Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

About silent comedians

Poll

Who of these two silent comedian you think is the funniest?

Charlie Chaplin
1 (12.5%)
Buster Keaton
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Offline boom boom stooge

• Grapehead
  • nyuk,nyuk,nyuk. grrrr woof,woof.
just a question that i have a long time ago. Who is the best silent comedian? I'll like some opinions or commentaries about what you guys think of these two master minds of silent comedy. :P ??? ;D ;)
hey, what's the idea!

Offline Curly Q. Link

What, no Harold Lloyd?  ???

Anyway, out of the two in the poll I'd have to go with Keaton.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Same here.  I'm also surprised that you left Harold Loyd out of the lineup, although I would still have voted for Buster.

For that matter, what about Harold Zoidberg?   [rotflmao]

Jimmie Adams

For me, picking a favorite silent comedian is like picking a favorite child.  I just can't do it.  I like many for different reasons.  Hey, howcome Zip Momberg isn't in the poll?    ::)

Offline boom boom stooge

• Grapehead
  • nyuk,nyuk,nyuk. grrrr woof,woof.
Well im sorry about the comedians not mentioned here . I just put the two most recognisable icons of silent movies (at least for me they are).
For me, picking a favorite silent comedian is like picking a favorite child. I just can't do it.
That' is my probem also and that's why i post the poll. ;)
hey, what's the idea!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Same here.  I'm also surprised that you left Harold Lloyd out of the lineup, although I would still have voted for Buster.

And what about Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy?  They're usually associated with the sound era, but some of their funniest and best films were produced in the silents' final years of 1927 - 1929...

BACON GRABBERS (1929)
BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1928)
BIG BUSINESS (1929)
DOUBLE WHOOPEE (1929)
THE FINISHING TOUCH (1928)
HABEAS CORPUS (1928)
LEAVE 'EM LAUGHING (1928)
LIBERTY (1929)
PUTTING PANTS ON PHILIP (1927)
SHOULD MARRIED MEN GO HOME? (1928)
THEIR PURPLE MOMENT (1928)
TWO TARS (1928)
WE FAW DOWN (1928)
WRONG AGAIN (1929)
YOU'RE DARN TOOTIN' (1928)

Pilsner Panther

I've got to agree with BeAStooge here. If you've never seen any Laurel & Hardy silents, you're really missing something. I'd put "Liberty," "Double Whoopee" "Their Purple Moment" and the incomplete "Battle of the Century" at the top of the list of their best silent work. Stan Laurel made some very funny silents on his own, too, before Hal Roach teamed him with Babe Hardy. His "Oranges and Lemons" is full of wild physical comedy in a fruit-packing plant, and "Dr. Pickle and Mr. Pryde" is a great spoof of the Jekyll and Hyde story, with, of course, Stan playing both parts.

It's a toss-up for me between Keaton and Lloyd, but I'd give Buster a slight edge because of his superhuman acrobatic skills. There's an amazing stunt he does in a couple of his films where he puts one leg up on a table, and then, impossibly, puts the other leg up, and seems to hang in the air for a moment before he falls on his rear. In "Coney Island" with Fatty Arbuckle, he does a full somersault from a standing start, flipping over backwards and landing firmly on his feet. If I hadn't seen him do it with my own eyes, I'd say that nobody could have pulled that off.

I saw a Max Linder film recently ("Seven Years Bad Luck"), and I really liked it. He's not as well-known as any of the above silent comics, but he deserves to be rediscovered. It's hard to explain what he does, but his gags have a kind of flow and inevitable logic to them, with one leading seamlessly into the next.

And let's not forget Harpo Marx; he certainly qualifies as one of the great silent comedians, even though he only appeared in sound films. His tormenting of a fuming Edgar Kennedy in "Duck Soup" is absolutely classic.

;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 09:07:42 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Baggie

I'd definately agree with Pils there. I was never a big fan of Chaplin or Keaton, although I have never seen any Harold Lloyd stuff, am I missing out? I think Chaplin and Keaton are OK, I love City Lights, but to me personally Harpo Marx was the best. I can't even explain why he's so great, he just is!  ;D
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Jimmie Adams

Harpo Marx was the truest clown of any film comedian from any era.  When I watch him I still feel like a kid watching in awe a clown at the circus.  That is probably why I don't like Groucho as much as other people.  He seemed to me to be someone to endure until Harpo came on.

I have a stereo recording of Harpo playing his harp and it moves me everytime.

Technically Harpo was a silent era comedian.  He was in the now lost Dick Smith comedy HUMORISK, and in a Richard Dix film TOO MANY KISSES where he actually speaks a line via title card.

