Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any guitar players out there?

Guest · 9 · 2222

Offline JazzBill

If so,check this 14 yr old girl out.

"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I wouldn't say she's the only 14 year old in the world who can play "Eruption," but she's very good just the same.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

I'm a drummer....Wish I could be cool too.  [cry]

Seriously though, she's awesome!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline metaldams

She is incredibly good, but if I sound a little like I've seen it before, my brother was playing like that when he was 14 as well.  Still, she, like my brother, is very, very, good, and in this day and age, when most kids don't know what rock music is, it's refreshing to see a girl her age play guitar like that.

Here's my favorite vid of kids playing.  Nowhere near as talented as that girl, but they're 11 and I love the attitude.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I believe you have to be born with ability to play or learn to play at a level like that. I've had guitars for 45 years and never could get to a level like that. But then I had a friend when I was kid that could do a decent cover of Hendrix. I can only play bar cords or open D now because many years ago I got my hand caught in a fan belt while working on a semi truck. I have some fingers that don't bend or have any feeling in them. That girl has a lot of people looking at her. Shes had 4,277.980 hits in 6 days. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I believe you have to be born with ability to play or learn to play at a level like that. I've had guitars for 45 years and never could get to a level like that. But then I had a friend when I was kid that could do a decent cover of Hendrix. I can only play bar cords or open D now because many years ago I got my hand caught in a fan belt while working on a semi truck. I have some fingers that don't bend or have any feeling in them. That girl has a lot of people looking at her. Shes had 4,277.980 hits in 6 days.

Django Reindhardt only had two functional fingers on his fretting hand and he was very good.  This in turn inspired Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, who lost two fingertips on his fretting hand in a factory accident.  He simply made these wax/leather fingertips for himself, used a lighter string gauge, and tuned down the string, and he did just fine for himself.

You're right some people are just born with it.  I've been playing bass for twenty years, and while I'm a good player, there are levels of technical proficiency I'll never reach, and I'm OK with that.  Speaking of Black Sabbath, the best musical advice I ever received was in an interview with their drummer Bill Ward.  He said something to the effect that he doesn't focus on what he can't play, but only on what he can, and he builds from that.  Once I took that advice, I became a better player overnight and developed my own style.

My brother, like that girl, was playing technically proficient solos at 6 months of experience when he was 12.  He was born with technical proficiency.  But a lot of these guitar guys I know obsess over the fact they can't play like some monster like Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen, and I always try to remind them of that Bill Ward advice. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I am a guitar player.  By far, I'm not the best guitar player in the world.  I'm not Van Halen.  I'm not Hendrix.  But I have recorded and released my own albums.  You be the judge.

http://bryanharwell.bandcamp.com

(I know, shameless promotion.  If you feel this is inappropriate, I will remove the link.)

Offline metaldams

I am a guitar player.  By far, I'm not the best guitar player in the world.  I'm not Van Halen.  I'm not Hendrix.  But I have recorded and released my own albums.  You be the judge.

(I know, shameless promotion.  If you feel this is inappropriate, I will remove the link.)

You are banned for shameless promotion!  Ha!  Nah, just kidding bro.  I'll listen to your link this weekend and offer my opinion.

I play bass and feel like I am the best Metaldams style bass player in the world.  I know I posted this a while back, but for those who didn't see it, here's me and some friends playing a very unrehearsed version of "Fade to Black" from Metallica.  The lead guitar is my brother and this was taken in 2010 when my hair was much longer.  My brother kicks ass on this thing and you can hear my bass playing in the mix pretty well with headphones.  The girl cheering at the end is one our many groupies.  We had about twenty of them waiting to service each band member in a wild orgy once the song was over.  The drummer's mom was bringing down tons of cocaine for us.....but if you don't believe any of that, you can pretend it was the drummer's wife who was filming this.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I'm going to have "Serious Delerious (The Coffee Song)" playing when I walk into work Monday morning.  I like what I've heard.  Aren't you the guy who said he records in mono, because that sounded mono?  Nice job.
- Doug Sarnecky