Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who's the Mystery Actor?

Svengarlic · 361 · 82506

Offline Svengarlic

Here's a photo of a young man who will soon turn actor who had just received an Olympic Medal. (and that's your only clue)
This one is to easy for me. He's one of my heroes.  ;)

Offline Svengarlic

I recognize this man, he was in Scarface, Prizzi's Honor, and (since I had just seen this one this week on DVD) ... Independence Day.
Robert Loggia
Of course. Don't forget Big, the Tom Hanks fantasy. I first became aware of Logia as a kid when he starred in T.H.C Cat on ABC on Friday nights. That lineup included Star Trek and The Wild,Wild West. My favorite night for TV back then.

But my favorite Logia role was in Innocent Blood (1992) That movie had to have been the inspiration for From Dusk 'Till Dawn, written by Quinton Tarentino, who combined gangsters with vampires.

Logia, being bitten by the sexy French vampiress

The idea of a mob boss becoming a vampire was quite a hoot, and leave it to Director John Landis to exploit the idea. The movie made no splash at the box office, but it was highly entertaining for me, a horror and gangster film nut. Like An American Werewolf in London, there were laughs, but Blood delivered twice the black humor. I HIGHLY recommend it!

The mob boss taking a bite outa' crime from his consiglieri, played by Don Rickles

I spotted several henchmen that went on to roles on the Soprano's. Always a kick for me. And the sexy vampire who preferred slaughtering bad guys to innocent's may have influenced the creators of Showtime's Dexter. Who knows?

Offline Svengarlic

Here's a photo of a young man who will soon turn actor who had just received an Olympic Medal. (and that's your only clue)
A bump in case Signor overlooked this one by Fill-em.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I leave you guys alone for a few minutes, and what happens? - - lots!  :)

I see Robert Loggia was identified fast by you, GMDF.  Good job!  I always enjoy seeing him act.  He's among those I like because I enjoy watching true professionals and not just people who recite their lines and hit their marks.  I never heard of "Innocent Blood."  Looks unusual.  Now as for the movie still with RL and Paul Newman - - is that from "Exodus?"

Thank you for the bump of the second photo, Sven.  I'll just ask if anyone is feeling a little Crabbe-y today.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
If you are implying, Italian Ice Cream Man, that this is a photo of Buster Crabbe, guess again.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Svengarlic

I leave you guys alone for a few minutes, and what happens? - - lots!  :)

I see Robert Loggia was identified fast by you, GMDF.  Good job!  I always enjoy seeing him act.  He's among those I like because I enjoy watching true professionals and not just people who recite their lines and hit their marks.  I never heard of "Innocent Blood."  Looks unusual.  Now as for the movie still with RL and Paul Newman - - is that from "Exodus?"

Thank you for the bump of the second photo, Sven.  I'll just ask if anyone is feeling a little Crabbe-y today.
Brother, you're in the ballpark with your Crabby guess, but it's not Busting! Give it a closer look.

The still is from Newman's bust out role in Somebody Up There Likes Me.

Offline Svengarlic

While the Dago Dessert chews on the swimmer, have a look at this series of photos on a well known movie and TV star. By the time you get to the 4th image, you should have her.

ONE

Was she beautiful or what?

TWO

Three

FOUR

And FIVE, the reveal shot.

Did anyone get her on THREE or better?

Offline Signor Spumoni

I know who it is, and I got her in one.  It helped that I read her autobiography last winter, and it had lots of photos.  Did you know Mabel Albertson was her ex-mother-in-law?  And it's only a myth that one of her character's names meant glue.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thank you for telling me the movie was "Somebody Up There Likes Me."  I don't recall seeing that available on TV, at least not within recent memory. 

So, I busted up my guess on Mr. Crabbe, eh?  I'll have to try again.

It's later than when I posted above.  Well, after searching the extensive storehouse of show-biz knowledge contained in my genius brain, I have to say that the name of the Olympian who went into acting is...I have no idea.  I used the only name I knew which fit the description. I don't recognize the face after my usual staring and thinking, either.  So much for my genius brain.   :laugh:

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
A bump in case Signor overlooked this one by Fill-em.

Johnny Weissmuller is listed in our Cast Database at ThreeStooges.net.  He appeared in two 1934 SCREEN SNAPSHOTS one-reelers with the Stooges, but did not share a scene with them.

But... There are three actors who are also known for playing 'Tarzan,' and did indeed work onscreen with the Three Stooges in the Columbia shorts. 

