Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Tramp, Tramp, Tramp (1926) - Harry Langdon

Offline metaldams

TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP (1926) is the first released Harry Langdon feature and the first film produced by Langdon himself after leaving Mack Sennett.  By this time, Langdon had his minimal reaction and distant from the world act down perfectly.  Most silent comedians of the era either do a ton of creative things and react in a real broad way but Langdon got his laughs by doing little.  The story of TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is quite simple.  Langdon’s Dad runs a little shoe store that’s about to be run out of business by a large national competitor called Burton Shoes.  Langdon’s Dad has three months to pay the rent or lose his home.  The father depends on his son Harry to earn the money in the three months.  Langdon stumbles into a cross country walking race, (from Massachusetts to California), and the grand prize is $25,000.  The majority of the comedy stems from this simple premise of a cross country walking race.  Simple premise, lots of land covered to breed several comic situations.  There is also, as with most silent comedies, the girl.  She is the daughter of the Burton Shoes owner and appears on the billboard ads, so Harry becomes smitten with her.  She is none other than a young and pre fame Joan Crawford! 

As far as Langdon being separate from the world, a lot of funny comedy stems from this.  As his father mentions his needing three months to pay back rent or they’ll be thrown out, all Langdon can think about is how he won’t get his new bicycle before staring at the billboard across the street with the picture of his girl.  He has these vacant looks on his face and does random nose wipes and looks into space.  It’s not for everybody but for me, fascinating to watch.  More examples of a distant Langdon include the walk itself.  Notice how there’s a large group of men walking together in this race.  He is never with the group of men.  He finds random ways to take the wrong path and get into trouble by himself.  After getting into trouble for stealing chickens and arrested, same situation when he breaks away from the chain gang.  He’s never breaking free with the crowd, always a few steps behind them, always in his own little world.  As far as the cyclone in the end?  The rest of the town runs away and hides.  Harry arrives in the town later than everyone else and finds out about the cyclone moments later.  Langdon, on the other hand, stays in the middle of the buildings that are collapsing and barely notices what’s going on, waiting for a shave and a haircut.  Langdon is a fascinating character and this distant from the rest of the world persona I find to be quite funny.

Some great performance pieces from Langdon as well.  After the hysterical scene where he’s plastering pictures of a beautiful Joan all over his bedroom, his competitor roommate gives him alcohol and a ton of sleeping pills to finally put a hyper Langdon to sleep.  The camera just fixates on Langdon for a minute or two in a close up.  He’s rambling to no one, eyes slowly getting heavier and again, just fascinating watching him milk a simple premise liking getting tired and falling asleep.  Really amazing to watch.  Also hysterical when he’s looking at the billboard of Joan only for the real Joan Crawford to be right behind him.  When he notices this, all he can do is run around is dazed circles, completely confused.  Really funny when Joan beckons him to sit on the bench next to her and he is on the opposite end, only for her to tell him to come closer.  He’s like a dazed little kid, totally funny.

In the physical comedy realm, we do get a thrill comedy act where Langdon is being held on the middle of a fence with a belt buckle being strapped to a nail.  The fence is at the edge of a cliff.  There’s a similar, though less dangerous gag in THREE’S A CROWD and the theme is similar - there is no way Langdon is going to get out of this safely without some fall.  Lloyd, as dangerous as his stunts were, had a safe way out, not Langdon.  All Langdon does is take a hammer and remove another nail in the fence, causing the fence to slide down a long cliff.  As Langdon is sliding down, a few rocks need to be dodged similar to Buster Keaton in SEVEN CHANCES.  When he lands on the ground, the fence just happens to land upright at the very moment the other walkers in the competition are in that spot, blocking them.  Langdon, on the other side of the fence, remains separate from everyone else.  Brilliant gag.

TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is a great Langdon feature that I highly suggest to everyone.  Also fascinating seeing such a young and pretty pre stardom Joan Crawford.  Also check her out a year after this in Lon Chaney’s THE UNKNOWN.  Stooge fans, directed by Harry Edwards.  Yes, that Harry Edwards.  Edwards was a regular collaborator with Langdon and I would venture to guess got his Columbia gig because of him.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Earlier this year I had watched through the works of Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd and Laurel and Hardy. I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to watch any more silents, but then I decided to give Harry Langdon a try. I started with Tramp, Tramp, Tramp and ended up enjoying all of this First National films. Seeing Joan Crawford was quite a surprise, especially at that age. Even by the early 1930s she would look different than that. Harry Langdon was almost 50 when this was made. Some of the most memorable moments of the film for me:

The part where Harry Langdon posts pictures of Crawford all over the wall. One criticism I hear of Langdon is that he's creepy, and I guess it all depends on how you view him. I often look at him with childlike innocence, so his behavior doesn't bother me too much (though doing this in real life would NOT be OK). Then there's the chain gang section with the part when he is moving his foot but it is too heavy. The most spectacular part of the film is when he is off the ledge hanging by his clothing. It is very suspenseful, especially since Harry doesn't know the situation he is in. He tries to get himself uncaught, even though that is what is keeping him alive potentially! He falls down safely fortunately.

