Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Guess the supporting actress

metaldams · 109 · 23514

Offline metaldams

This one may be tough. This playbill  photo is the only decent pic I could find for her (not stooge related) in spite of her 20 some year career off Broadway and '60s - '70s TV sitcoms.

No clue who the lady is, but the guy is an older Bobby Clark from Clark and McCullough.  I knew he was familiar and it was driving me crazy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

This one may be tough. This playbill  photo is the only decent pic I could find for her (not stooge related) in spite of her 20 some year career off Broadway and '60s - '70s TV sitcoms.

IMDB shows her sitcom appearances ending with It's About Time in 1967, but it surely looks like Sherry O'Neil.

Offline metaldams

IMDB shows her sitcom appearances ending with It's About Time in 1967, but it surely looks like Sherry O'Neil.

I say this half jokingly, but with some kernels of truth - half of Ms. O’Neil’s shots didn’t show her face, but since some do, I think you’re right.  Her hair is shorter and she’s a little older, but yeah, I think that’s her.

In Bobby Clark’s case, darken the hair and imagine the painted on glasses around the eyes and that gaze becomes unmistakable.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

I say this half jokingly, but with some kernels of truth - half of Ms. O’Neil’s shots didn’t show her face, but since some do, I think you’re right.  Her hair is shorter and she’s a little older, but yeah, I think that’s her.

In Bobby Clark’s case, darken the hair and imagine the painted on glasses around the eyes and that gaze becomes unmistakable.

To tell you the truth, I was going more on the appearance of her legs than her face - but there is an inkling of resemblance in the face, too.

No doubt about Bobby Clark - I recognized him immediately, even without the painted on spectacles.  No mistaking that gaze and pose!

Offline metaldams

To tell you the truth, I was going more on the appearance of her legs than her face - but there is an inkling of resemblance in the face, too.

No doubt about Bobby Clark - I recognized him immediately, even without the painted on spectacles.  No mistaking that gaze and pose!

Yes, the legs are distinctive and pretty much what she was selling in that Stooge appearance - and photo.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

You guys got it. That's her and I agree that her legs are more recognizable than her face. I'm not familiar with Clark, but it's him. I'm guessing that he was the devil and she was Lola in the off-Broadway DAMN YANKEES that the playbill (or poster) was acually from.

Besides FIDDLERS THREE the only other short she was in was a Besser. I can't recall if they were in the jungle or on another planet or what, but there were 3 tall gals talking jibberish and kissing the shit out of the old Stooges. I saw a photo from that one but I could not tell which girl was her!  :-\

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Besides FIDDLERS THREE the only other short she was in was a Besser. I can't recall if they were in the jungle or on another planet or what, but there were 3 tall gals talking jibberish and kissing the shit out of the old Stooges. I saw a photo from that one but I could not tell which girl was her!  :-\

I believe you're referring to SPACE SHIP SAPPY, but Sherry wasn't in that one. The three gals were Harriette Tarler, Lorraine Crawford and Marilyn Hanold.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

Offline metaldams

Offline hiramhorwitz

Guess this one.

Wow - what a great portrait of Esther Howard.  Just goes to show that everyone was young once.  Love it!

Offline metaldams

Wow - what a great portrait of Esther Howard.  Just goes to show that everyone was young once.  Love it!

Correct!  She was in her late 20’s in that pic, so young indeed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Who is the woman being stripped down in the middle?  Since this shouldn’t be as difficult as the others, bonus points if you get the movie.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
Who is the woman being stripped down in the middle?  Since this shouldn’t be as difficult as the others, bonus points if you get the movie.

I'll take 'em. Bess Flowers in A WOMAN OF PARIS (1923).

Offline metaldams

I'll take 'em. Bess Flowers in A WOMAN OF PARIS (1923).

Correct and correct! She’d be about 24 or 25 years old there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
Correct and correct! She’d be about 24 or 25 years old there.

Same age as me right now (I'll be the latter in a few months, actually).

Here's the scene in question, for those curious:

Offline metaldams

Same age as me right now (I'll be the latter in a few months, actually).

Here's the scene in question, for those curious:

That’s great footage!  She was quite statuesque.  For you people who are not Chaplin fans, A WOMAN OF PARIS is one of two films Charlie Chaplin directed that he did not act in - minus a Hitchcock like cameo.

I’m 40, so Bess Flowers was a few months older than me when A PLUMBING WE WILL GO was filmed.  When I was in my 20’s, I barely noticed her.  As I’ve gotten older, I watch those late 30’s and early 40’s shorts and think, “Yeah, if I were around then, I guess I’d date her.”  Looking at film actresses differently from films you’ve watched for decades to me is one of the most telling signs of aging.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

This picture is awesome.  Shouldn’t be too hard, but guess anyway - both adults.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

This picture is awesome.  Shouldn’t be too hard, but guess anyway - both adults.

Three of the four pictured individuals appeared in Grips, Grunts, and Groans.  And a younger daughter of the two adults (not yet born at the time of this photograph) just passed away this year at the age of 101.

Offline Kopfy2013

Robert and Eva McKenzie adults,  Ella daughter?
Niagara Falls

Offline metaldams

You guys are right, but I wasn’t aware until now their daughter appeared in Stooge shorts.  Nice info.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Here are three supporting players photographed in 2003.  Only one of them is still on this earth.

Offline hiramhorwitz

And here are three supporting players photographed in 2005.  As in the previous post, only one of these three still survives.

Offline metaldams

Here are three supporting players photographed in 2003.  Only one of them is still on this earth.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

And here are three supporting players photographed in 2005.  As in the previous post, only one of these three still survives.
OMG these guys are old! The little one I have no clue. But the guy on the right...hmmm. How about a little clue?