Anyone care to name those three Lords of the Jungle?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Did you know Mabel Albertson was her ex-mother-in-law?

Cloris and Mabel remained close, lifelong friends.  Although Cloris' prolific film/TV credits don't reflect, Ms. Leachman took a sabbatical from acting to assist/nurse Mabel at the end of her life as she suffered from Alzheimer's.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Elmo Lincoln, the silent screen Tarzan, was one. 

That really is you with Angie Dickinson, and now with Cloris Leachman, BAS!  How neat!  You must go to all the meet & greets, or you work in the business.

Thanks to all who participate in this thread.  I have a lot of fun whether I know who it is or not.  :)

Offline Svengarlic

That really is you with Angie Dickinson, and now with Cloris Leachman, BAS!  How neat!  You must go to all the meet & greets, or you work in the business.

Thanks to all who participate in this thread.  I have a lot of fun whether I know who it is or not.  :)
This should stir your memory: "I'm ridin'!"

Offline Svengarlic

I know who it is, and I got her in one.  It helped that I read her autobiography last winter, and it had lots of photos.  Did you know Mabel Albertson was her ex-mother-in-law?  And it's only a myth that one of her character's names meant glue.
I don't know who she is.  :-\

Offline Signor Spumoni

This should stir your memory: "I'm ridin'!"

Oh, Jock O'Mahoney!  He's another Tarzan, then.  Excellent clue!

Mabel Albertson http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0016781/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm
Depending on your age and viewing habits, you may remember her as the mothers of Howard Sprague ("The Andy Griffith Show"), Donald Hollinger ("That Girl") and Darrin Stephens ("Bewitched.")

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Jock O'Mahoney!  He's another Tarzan, then. 

One left.  He appeared in 4 shorts; 5, if you count stock footage.  Of the 4, in one he had two roles.

Offline Svengarlic

One left.  He appeared in 4 shorts; 5, if you count stock footage.  Of the 4, in one he had two roles.
I only saw one full length Stooge movie (that was enough) Maybe Lex Barker was in some of them?

Hey Signor! You would have saved me some rooting around time if you had put up a picture of this old broad that was in damn near everything in the seventies!  [pie]

Offline Svengarlic

After much thought I remembered an awful old movie that I saw once mucho years back. The guy that played him had a crazy yell that sounded to me like "Oh Man-ya-niiii" I could never forget it, but no way could I remember his name.  A search revealed that actor to be another former Olympic medalist (decathlon) by the name of Glenn Morris.

Was he the final Tarzan?

The chick is Eleanore Holm, also an Olympic medalist (swimming) that was very popular in 1938.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
another former Olympic medalist (decathlon) by the name of Glenn Morris.

Was he the final Tarzan?

No.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Signor Spumoni

The 3 supporting actors who played 'Tarzan' are...

I admit I'm glad I gave up trying to figure this one out; I never heard of Bruce Bennett, although I vaguely recall Herman Brix.  I sat up late trying to picture Stooges characters who looked likely to have played Tarzan.  Thank you, BAS.  This was great!

Sven, I saw that movie too, although I forgot all about it till you described that distinctive yell.  I remember thinking, "What did he say?" Do you know the name of that film?

Offline Svengarlic

I admit I'm glad I gave up trying to figure this one out; I never heard of Bruce Bennett, although I vaguely recall Herman Brix.  I sat up late trying to picture Stooges characters who looked likely to have played Tarzan.  Thank you, BAS.  This was great!

Sven, I saw that movie too, although I forgot all about it till you described that distinctive yell.  I remember thinking, "What did he say?" Do you know the name of that film?

Yes, I do.

Check out those fancy leopard shoes! I recognize that Character actor with the gun from the old Rin-Tin-Tin TV show, among maaaany other roles. I never new his name

I totally forgot about Bruce Bennet. I wonder which episode he was in?

Offline Svengarlic

Sig,you certainly have seen Bruce Bennet in a few movies. I remember him best from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. He played the interloper that wanted to join the three prospectors but was killed by Senor "We don't need no stinking badges!" after they decided to kill him themselves.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I wonder which episode he was in?

If you take a second or two to look at my reply, you will see that it has a link to Bennett's Stooge-filmography in this website's Cast Database.

And, he starred as 'Tarzan' in THE NEW ADVENTURES OF TARZAN (1935), an independent production done with the cooperation of the Burroughs Estate.  Unlike the MGM and RKO films, it was generally faithful to ERB's stories, depicting him as the well-educated 'Lord Greystoke.'