The main criticism is the way the race ends is anti-climatic, with him running across the finish line. I think a more spectacular finish would be if he was caught the in the wind and flew over the finish line. But maybe that would be too cliche and they actually did make the right choice.

I liked all of his First National movies. Tramp, Tramp, Tramp might actually be my least favorite of the bunch and I still liked it, which just shows how much I like his features. I'm hoping Heart Trouble shows up one day.  That is the number 2 on my list of lost films I'd like to see discovered, after Hats Off.  I'm also really considering watching the Sennett Langdon movies at some point in the future.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Excellent review. 

A truly great Langdon film — comparable to "The Strong Man."

Offline metaldams

Offline metaldams

Earlier this year I had watched through the works of Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd and Laurel and Hardy. I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to watch any more silents, but then I decided to give Harry Langdon a try. I started with Tramp, Tramp, Tramp and ended up enjoying all of this First National films. Seeing Joan Crawford was quite a surprise, especially at that age. Even by the early 1930s she would look different than that. Harry Langdon was almost 50 when this was made. Some of the most memorable moments of the film for me:

The part where Harry Langdon posts pictures of Crawford all over the wall. One criticism I hear of Langdon is that he's creepy, and I guess it all depends on how you view him. I often look at him with childlike innocence, so his behavior doesn't bother me too much. Then there's the chain gang section with the part when he is moving his foot but it is too heavy. The most spectacular part of the film is when he is off the ledge hanging by his clothing. It is very suspenseful, especially since Harry doesn't know the situation he is in. He tries to get himself uncaught, even though that is what is keeping him alive potentially! He falls down safely fortunately.

The main criticism is the the way the race ends is anti-climatic, with him running across the finish line. I think a more spectacular finish would be if he was caught the in the wind and flew over the finish line. But maybe that would be too cliche and they actually did make the right choice.

I liked all of his First National movies. Tramp, Tramp, Tramp might actually be my least favorite of the bunch and I still liked it, which just shows how much I like his features. I'm hoping Heart Trouble shows up one day.  That is the number 2 on my list of lost films I'd like to see discovered, after Hats Off.  I'm also really considering watching the Sennett Langdon movies at some point in the future.

Definitely check out the Sennett Langdons.  If you like the five First National features, I have no doubt you’ll like the shorts.

Here is the other Langdon review I did for FIDDLESTICKS.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6627.0.html

As far as Joan Crawford, yes, it is amazing the way her look changed.  She was never a homely woman and I’m not one of these guys who thinks all women look better when they were younger, but in the case of Joan, it’s almost shocking to see her in her silent work.  A very beautiful young women.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/04/tramp-tramp-tramp-1926-review.html

When I read the scribe file articles I shared in the COUNCIL ON DE FENCE post recently, one thing that really stuck out to me was how they described Langdon as taking things slow, because I think that’s both a positive and a negative thing in the case of this movie. On the one hand, like most of the other Langdon movies I’ve seen, this leads to some very unique comedy situations like the tiny hammer scene. I couldn’t see Lloyd or even Keaton pulling that off in the same way. At the same time, though, there are scenes like the cab driver scene that really aren’t funny from the start, since he’s annoying someone who doesn’t really deserve to be annoyed, and because Langdon’s style is to take things slow, this means that he spends way too long on stuff like that. TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is perfectly fine entertainment, and it is cool seeing Joan Crawford in such an early role, but I do think THE STRONG MAN is a better example of a Harry Langdon feature, as most of the comedic setups are better and he has kind of a sweet story to go with it too. I really should check out LONG PANTS. I’m checking out HOUSE OF ERRORS for my next blog review, but maybe I’ll continue the “Harry Langdon” theme and check out LONG PANTS after that.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/04/tramp-tramp-tramp-1926-review.html

When I read the scribe file articles I shared in the COUNCIL ON DE FENCE post recently, one thing that really stuck out to me was how they described Langdon as taking things slow, because I think that’s both a positive and a negative thing in the case of this movie. On the one hand, like most of the other Langdon movies I’ve seen, this leads to some very unique comedy situations like the tiny hammer scene. I couldn’t see Lloyd or even Keaton pulling that off in the same way. At the same time, though, there are scenes like the cab driver scene that really aren’t funny from the start, since he’s annoying someone who doesn’t really deserve to be annoyed, and because Langdon’s style is to take things slow, this means that he spends way too long on stuff like that. TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is perfectly fine entertainment, and it is cool seeing Joan Crawford in such an early role, but I do think THE STRONG MAN is a better example of a Harry Langdon feature, as most of the comedic setups are better and he has kind of a sweet story to go with it too. I really should check out LONG PANTS. I’m checking out HOUSE OF ERRORS for my next blog review, but maybe I’ll continue the “Harry Langdon” theme and check out LONG PANTS after that.

