Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2017 MLB Thread

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, the Dodgers drew first blood, which wasn't unexpected.  I believe an important key for the Astros is whether Verlander can continue his postseason pitching excellence in tonight's game. Of course, Houston also needs to find a way to score more than a single run in at least one of their road games.

CHEERS! [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, the Dodgers drew first blood, which wasn't unexpected.  I believe an important key for the Astros is whether Verlander can continue his postseason pitching excellence in tonight's game. Of course, Houston also needs to find a way to score more than a single run in at least one of their road games.

CHEERS! [pie]
OK, Verlander wasn't exactly excellent last night, but hey, Houston and LA did end up scoring lots of runs in last night's "Home Run Derby," in which the Astros eventually prevailed over the Dodgers by a score of 7-6 in 11 innings, evening up the series at 1-1!

In other news, it appears that Joe Girardi and the Yankees have parted ways.  It seems to me this type of news used to be held back until the conclusion of the World Series. 

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

OK, Verlander wasn't exactly excellent last night, but hey, Houston and LA did end up scoring lots of runs in last night's "Home Run Derby," in which the Astros eventually prevailed over the Dodgers by a score of 7-6 in 11 innings, evening up the series at 1-1!

In other news, it appears that Joe Girardi and the Yankees have parted ways.  It seems to me this type of news used to be held back until the conclusion of the World Series. 

CHEERS!  [pie]

There were five home runs in extra innings last night, which I believe is a major league record not just for post season, but any game!  Crazy stuff.

A lot of teams are announcing their managers are gone before the World Series, but most bizarre is the Red Sox.  It's basically admitted Alex Cora is the next manager..as he's the bench coach for a team in the World Series!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

There were five home runs in extra innings last night, which I believe is a major league record not just for post season, but any game!  Crazy stuff.

A lot of teams are announcing their managers are gone before the World Series, but most bizarre is the Red Sox.  It's basically admitted Alex Cora is the next manager..as he's the bench coach for a team in the World Series!
Game 5 has already out crazied Game 2, and it ain't even over!

It was 11-8 in favor of Houston after 7 innings, last time I checked, but with pitching largely absent on both teams, it's far from over!  At this point, I'm hoping that the Astros can pull this one out.

The 2017 World Series hasn't been short on excitement, to be sure!

CHEERS! [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Game 5 has already out crazied Game 2, and it ain't even over!

It was 11-8 in favor of Houston after 7 innings, last time I checked, but with pitching largely absent on both teams, it's far from over!  At this point, I'm hoping that the Astros can pull this one out.

The 2017 World Series hasn't been short on excitement, to be sure!

CHEERS! [pie]
After 9 innings and almost 5 hours, Game 5 STILL isn't over, with the Astros and Dodgers knotted at 12 all! :o

Offline Tony Bensley

WOW!!!! After more than 5 hours and over 400 pitches thrown, the Houston Astros beat the LA Dodgers 13-12 in Game 5!

WHAT A GAME!!!  WHAT A SERIES!!!! And I don't even have cable!!!! ;D

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

WOW!!!! After more than 5 hours and over 400 pitches thrown, the Houston Astros beat the LA Dodgers 13-12 in Game 5!

WHAT A GAME!!!  WHAT A SERIES!!!! And I don't even have cable!!!! ;D

CHEERS!  [pie]

The crazy thing is Houston have at the very least made it to game 7 without having one bullpen arm capable of closing out a game.  Very unusual, but yes, this has been an amazing series.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

The crazy thing is Houston have at the very least made it to game 7 without having one bullpen arm capable of closing out a game.  Very unusual, but yes, this has been an amazing series.
Yeah, that's normally a fatal blow, especially when your closer stinks up the mound, but in this case, BOTH bullpens have been coughing up massive hairballs, to put it mildly!  Perhaps Verlander can make the pen a non factor for the Astros in the next game?

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Lefty

When I first saw the line score, I thought for sure that Ken Giles had a "BS" next to his name in the box score.  Turns out he didn't even get into the game.  Maybe had the game gone to at least the 13th inning, GWB could have pitched.  Or maybe his ceremonial toss meant he couldn't get back in?   ::)

Just think how crazy this game would have been in the National League park, with no DH.  Both teams might have run out of pitchers.

In other news, it looks as though the Phillies will hire Gabe Kapler to be their next manager, going outside the or-guh-nye-zay-shun for the first time since Terry Francona got the job in 1997.  If Kapler gets the nod, he can bring in Barbarino and Washington as coaches, as unfortunately, Horshack and Epstein are no longer with us.

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, congratulations to the Houston Astros on getting their 1st ever World Series Championship, and also in being the 1st Texas based team to accomplish this! 

As it turned out, starting pitching was about as much of a non factor as conceivably possible, with Astros/Dodgers starters collectively winning only 2 of the 7 games played, which is apparently a new record for a 7 game series!  Additionally, Houston was able to pull it out, despite their unreliable closer Giles getting the hook after Game 4!  Of course, the Dodgers Darvish stinking up the mound in BOTH of his very short World Series starts (3 1/3 innings total!), somewhat neutralized that!

