Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2017 MLB Thread

Offline metaldams

Let's start this bad boy.  I'll be away all weekend in some town called Cooperstown. Yippy skippy!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Cubs/Red Sox World Series this year--that's what most people will be clamoring for. The question I might have is, are the Cubs still a great ratings draw now that the "Curse" is over?

???
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

Cubs/Red Sox World Series this year--that's what most people will be clamoring for. The question I might have is, are the Cubs still a great ratings draw now that the "Curse" is over?

???
They will be in Chicago.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

???

I really think Boston has a lot of question marks barely being addressed, namely the questionable status of David Price, the bullpen, how a line up without Ortiz will function, and whether Pablo Sandoval can last a season.  Boston will be a good team, but I'm not automatically giving them the division the way others are.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Predictions:

1.  The Cubs will win the World Series, because whenever they have done so, it has been in consecutive years.  So after this year, they will have to wait until 2125.

2.  The Yankees and Cardinals will buy their way into the post-season.

3.  The Phillies will still suck.

4.  The Phillies will continue to still suck.

5.  The Red Sox will miss the playoffs by one game because of a mental breakdown by their first-base coach.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

There always seems to be that question of "health"--as in, can the Mets starters stay healthy? And do the Metropolitans have a lineup to back up that great starting pitching?

Can't wait for Opening Day, Sunday and Monday...   [cool]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, several months later, a lot of shit is going down. The Dodgers have gone apeshit crazy apparently trying to spend their way to the World Series (again). Maybe it will pay off this time....

Offline metaldams

Can't believe there hasn't been any baseball discussion, thanks for reviving this.

Boston just may have the division, a 5 game lead with 39 to go, but if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's never count out the New York "bridge year" Yankees.  Bridge year my ass, I've been waiting 25 years for these guys to have a losing season and it just won't happen.  Devers and Nunez have lifted Boston from OK to great.

The Dodgers are unbelievable, and that's WITH injuries.  We'll see what happens.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
We've seen the Red Sox throw away bigger leads with fewer games left.

Everyone's fawning over the Dodgers, but come October we're getting treated to the standard Clayton Kersh!+ that shows up every October.  The 2001 Mariners seemed invincible too, and they won the World Series were the biggest playoff disappointment possibly of all-time.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Everyone's fawning over the Dodgers, but come October we're getting treated to the standard Clayton Kersh!+ that shows up every October.  The 2001 Mariners seemed invincible too, and they won the World Series were the biggest playoff disappointment possibly of all-time.

When Boston blew their huge wild card lead in 2011 to Tampa Bay, I predicted it was going to happen a couple of weeks in advance when Boston had a 6.5 game lead.  A co-worker I told it to couldn't believe I was right and thought I was crazy when I made the prediction, but I could tell that team had no heart, and Boston had seven games left with Tampa Bay, who I knew they couldn't beat one on one.  Sure enough, Tampa Bay won six of seven.  It's possible Boston might lose the division only because this Yankee team won't die, but I can tell you the 2017 version has more heart than that 2011 team and I like their chances more of not blowing the division. I'm not yet predicting a World Series win, however.

Crazy couple of non no hitter days.  Yesterday, Doug Fister gives up a home run first batter and then essentially throws a no-hitter after the fact, throwing a one hit nine inning complete game win.  Today, Rich Hill loses a no hitter and the game in the tenth inning.  The latter is heartbreaking.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

With apologies to Lefty, the Phillies are the first team officially eliminated.  29 teams left.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

With apologies to Lefty, the Phillies are the first team officially eliminated.  29 teams left.

It certainly took them long enough!  Now it's time for the main goal -- get the first overall draft pick next year (which they will probably screw up anyway, either with the choice itself or letting the Giants and White Sox overtake -- or undertake -- them in the overall standings).

Offline Tony Bensley

Admittedly, I haven't been following the MLB standings as closely this year, as I've had other distractions.

Of course, the Toronto Blue Jays have dropped out of sight this year, which given the off season hits they took, came as no surprise!

As metaladams mentioned in a previous post, the Yankees STILL refuse to die, and are currently just 3 back of Boston.  Again, no real surprise given their history!

I can't let Cleveland's 22 consecutive wins go without mention, so I've mentioned it! ;)

Speaking of Cleveland, could there be another Indians Vs. Cubs World Series match up in the offing?  The Chicago Nats were pretty sluggish in the first half, but in the second half seem to be getting the victories when they need them, at present.  The formerly on fire LA Dodgers have been pretty cold, as of late.  Or will the Houston Astros finally win a World Series?  Could Minnesota, Arizona, or the Milwaukee Brew Crew pull an 11th hour surprise upset in gaining a World Series Berth? Will the Washington Nats FINALLY win a postseason series?