Offline CurlySteve

I wonder what it would be like if stooges made a silent film in 1928.No talking but totaly bonks n falls   ;D

Jimmie Adams

1928 wouldn't have been a good year for the Stooges to enter silent movies unless they signed with Hal Roach.
Sennett was making "young and normal looking people comedies".
Fox switched to sound in '28
Educational was in a decline in 1928.  If the Stooges had signed there then, they would have been most likely been placed in 1 reel Cameo comedies directed by Jules White.

Offline FineBari3

I'd definately agree with Pils there. I was never a big fan of Chaplin or Keaton, although I have never seen any Harold Lloyd stuff, am I missing out? I think Chaplin and Keaton are OK, I love City Lights, but to me personally Harpo Marx was the best. I can't even explain why he's so great, he just is!  ;D

Boy, are you missing out, Baggie!!!!

Harold Lloyd was certainly as good as Chaplin or Keaton. There was just a large collection of his works released on DVD. Since you live in the UK, I guess you do not get the Turner Movie Classics channel. They usually show Harold Lloyd stuff about once a year.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline CurlySteve

1928 wouldn't have been a good year for the Stooges to enter silent movies unless they signed with Hal Roach.
Sennett was making "young and normal looking people comedies".
Fox switched to sound in '28
Educational was in a decline in 1928.  If the Stooges had signed there then, they would have been most likely been placed in 1 reel Cameo comedies directed by Jules White.

How old were moe,Larry and Curly in 1928? I bet if they signed with Hal Roach in 1927 they would been very popluar and they would outrun laurel & Hardy.Id love to see in 1927 stooges try out for the New York Yankees.Boy! Babe Ruth would been pissed plus Joe McCarthy would wind up calling security throwing those clowns right out of yankee stadium. ;D

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Well let's see ... Moe was born 1897, Larry in 1902 and Curly in 1903. That would make them approximately 30, 25 and 24 respectively in 1927. However, in 1927 the team would've more likely been Moe, Larry and Shemp, and the ages then would've been 30, 25 and 32.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Guada

Do you believe that Marion Davies may be considered as a silent comedian? She had a funny acting in Show People.

Offline FineBari3

Oh, yes. She has been considered a silent comedian for quite sometime. I cant remember her name, but she was partnered with another woman.

They were 'kooky' type of film pair...like Lucy and Ethel, I guess.

Anybody else out there on this one?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Ringworm

Offline metaldams

The more Harold Lloyd I watch, the more I love the guy's comedy.  His stunts were about as great as Keaton's, his stories as good as Chaplin's, and his character was the easiest to relate to.  I'd be really hard pressed to pick a favorite, but ask me today and I'll say Harold Lloyd.  Ask me next week and you'll get a different answer.

- Doug Sarnecky

Pilsner Panther

Hey there, Doug—welcome back, stranger!

8)

Keaton is still my favorite silent comic, but Lloyd is second and Arbuckle third with Chaplin a distant fourth. I'll put in a plug for the little-known Max Linder, too. His character (usually just called "Max") is a European "dandy" in a tuxedo and a top hat, who goes through all kinds of ridiculous situations while trying to maintain his well-dressed aplomb and dignity. Kind of the opposite of Chaplin's Tramp, really. Linder had a remarkable sense of flow, sort of like the Fleischer and Warner Bros. cartoon directors did, years later, or the best directors and writers for the Stooges. In his funniest films, nothing is ever "over the top," but you keep laughing continuously all the way through.

Offline metaldams

Hey Pilsner, if you like Max Linder, you should check out Raymond Griffith.  Admittedly, Griffith's film's are hard to come by, as most arelost andthe few that exist are lingering in the Paramount vaults.  However, there are decent bootlegs of HANDS UP! (1926) out there, and it's that "other" Civil War comedy from the late 20's (it's still not as good as THE GENERAL, but what is)?  Very funny, as it has Griffith, who looks very much like Max Linder, keeping his cool in the most absurd situations imaginable (facing a firing squad, for one).  The ending also has to be seen to be believed.

Other great silent clowns not mentioned in this thread (I don't think):

Harry Langdon:  Would love to see his two later silent features more than anything (there's a third that's lost), and though his naive, childlike character is an acquired taste, his pantomime is absolutely fascinating to watch.  Very methodical.

Larry Semon:  Most people only see the silent WIZARD OF OZ, which for the most part stinks, but some of his shorts from the early twenties, namely THE GROCERY CLERK and THE SAWMILL, contain some of the most hardcore slapstick stunts out there.  Films sort of known for having Oliver Hardy play the heavies in them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Jimmie Adams

I'd like to put in a plug for Poodles Hanneford.  The man was a real circus clown and worked for shorts studios during the winter months.  He made the only decent Weiss Bros. comedies I have ever seen.  Great, Great, Great!