Houston's George Springer certainly more than earned his Willie Mays MVP Award honors, with 5 "Springer Dingers" (Home Runs), and generally great batting average in the Series!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Lefty

In 1979, the Pittsburgh Bumblebees won Game 7 of the World Series in Baltimore.  It was the last time the visiting team would win Game 7 until S.F. in 2014; and now it's 3 of the last 4 World Series that this has occurred.  (It's a good thing it did not take place in 2015.)  It is also the first time that the American League won Game 7 in the National League park since the A's beat the Reds in 1972, the last DH-less season.

For some reason, baseball doesn't have the home advantage that other sports do (or in the case of the NHL, did before the teams' cookie-cutter home "centers" were built). 

I'm okay with the Astros winning, although it would have been interesting to hear Chase Utley make the comment again that he did at the Phillies' parade in 2008.   ;)

Offline Tony Bensley

In 1979, the Pittsburgh Bumblebees won Game 7 of the World Series in Baltimore.  It was the last time the visiting team would win Game 7 until S.F. in 2014; and now it's 3 of the last 4 World Series that this has occurred.  (It's a good thing it did not take place in 2015.)  It is also the first time that the American League won Game 7 in the National League park since the A's beat the Reds in 1972, the last DH-less season.

For some reason, baseball doesn't have the home advantage that other sports do (or in the case of the NHL, did before the teams' cookie-cutter home "centers" were built). 

I'm okay with the Astros winning, although it would have been interesting to hear Chase Utley make the comment again that he did at the Phillies' parade in 2008.   ;)
Of course, this World Series will go down as one in which the baseballs were alleged to be juiced (As opposed to the players! ;)), and/or at least slicker than usual, by a number of the pitchers.  Starting Dodgers pitcher Yu Darvish said that it affected his slider, and I believe Justin Verlander commented about the slick balls, as well.  Be that as it may, a record 25 home runs were hit in the 2017 World Series, eclipsing the previous record of 21 hit in the 2002 World Series.

Were those "Juiced" balls leaving "Minute Maid" park?  ;D

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline stoogerascalfan62

Even though Houston's no longer an NL team, I thought I'd congratulate them.

Offline metaldams

Absolutely sucks to hear about Roy Halladay. These ball players and small plane crashes seem to happen too often.  As a Blue Jay, he was always a competitor Red Sox fans respected...and it was strange, he'd either kill Boston or Boston would light him up, rarely in between, it seems, and his career numbers bare this out.  As someone who lives in Philly territory, I can tell you Phillie fans love him.  On that note, extra baseball condolences to both Tony Bensley and Lefty.  Fuck!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Absolutely sucks to hear about Roy Halladay. These ball players and small plane crashes seem to happen too often.  As a Blue Jay, he was always a competitor Red Sox fans respected...and it was strange, he'd either kill Boston or Boston would light him up, rarely in between, it seems, and his career numbers bare this out.  As someone who lives in Philly territory, I can tell you Phillie fans love him.  On that note, extra baseball condolences to both Tony Bensley and Lefty.  Fuck!

Yes, we did love Doc.  It was a terrible tragedy, most definitely.  While I thoroughly enjoy watching the last out of his perfect game and his playoff no-hitter, yesterday was not how I wanted to see them. 

Even after he could no longer pitch, Doc would still help out with the Phillies' pitchers in spring training.

Roy Halladay, Thurman Munson, Corey Lidle -- maybe baseball players are just not cut out to be airplane pilots.

Offline metaldams

Yes, we did love Doc.  It was a terrible tragedy, most definitely.  While I thoroughly enjoy watching the last out of his perfect game and his playoff no-hitter, yesterday was not how I wanted to see them. 

Even after he could no longer pitch, Doc would still help out with the Phillies' pitchers in spring training.

Roy Halladay, Thurman Munson, Corey Lidle -- maybe baseball players are just not cut out to be airplane pilots.

Yeah, seriously about the baseball player pilots!  Tragic...and Lidle was a Phillie too.

As a Red Sox fan, safe to say Boston was Halladay's most common opponent.  Threw 275 innings against Boston, more than any other team, and was 14 - 15 with a 4.39 ERA, so yes, hit or miss.  He was 18 - 7 with a 2.98 ERA versus the Yankees. A longtime rival gone way too soon, feel awful for his family.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

I remember it was always a mixed bag whenever Roy pitched against Boston.  The Blue Jays could never seem to rise past the Red Sox or Yankees during those '00s seasons!

Yesterday's news of Roy Halladay's death at the all too young age of 40 was very shocking, to say the least!  That he was apparently a generous person who always gave so much of himself, makes it all the more painful!  My condolences to Roy's family, friends, and those whose lives he touched!  May he Rest in Peace.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Between my years watching the Red Sox (until 2006) and following the NL after Pedro Martinez went there (2005-2012), I saw a lot of Roy Halladay.  I knew that if I ever became a baseball player, I'd be a pitcher like Pedro or Roy.  This is all quite devastating, and my condolences go to all in his friends, family, and baseball family.

He was a generational talent, and I hope to go to Cooperstown one day and see the plaque he will 100% guaranteed have there on his first-ballot 90%+ vote.
#1 fire kibitzer