Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2016 MLB Thread....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Toronto, still alive--for one more game, anyway...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Tony Bensley

Toronto, still alive--for one more game, anyway...
And the Cubs are 2 losses away from extending their drought another year!  Honestly, blanked twice in a row?  Not good! :P

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, it's only conjecture on my part--but apart from Cubs/Red Sox, I have to think the brass at MLB headquarters would want Cubs/Indians. Or maybe Cubs vs. anybody in the World Series as a potential big ratings draw.

I think I can hear Cubs Nation having a collective heart attack right now...

:D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, it's only conjecture on my part--but apart from Cubs/Red Sox, I have to think the brass at MLB headquarters would want Cubs/Indians. Or maybe Cubs vs. anybody in the World Series as a potential big ratings draw.
Tell it to the Dodgers! ;)

Offline Tony Bensley

The Blue Jays have just been eliminated in yet another shutout! :(

Offline Tony Bensley

Of course tonight, the Cubs explode with no less than 10 runs (It's the Bottom of the 8th, as I type this!), and NONE of our stations are carrying the broadcast!  Yet, Sportsnet IS carrying tomorrow night's game!  I guess early season NHL games take priority over non Blue Jays LCS games!  :P

I'll edit this post once the game's over!

EDIT:  Final score: Cubs 10, Dodgers 2.  Whatever happens tomorrow, the series is guaranteed to go back to Wrigley Field, at which game 6 will play Saturday, weather and normal circumstances (Hey, one never knows, these days!) permitting, of course!

Too bad the Blue Jays bats didn't come alive like those of the Cubs in their last game!  Poor Estrada literally got ZERO run support in BOTH of his outings!  He deserved way better than that!  :P

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

And--the question that seems to come up a lot over the last several years--now that Cleveland has knocked out Toronto, how many days will they have to sit around and wait while the Cubs and Dodgers slug it out.

We've seen this many times before, where a team has to sit for almost a week before the World Series and they never seem to get back on track...

Offline Tony Bensley

And--the question that seems to come up a lot over the last several years--now that Cleveland has knocked out Toronto, how many days will they have to sit around and wait while the Cubs and Dodgers slug it out.

We've seen this many times before, where a team has to sit for almost a week before the World Series and they never seem to get back on track...
It didn't seem to be a problem for Cleveland, who had previously swept the Red Sox.  The Blue Jays, on the other hand....

Either way, the World Series is scheduled to start in Cleveland this coming Tuesday.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Who knew that after getting blanked for the 2nd straight time in Game 3 at LA that the Cubs would explode and take 2 out of 3 at Chavez Ravine?  :D

Now, the Chicago Cubs just need one more victory to meet Cleveland in a 1908 vs 1948 World Series match up!  Of course, Chicago still needs to get past Clayton Kershaw, and I expect him to be tough!  The skinny is he could also pitch relief in a potential Game 7 at Wrigley Field. 

One other thing to watch out for - Cubs spark plug Javier Baez was limping after his 8th inning base running indecision, although he did stay in the game.  He seems to be the player that gets things happening for the team offensively.  Javier's stealing home in Game 1 was just badass! [cool]

And perhaps one more for the superstitious lot - The Cubs won both Lester starts by an 8 - 4 margin.  Could there be consecutive shutouts to end what has been an illustrious run for them, thus far?  ::)

Game 6 is scheduled for 7 PM Chicago time, at Wrigley!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Let's see if the Cubs solve Kershaw finally!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

Let's see if the Cubs solve Kershaw finally!
I'd love to see that!  We'll see what happens tomorrow night.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline TTS#1

Hi everyone, hope you're all well. The last time I posted on this forum was about 2-3 years ago and since I remember this forum had a Baseball thread I decided to come back and say hello. I remember my old login but not the password, so I went to the "Forgot Password" tab and of course my old account is linked to an email address of mine that I know longer know and definitely don't use anymore, hence the new account.

Anyway, onto the Baseball: I am so proud of the Cubs being one win away from a World Series appearance. I live in Australia and took a keen interest in North American Sports. I've been a Chicago Bulls supporter since the Michael Jordan days and in the mid-2000s decided to start following Baseball, Hockey and Football and kept my fanship all within one City, so I support the Cubs, Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Bears. I have supported the Cubs for about 10 years, so I haven't experienced all the hardships of this ballclub. I've watched the Cubs play all year on MLB.TV and the way they've performed the last 2 games in LA (especially the play of Javier Baez to name just one player) should be no surprise to anyone.

Offline Tony Bensley

Hi everyone, hope you're all well. The last time I posted on this forum was about 2-3 years ago and since I remember this forum had a Baseball thread I decided to come back and say hello. I remember my old login but not the password, so I went to the "Forgot Password" tab and of course my old account is linked to an email address of mine that I know longer know and definitely don't use anymore, hence the new account.

