Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2016 MLB Thread....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, I thought it about time we start the new baseball thread--already a lot of wheeling and dealing being done in the offseason. Metal, do you have any musings on the contract the Red Sox gave to David Price...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

As far as Price, I'll worry about the 7th year later, glad to have him now!  Happy about Kimbrel too.

But the Yankees with Miller, Betances and Chapman.....shit.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

"For it's one, two, three strikes you're out of the old ball game!"  Yes, it's an ever-so-slight variation on the song, but it's time to say "Adios" to Jennry "The Third" (as opposed to VIII) Mejia.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Chico!  It should be interesting at work on Tuesday when I ask the Mets' fans what they think of their favorite team's closer supposedly* getting kicked out of MLB for good.

* I would not be surprised if the players union would pull something to get him off the hook after a while, and playing for a New York team might be in his favor with arbitrators or in lawsuits.  Right A-Fraud?  Right.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Speaking as a Mets fan, I would say if Mejia was stupid enough to keep getting busted, he deserves whatever MLB dishes out.

Besides, Familia was very solid as the closer last season--don't see any reasons why he shouldn't do well in the upcoming season....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Speaking as a Mets fan, I would say if Mejia was stupid enough to keep getting busted, he deserves whatever MLB dishes out.

Besides, Familia was very solid as the closer last season--don't see any reasons why he shouldn't do well in the upcoming season....

1.  Had Mejia been a Yankee, he probably wouldn't have been tested more than once, if that.

2.  Familia did well last year, but closers are a fickle breed these days.

3.  Last year, the Phillies and Mets had 5 of their 6 series during the week, so this year it's 5 out of 6 on the weekends, including what seems to be the Mets' 20th home opener against the Phillies.

4.  I predict the Phillies to be better than last year's 99-loss team.  They will lose 97 instead.

Offline metaldams

Didn't Familia blow three saves in the World Series?  Makes Buckner look like Bumgardner.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

To (dis)honor the Mets' ex-closer:

I'm Jenrry the III I am,
Jenrry the III I am, I am.
I can't pitch in MLB anymore,
'Cause I flunked the drug test thrice before.

Say "Adios" to old Jenrry, "Jenrry!"
I cannot pitch in the big leagues again.
I'm Three Strikes You're Out, I'm Jenrry,
Jenrry the III I am, I am,
Jenrry the III I am!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There is a big part of me that wishes both BOS and NYY would stop trying to buy the pennant and build from the ground up, but I also understand it makes no business sense for them to do that. I watched very little baseball last season and I expect to watch even less this season. Now if you'll excuse me I think I'll return to my crypt and continue my eternal slumber.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

Watch out for the Cubs this year. They have a nice mixture of home grown and free agent talent. But then again they are the Chicago Cubs, a team that hasn't won a World Series in over a hundred years.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

There is a big part of me that wishes both BOS and NYY would stop trying to buy the pennant and build from the ground up, but I also understand it makes no business sense for them to do that. I watched very little baseball last season and I expect to watch even less this season. Now if you'll excuse me I think I'll return to my crypt and continue my eternal slumber.

Good to hear from you Jim, whether it's a cameo or not.  Hope you're well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Watch out for the Cubs this year. They have a nice mixture of home grown and free agent talent. But then again they are the Chicago Cubs, a team that hasn't won a World Series in over a hundred years.
Here's a few dubious Cubs stats to ponder:

The only non expansion MLB Team (Including original franchises that have relocated, such as the Giants, who have won a few World Championships, recently!) to have not made a World Series appearance within the last 50 years!  For a little perspective, among the MLB expansion teams, the Seattle Mariners (Formed 1977) have gone the longest without appearing in the World Series, at 38 years and counting.

In the now over 70 years since the Chicago Cubs last WS appearance (1945), people have lived out just about average (for the western world) human life spans. If they really cared, David Bowie  (1947-2016) and Glenn Frey (1948-2016) were never alive when the Chicago Cubs were in a current (for them) World Series.

In my opinion, that is just sad!  Perhaps the 2016 edition can finally break that trend?

