is definitely the dominant force here. But, in my opinion, he’s a funny dominant force. I especially like when he goes out of his way to trick the judge with his non-objections during the courtroom scenes. There’s something about how fast paced his dialogue is that makes him so funny. It’s kind of like the Ritz Brothers in HOTEL ANCHOVY. I can’t see this kind of fast paced, loudmouthed style working well in a feature, but it does work well in a short, especially one as surreal as this.

Not only do they go all out with the dialogue, but they also go all out with the visual spectacle as well. I too was reminded of DUCK SOUP when it came to the marching band. In fact, I’ll even go as far as saying that I prefer the marching band stuff here to the “We’re Going to War” number in DUCK SOUP. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy that too, but this seemed even more outlandish, especially when they keep cuing the band to play different selections. Probably my favorite gag is when Clark punches Tom Kennedy in the face; it’s a fast paced visual gag that just comes out of nowhere, and it works so well because of how unexpected it is.

McCullough himself didn’t really leave much of an impression on me, but again, that’s probably because Clark is the clear dominant force here. He wasn’t bad or anything, but he doesn’t leave much of an impression since he’s paired with Clark. Geno mentioned McCullough being up to his own mischief in the background during these shorts, so I may go back later and try to focus on what McCullough’s doing there, because it is very difficult to notice given everything else that happens here. Regardless, I still think that this is a very funny short and I’d definitely be up for watching more Clark and McCullough shorts in the future.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

I just looked at Clark’s IMDB page and it turns out his last two performances were in two different adaptations of ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Clark really must have loved surreality.

Here’s the one where he plays the King of Hearts (I only watched a little bit of it, but he does seem like a decent choice for the role)

“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

This was in the guess the supporting actress thread, but here’s an older Bobby Clark with Sherry O’Neil from Damn Yankees in 1956.  She’s the girl all the guys were ogling and following around in Fiddler’s Three.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GenoCuddy

This was in the guess the supporting actress thread, but here’s an older Bobby Clark with Sherry O’Neil from Damn Yankees in 1956.  She’s the girl all the guys were ogling and following around in Fiddler’s Three.

Can ya blame them? Rowr-Rowr-Rowr-Rowr

Offline metaldams

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This short was absolutely insane, but I say this in a good way.  After seeing how fast Clark works, it's no wonder McCullough was considered second fiddle, but man is he perfect as Clark's henchman.  It's truly awful what happened to Paul McCullough.

Wow, does this short show all disdain for order, semblance, authority, and all things moral and right.  We get some raunchy jokes about women's figures, we have sexualized blackmail, we have divorce, abuse, and drunkenness in the courtroom, and we have a savage nihilism from Clark.  What a wild mix it makes.

What has been previously said cannot be topped, but I must say I loved the use of camera angles fo create the effects seen throughout the short.  And we get to see a prime Tom Kennedy taking some heavy abuse.

What a barrel of energy these two are.  Especially astounding is the way they just play off words in rapid succession that makes Groucho Marx look sluggish.

I liked it.
#1 fire kibitzer