Anyway, onto the Baseball: I am so proud of the Cubs being one win away from a World Series appearance. I live in Australia and took a keen interest in North American Sports. I've been a Chicago Bulls supporter since the Michael Jordan days and in the mid-2000s decided to start following Baseball, Hockey and Football and kept my fanship all within one City, so I support the Cubs, Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Bears. I have supported the Cubs for about 10 years, so I haven't experienced all the hardships of this ballclub. I've watched the Cubs play all year on MLB.TV and the way they've performed the last 2 games in LA (especially the play of Javier Baez to name just one player) should be no surprise to anyone.
Welcome back, TTS#1!

CHEERS! :)

Offline Lefty

The Cubs last won the NL pennant in 1945, a fact sometimes lost in the "1908" shuffle.  I'm sure that the three current Dodgers who were members of the 2008 "WFC" Phillies, Chutley, Chooch, and Fat Joe, would not want to make inglorious history tonight or tomorrow night.

Offline Tony Bensley

The Cubs last won the NL pennant in 1945, a fact sometimes lost in the "1908" shuffle.  I'm sure that the three current Dodgers who were members of the 2008 "WFC" Phillies, Chutley, Chooch, and Fat Joe, would not want to make inglorious history tonight or tomorrow night.
That fact isn't lost on me; nor is the fact that the Dodgers scheduled game 6 and 7 starters blanked the Cubs in games 2 and 3.

Javier Baez, who has been a huge spark plug for the Cubs, might also be a question mark after he came up limping following his base running backtracking in the 8th inning Thursday night.  He did stay in the game, and nothing else seems to have been said, so this falls under "wait and see," I suppose!

This NLCS is far from over.  It should be a great game tonight!

EDIT:  I've since read an article in which Javier says that he's fine! [cool]

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline TTS#1

Joe Maddon has announced his team for Game 6

Fowler CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Zobrist LF
Baez 2B
Contreras C
Russell SS
Almora RF
Hendricks P

I like that team the most out of any Joe could have picked. Javy plays which is tremendous news, Contreras catches and Almora Jr plays in RF to replace the very cold Heyward, who at this stage shouldn't be trusted to hit a beach ball.

Offline Tony Bensley

Joe Maddon has announced his team for Game 6

Fowler CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Zobrist LF
Baez 2B
Contreras C
Russell SS
Almora RF
Hendricks P

I like that team the most out of any Joe could have picked. Javy plays which is tremendous news, Contreras catches and Almora Jr plays in RF to replace the very cold Heyward, who at this stage shouldn't be trusted to hit a beach ball.

Hopefully, the Cubs can find a way to solve Kershaw! :-\

With fair weather in the forecast at Wrigley, we should find out in the next several hours!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline TTS#1

Hopefully, the Cubs can find a way to solve Kershaw! :-\

With fair weather in the forecast at Wrigley, we should find out in the next several hours!

CHEERS!  [pie]

I am nervous about the game. Kershaw is an amazing pitcher but hopefully the Cubs can solve him today and avoid a Game 7 with Rich Hill on the mound and the possibility of Kershaw in a late inning relief appearance

Offline Tony Bensley

I am nervous about the game. Kershaw is an amazing pitcher but hopefully the Cubs can solve him today and avoid a Game 7 with Rich Hill on the mound and the possibility of Kershaw in a late inning relief appearance
At this point, my main concerns are that Kershaw and Hill have both blanked the Cubs in this series, thus far!  Add to that, a struggling (Of late!) Arrieta slated to pitch game 7 (If necessary!) for the Cubs, only adds to the anxiety!  :P

That said, I agree that Joe Maddon has tweaked tonight's lineup in all the right spots!  While Zobrist and Heyward have both struggled offensively, at least Zobrist has come through in the clutch a few times in these playoffs, whereas Heyward has pretty much been an offensive dud, as of late!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

***********************************CUBS WIN THE PENNANT!!!!!!!***********************************

CHEERS!!!!!!!  [3stooges]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Cubs/Indians--should be a great one...  [cool]

Offline metaldams

What an awesome World Series.  As a pre 2004 Red Sox fan, I know what it's like to root for a team in a drought.  This year, the two worst droughts face off.  Also, Lester, Lackey, Ross, and Theo vs. Coco, Napoli, Miller, and Tito.  About as interesting a World Series it can be for the Red Sox fan without actually being in it.  Having three recent championships and a division win, I cannot complain.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline TTS#1

I am so happy right now. Clinched our first Pennant in 71 years. I am not sure what the rules are in regards to posting videos but if I may post this one. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPaACIEnQMg

Offline JazzBill

Thanks Boston. We wouldn't be here without you.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I wonder what Garfield thinks of this...
#1 fire kibitzer