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline metaldams

Here's a few dubious Cubs stats to ponder:

The only non expansion MLB Team (Including original franchises that have relocated, such as the Giants, who have won a few World Championships, recently!) to have not made a World Series appearance within the last 50 years!  For a little perspective, among the MLB expansion teams, the Seattle Mariners (Formed 1977) have gone the longest without appearing in the World Series, at 38 years and counting.

In the now over 70 years since the Chicago Cubs last WS appearance (1945), people have lived out just about average (for the western world) human life spans. If they really cared, David Bowie  (1947-2016) and Glenn Frey (1948-2016) were never alive when the Chicago Cubs were in a current (for them) World Series.

In my opinion, that is just sad!  Perhaps the 2016 edition can finally break that trend?

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

My grandfather, 1923 - 1993, was a life long Red Sox fan, never saw them win.  Me, born in 1978, have seen The Red Sox win three times.  Unthinkable when I was a child.  As dire as things look for Cubs fans, things can change quickly.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm just wondering how the Cubs will do this year now that there are "expectations." I might even go so far as saying they are no longer the "lovable losers," but now a team with possible "World Series" aspirations--that is, if my Mets don't get in their way.

;)

Offline Tony Bensley

My grandfather, 1923 - 1993, was a life long Red Sox fan, never saw them win.  Me, born in 1978, have seen The Red Sox win three times.  Unthinkable when I was a child.  As dire as things look for Cubs fans, things can change quickly.
True, although at least your grandfather did see the Red Sox make it to the World Series 4 times (1946; 1967; 1975 and 1986) in his lifetime.  Interesting that his lifespan roughly equals that of the Cubs current World Series appearance drought of 70 years and counting!

But as you say, things can change quickly.  Time will tell.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
So, Ruin Tomorrow Jr. or no, is the Phillies' loss on Opening Day sign of suckiness to come, or is it just rust from years of suckiness?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Does anybody else play Beat the Streak on mlb.com?  Choose a player who gets a hit that day, your steak continues.  Get 57 and beat DiMaggio, you win 5.6 million dollars.  You can choose two players a day if you want, and I have a six game streak going.  This game has been going on for years, I don't think anyone has ever won.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
So, how will the Phillies fare on this "120th" anniversary of Lefty's birth?  ;D
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

So, how will the Phillies fare on this "120th" anniversary of Lefty's birth?  ;D

Starting with a doubleheader split against the Giants in the Polo Grounds on Lefty's chronological date of birth (half of the physical age), the Phillies are 23-27, with 3 straight losses, and have been outscored 201-197.  This will be their first Interleague game on April 29th.  Naturally I want them to win, but they will have to do it without facing Papelbum.   [cry]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Happy B-day Lefty...

Offline Lefty

Happy B-day Lefty...

Thank you, Shemp_Diesel!

Well, our beloved Phillies came through last night, beating Cleveland 4-3 in 11 innings on a home run by Ryan "Curly" Howard.  I got home from bowling (a 653 series) to watch them blow an opportunity to win in the 10th, all the while talking with my brother who lives in Cah-lee-forn-ya.  I decided to call it a night after that, so naturally the Phillies won.  On that basis they should win 4-5 games a week.   ::)

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead

Offline Lefty

How about them Phillies?

I think that the vast majority of us Phillies' fans don't want to wake up from this dream.  (Same for the Cubs' fans probably.)  The Phillies are presently a wild-card team, and the Yankees are in last place.  "Hard to believe, Harry!"

Offline Tony Bensley

I admit to not having followed the MLB Standings very closely at all.

Both Chicago Ball Clubs are currently topping their respective Leagues!  Say Wha?!!?

The Toronto Blue Jays appear to be bouncing back from their early season doldrums, at least somewhat.

The NY Yankees in last place of their division?  I'd say they're going through a period of transition, and can never really be ruled out.

Boston's off season deals appear to have paid off, if their current 22-14 record is any indication.

Once again, Washington is jockeying for top spot in their division.  Will they succeed this time around, or will they implode, just like last season?

Last year's World Series Champion KC seems to be struggling at present.

That's all I've got.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

White Sox may be the surprise team of MLB so far. I wonder if the country would be excited for an "All Chicago" World Series?

???