For this, and other late MLB season/post season developments, stay tuned!  ;D

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

As I type this the only thing not settled yet is World Series home advantage, and with Cleveland losing 2 - 1 at the moment, that could be settled shortly.  We've had some exciting game 162 days over the years, but tomorrow shall be meaningless baseball.

Glad the Red Sox held on to the division, was thinking they'd blow it.  Don't think they'll go far in the playoffs, and while I'm rooting for Boston, really, anybody but New York!  Hopefully The Yanks will have that true rebuild year they've been threatening sometime in my adult life.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

For me, even worse than the Blue Jays dropping out of post season contention this year, is the Yankees securing a Wildcard spot - AAUGH!  :P

Offline metaldams

For me, even worse than the Blue Jays dropping out of post season contention this year, is the Yankees securing a Wildcard spot - AAUGH!  :P

Agreed!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

The good news is, St. Louis did not make the playoffs.  The bad news is, NYY did, and the Phillies did not get the top overall draft pick next year -- but they would probably blow it regardless.

Predictions for the post-season, based on what I do NOT want to see but will probably be rigged to happen anyway:
ALCS:  Yankees beat Red Sox.
NLCS:  Dodgers beat Cubs.
World Series:  MLB and the networks get what they want, Yankees over Dodgers in 7 games.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Regular season finally done & the field is as wide open as ever. Probably don't have a favorite in either league, but the Dodgers might match up well with whoever wins the AL pennant--or even the Cubs.

Offline Apalmopsy

Every year, I get my hopes up for the Mariners and every year I'm disappointed.

Offline Tony Bensley

I'm very disappointed, but not at all surprised that the Yankees won the Wild Card game!  With their solid bullpen and Aroldis Chapman closing for them, they could win the World Series, I fear, especially if their starters and offense can keep the scores close!  :-*

Of course, I hope that I'm proven wrong!  What is it with Yankee players named Aaron that tend to spoil things for opposing teams, anyway? ::)

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

And this year, it appears to be more of the same with Clayton Kershaw coming off the DL yet again!  ::)

Of course, the Red Sox ultimately hung onto their division lead, but these days, it just doesn't mean as much with the two Wild Card spots in each league.

Don't ask me why, and it's the LAST scenario that I want to see play out, but my gut tells me the NY Yankees are going all the way this year!  They may not be THE team that's considered among the prognosticators favorites, but that the Yankees seem to have largely been overlooked makes them even more dangerous, in my opinion!

We'll just have to wait and see!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Lets see, Houston vs. Boston, Sale and Verlander--can't decide which way to go on that one. If Cleveland doesn't make short work of the Yanks, I would be surprised.

World Series or Bust for the Dodgers, but would the Cubs still be America's darlings if they made it back to the big dance?

Offline Tony Bensley

Lets see, Houston vs. Boston, Sale and Verlander--can't decide which way to go on that one. If Cleveland doesn't make short work of the Yanks, I would be surprised.

World Series or Bust for the Dodgers, but would the Cubs still be America's darlings if they made it back to the big dance?
Should the Cubs make it, expect their previous back to back championships to be a significant part of the narrative.

Hopefully, Cleveland can make quick work of the Yankees?  I still have a weird feeling about it, though!

Boston and Houston?  That could be a toss up, though I give the Red Sox a slight edge over the Astros purely due to their history.

CHEERS! [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Houston likely going to 2-0, but I wouldn't throw dirt on Boston, yet...

So far most of these games are over before the 7th. Makes me wonder about the ratings?

Offline Tony Bensley

Houston likely going to 2-0, but I wouldn't throw dirt on Boston, yet...

So far most of these games are over before the 7th. Makes me wonder about the ratings?
Not in Cleveland, it wasn't!  I suspect that Yankee fans want Girardi's head on a platter after he failed to challenge what should have been strike 3 to end the 6th with an 8 - 3 Yankee lead instead of well.... ;D

Bottom line; the Tribe indeed has a chance to make quick work of the Bronx Bombers.  Game 3 is on Sunday at New Yankee Stadium. (At least, I think it's still called that?)

I suspect the Cubs (Who won Game 1 in shutout fashion!) will also make quick work of the Nats because well, they're the Nats, and folding in the post season is what they do!

CHEERS!  [pie]