I would love to hear your take on LONG PANTS.  I could only begin to imagine the review.  That’s a film I should get to as well and will someday, but all I’ll say is it’s a film you’ll never forget.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Definitely check out the Sennett Langdons.  If you like the five First National features, I have no doubt you’ll like the shorts.

Here is the other Langdon review I did for FIDDLESTICKS.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6627.0.html

As far as Joan Crawford, yes, it is amazing the way her look changed.  She was never a homely woman and I’m not one of these guys who thinks all women look better when they were younger, but in the case of Joan, it’s almost shocking to see her in her silent work.  A very beautiful young women.

Once I finish watching through Our Gang, there are a few more I am considering:
The rest of Harry Langdon (I've only seen the First National period)
Charley Chase
Mabel Normand (Excluding the ones with Chaplin I've already watched)
Roscoe Arbuckle (Excluding the ones with Keaton I've already watched)
Larry Semon
Stan Laurel solos
Wheeler and Woolsey
Jerry Lewis (including the ones with Dean)

As for Long Pants that may actually be my favorite of the Langdon features. Either that or The Chaser. Three's a Crowd has my favorite set.

Offline metaldams

Bump.  When you’re done with SATURDAY AFTERNOON, revisit this one, as it’s the next in line in releases for Langdon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I took a week off from reviewing to give myself time to watch this one... which took four days in my case!

TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is a pleasant film that never fails to keep your interest even if a couple moments are a bit tedious.  Harry is just so disconnected from the world, and it is manifest in so many ways.

As metaldams said before, Harry never is with the other walkers but is merely among them.  He walks funny and can't walk straight, he has no focus, and doesn't even know where he is going half the time.  He walks in circles, talks to no one, and has this ridiculously childlike complex that just defines him perfectly.

How many people would know that the legendary Joan Crawford (a.k.a. Mommy Dearerst, who used coat hangers to violent effect before Mario Puzo did) had one of her first starring roles in a Harry Langdon silent?  I, for one, did not expect this and for a moment even wondered if it was a different person of the same name.

The highlight is definitely that cliff hanging scene.  While it occurs at the midpoint, it's the funniest part as he's so clueless and then is so relaxed when he thinks he is saving himself by nailing his shirt to the fence.  That moment and the scene in the hotel room are quintessential Harry Langdon.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Of all my blog reviews, I’m most disappointed in my reviews for the two Langdon silent features, as I felt I rated both too low and just didn’t have the right understanding of Langdon at the time to truly appreciate them. If I was still doing the rating system, TRAMP TRAMP TRAMP would be at least a 9, maybe even a 9.5. I still don’t like the cab driver scene; it is very monotonous and I do feel bad for the guy. Otherwise, though, everything you would want in a Langdon feature is there, and I just failed to see it the first time. The way he handles the cyclone is bizarre...but when you really think about it, that is the way Harry Langdon should pull it off, and with a character far removed from reality, he can pull that off.

I too was surprised to find one of Joan Crawford’s earliest roles to be in this movie and the first time I saw it, I also had to wonder if it was someone else, because she looks way different here compared to her later work. She doesn’t really have a ton to do, but that’s fine because, if anything, the romance is more there just to give Langdon a chance to do more childlike gags. I agree HomokHarcos; the first time I saw Harry hanging up all those posters of Joan, I was kind of creeped out. Now, knowing how the Langdon character works and out of touch with reality he is, I find it absolutely hilarious, especially when Tom Murray walks in and is beyond confused as to what’s going on. I said previously that I found Murray to be too boring and while he’s not necessarily Dent, he fits the role you need him for, which is someone to hate and be glad to see get his comeuppance, examples including when he falls down the hole with the ball and chain or when he trips over Harry moving rocks out of his way (which is a hilarious scene, by the way).

As before, I enjoy the scene on the cliff and the prison scenes. The way Harry is out of step with the prisoners throughout, it reminds me a lot of Dopey in SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, and I feel this is not a coincidence considering Langdon’s name did come up during SNOW WHITE story meetings. I think it’s very possible that they could have referenced this scene specifically for the “Heigh Ho” sequence there. I love the part with him trying to pick the small hammer only for him to cause chaos to the guard who wants him to grab a larger one, especially when he casually takes the guard’s gun in the typical, confused Harry manner. I also enjoy the part with him getting hit by the other guy’s hammer, but as before, my favorite scene is when he uses the smaller gun as a hammer. The climax has elements of THE GOLD RUSH in it with the barbershop that’s constantly tilting, and that works for me considering I also really like THE GOLD RUSH’s climax. They definitely cover all the right ground here for a Langdon feature. Based on my experience, I think it’s best to watch the Langdon shorts before getting to the features, not necessarily because one is better than the other, but because I feel the Langdon shorts are a better introduction to what made his style so zany and fun, and once you’re immersed in that world, you can enjoy the features more, as I did. Great film, definitely one I’ll check out again.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Rumors of Nazareth writing a song about Natalie Kingston are just that, rumors.  [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky