Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Guess the supporting actress

metaldams · 109 · 23515

Offline hiramhorwitz

Correct!  It’s David Windsor.  Found it at Bill Cappello’s old blog, had to crop out the signature on the upper left hand corner.

http://billcappello.blogspot.com/2010/11/three-stooges-movie-babies.html

That is excellent, Metal - I'm mighty glad you posted Windsor's photo - there's actually a good bit of resemblance between Windsor's infant appearance and his later appearance - neat! 

I had forgotten about Cappello's website, until you mentioned it.  I surely wish he and Frank Reighter were still around - both very dedicated Stooge researchers and fine gentlemen - no one will ever replace them.

Offline Moose Malloy

Maybe the hottest Stooge player ever. Can you make her out?

A little help: From shorts and B's she ended up with roles in oscar worthy films. She had a role in a landmark 50's sci-fi/horror classic

Offline hiramhorwitz

Maybe the hottest Stooge player ever. Can you make her out?

A little help: From shorts and B's she ended up with roles in oscar worthy films. She had a role in a landmark 50's sci-fi/horror classic

Jean Willes?

Offline metaldams

Well....Jean Willes was in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

Right, guys it's Jean, Nurse Shapely in MONKEY BUSINESSMEN, her only Stooge short as far as I can tell. 

Tho' I've seen Body Snatchers quite a few times over the years I didn't recognize her from that, but from FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

Offline metaldams

Right, guys it's Jean, Nurse Shapely in MONKEY BUSINESSMEN, her only Stooge short as far as I can tell. 

Tho' I've seen Body Snatchers quite a few times over the years I didn't recognize her from that, but from FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

Jean Donahue/Willes was in several Stooge shorts, mostly with Shemp and yeah....she was a looker.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I was a bit confused on this one and after a while, I "reverse-engineer" searched this image through Google.

Hate to break it to you, but this appears to be, not Jean Willes, but '50s actress and one-time "Mrs. Howard Hughes" Jean Peters.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Moose Malloy

I was a bit confused on this one and after a while, I "reverse-engineer" searched this image through Google.

Hate to break it to you, but this appears to be, not Jean Willes, but '50s actress and one-time "Mrs. Howard Hughes" Jean Peters.
By god I think you're right. Like names often appear on the image search. In this case  "Jean". I noticed the smile on Peters was different with that prominent  eye-tooth, but was too lazy to make sure. Sorry

BTW: what's the "reverse engine" you mentioned? Sounds like a handy tool.

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
By god I think you're right. Like names often appear on the image search. In this case  "Jean". I noticed the smile on Peters was different with that prominent  eye-tooth, but was too lazy to make sure. Sorry

BTW: what's the "reverse engine" you mentioned? Sounds like a handy tool.

No problem, Moose. That tends to be one of the hazards of Google image search, I feel -- that other people with even just the same first name show up in the result, as well as a lot of misattributions (where an image is credited as someone, but it's actually someone else).

As for the "reverse engineer" trick, it's very DIY: I copied the image link (right-click + "Copy Image Location") and then entered the URL in the Google search engine. On the results, I clicked on "search by image" at the top, and if the "possible related search" does not adequately answer (in this case, it just said "lady"), there are other instances of the image on the web toward the bottom; it was through one of those results that I found it was Jean Peters.

(For the record, when I play this, I only resort to such when I am completely stumped... then of course I disqualify myself from the game.  ;) )

Offline Curly Van Dyke

Another Favorite Stooge Babe was Barbara Bartay. Not much of an Actress but a Doll with a Killer Figure!

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain

Offline metaldams

Guess away...

No idea.  Any clues?  What third Stooge did she appear with?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
No idea.  Any clues?  What third Stooge did she appear with?
Curly era. 2 shorts.

Offline metaldams

Curly era. 2 shorts.

I’ll ask two more questions.  When that picture was taken, was she about the same age as when she appeared in the Curly shorts?  Also, were they big roles?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
I’ll ask two more questions.  When that picture was taken, was she about the same age as when she appeared in the Curly shorts?  Also, were they big roles?

1. Yeah, roughly; maybe only a few years younger. I will say she was much less blonde, though.
2. Pretty big in the second half of the first one, then decent-ish but mostly at the beginning in the second.

Offline metaldams

I think it’s Jean Carmen.  Certainly not Dorothy Granger, the first two short actress who comes to mind.  I had to scour threestooges.net as Jean Carmen does not regularly come to mind, but looking through filmographies and pics and being brunette....

https://www.threestooges.net/cast/actor/294
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
I think it’s Jean Carmen.  Certainly not Dorothy Granger, the first two short actress who comes to mind.  I had to scour threestooges.net as Jean Carmen does not regularly come to mind, but looking through filmographies and pics and being brunette....

https://www.threestooges.net/cast/actor/294

Atta boy, metaldams! 'tis Jean Carmen (also known during her Republic days as Julia Thayer).

Not to be confused with the later Joe-era player, Jeanne Carmen (A MERRY MIX-UP), of course...

Offline metaldams

Atta boy, metaldams! 'tis Jean Carmen (also known during her Republic days as Julia Thayer).

Not to be confused with the later Joe-era player, Jeanne Carmen (A MERRY MIX-UP), of course...

Never in a million years would have guessed without the clues and threestooges.net.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Not a Stooge actress, but a classic comedy one.  Any guesses?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
Isn't that Sylvia Sidney?

Offline metaldams

Isn't that Sylvia Sidney?

No.  Clue - this actress is old enough to be Sylvia Sidney’s mother.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Another clue....as far as golden age comic supporting actresses go, she’s one of the more famous ones.  I’m not going obscure on you guys.  [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

Not a Stooge actress, but a classic comedy one.  Any guesses?
I think I got it....is that Miss Crabtree, who Jackie Cooper (and me) adored?

Offline metaldams

I think I got it....is that Miss Crabtree, who Jackie Cooper (and me) adored?

Not even close.  The answer is.........Margaret Dumont.
- Doug Sarnecky