Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2 RARE Original Stooges One Sheet Movie Posters

· 24 · 7719

kotumba

Please take a minute and follow these links to some remarkable auctions of this VERY RARE 3 STOOGES ONE SHEETS on ebay!!! A MUST FOR EVERY TRUE FAN! You won't regret it!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2321&item=3881008362&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
   and this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60331&item=3881008638&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW 

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Wow, I didn't know they were that rare - $5,000 minimum bid!

Yeah -  and for $5000 a piece, I'd want to see much better pictures of the items than those, too. [scratchchin]

Offline Operator13

Yeah I don't have so much money either  .... but they have to be rare, I was curious and found out that the seller was the producer of the very first 3 Stooges documentary ever.
Why You!

Offline garystooge

Sorry, but rare or not, those posters ain't worth $5,000 combined
Gary

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Out of curiosity Gary, how much would you say they are worth?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline garystooge

I would peg the "Goose" 1-sheet in the $500-1,000 range and the "Out West" in the $1,000-2,000 range. The photos aren't really good enough to gauge the condition and the seller doesn't say whether the posters have been linen-backed or not, and both of those factors are important in the valuation of one-sheets.
Gary

Pilsner Panther

I would peg the "Goose" 1-sheet in the $500-1,000 range and the "Out West" in the $1,000-2,000 range. The photos aren't really good enough to gauge the condition and the seller doesn't say whether the posters have been linen-backed or not, and both of those factors are important in the valuation of one-sheets.
Gary

Not that I have that kind of money, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't put it out for these posters without seeing more detailed photos. They look to be intact (no apparent torn edges or holes), but then you'd have to check to see if they had creases in them where they might have been folded for storage, how yellowed the paper might be, whether they had water stains or cockroach crap on them, etc. etc.

The seller is up front about one of them being water-stained, which is a good sign that the guy is honest. But I'd still want to see a better, large-format scan before I laid down my mazooma.

If they were in good condition and I had the $500-$2,000 bucks to spare (not $5000!), I'd definitely be tempted to bid. What could look more cool on your living room wall?

8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 07:11:15 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Very cool one-sheets, although I would want better scans as well before bidding.

The opening bid of $5K is beyond my budget but even if it wasn't, it would have to be 'Curly' one-sheet (realistically a latter-day one) for that kind of money.

Offline garystooge

Pils-
Just as an FYI, 1-sheet posters like these were typically folded as they came off the press. Because of their large size, this made it easier to transport them around the country. There would be 1 vertical fold and 3 horizontal folds and the presence of these folds is not considered a defect in the poster. Additional folds or creases however, would be considered defects. To reduce the visibility of the folds, some collectors have their posters dry-mounted onto a board (a common  practice back in the 1960's and 70's) or linen-backed (the more common practice for the last 20 years or so). 
Gary

kotumba

Gary is right.  Both posters have folding lines. "He cooked his goose" is mounted to a board, so the folding lines are not as visible as on the other one sheet, but they both have them. I am a collector of stooges memoribilia , I  paid  a lot of money  for those one sheets and have offers starting at that price range. (they are extremly rare and real collectors want to own them - that makes the high prize no matter how ridiculous that might sound). Heavy hearted I decided I could live without those two beauties, because I move into a place with less wall - space. For questions regarding details about the auction/item  please feel free to email me on ebay.

Offline garystooge

There's no problem with the fold lines Kotumba, but the fact that the "Goose" 1-sheet is mounted on a board is a material fact that I would suggest you disclose in the item description if you re-list the item. I say this because many serious collectors are leery of posters mounted in this manner. Many of us prefer these one-sheets in their original, unrestored condition. While they often look great, over time these board-mounted posters have a tendency to "wrinkle" or "bunch up". It's also very difficult to transport or ship them without doing damage to them because the rigid board can't be folded or rolled. But most importantly, once they've been mounted on a board, you can no longer feel the paper. Feeling the paper is one way to tell the difference between an original poster and a repro.
     By disclosing the fact that this poster is board-mounted, you will save yourself problems that could arise with an unsuspecting buyer. Since most 1-sheets are not board-mounted, the average person would never suspect that this poster was on a board without being told so. In fact,I was quite surprised when you mentioned it. Anyway, this is just my opinion....sorry you have to sell the posters and I hope you're able to find a nice home for them.
Gary

Pilsner Panther

Pils-
Just as an FYI, 1-sheet posters like these were typically folded as they came off the press. Because of their large size, this made it easier to transport them around the country. There would be 1 vertical fold and 3 horizontal folds and the presence of these folds is not considered a defect in the poster. Additional folds or creases however, would be considered defects. To reduce the visibility of the folds, some collectors have their posters dry-mounted onto a board (a common  practice back in the 1960's and 70's) or linen-backed (the more common practice for the last 20 years or so). 
Gary

That's what I love about this site, you never stop learning things! I wonder why the printers back then didn't think of rolling up the posters and shipping them in tubes? That way, they wouldn't have gotten any creases in them. They would have had a tendency to curl up (like a rug laid down by the Stooges), but since they were usually mounted behind glass in the theaters, that wouldn't have mattered.

???

Offline garystooge

One-sheets were printed on a flimsy paper stock ( for reasons of economy) that really wasn't conducive to being rolled. Plus, it's easier to store a large quantity of flat posters than rolled posters. But also remember that these posters were merely advertising material. They weren't fine art or collectible pieces back then so there was no concern about having folds in them. In later years, studios produced some 30x40 and 40x60 posters for feature films that were printed on a much heavier paper stock and were rolled instead of folded....but for the Stooges' Columbia shorts we're stuck with the visible folds.

By the way, for those of you who didn't want to drop $5,000 on these 2 posters, here's one currently listed on ebay with a $400-600 estimate ( although I'm fairly certain this one will top out over $1,000, especially since it's from an auction house that charges a 15% buyers premium).

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6516262577

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Pffft. Tubes handled by the post office?   :o

Several years ago GM had a recall on engine oil dipsticks that were too short. So to save money they mailed the replacements in cardboard tubes to the owners. The post office knuckleheads would fold the tubes in order to shove them in the mailboxes!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline 3Stooges

The "Fuelin Around" movie poster is actually a very nice one. I used to have one. It's a better image than those 2 posters for $5,000. No Shemp Poster is worth $5,000! For that kind of money, I'd hold out for a Curly.

The "Out West" Image looks very blurry. I noticed that about some of the one sheets. Sometimes, the image is crisp and some other posters have a blurry image.

There will be another Shemp poster on Ebay from EbayID "emovieposter.com" this week that's also a very good image and the bidding will probably start very low. It's "Shot in the Frontier". It's pretty cool. It has a cartoon drawing mixed in with the Stooges.

Here's a link to the image...

http://216.119.120.135/section_ebay/auction_images/shot_in_the_frontier_linen.jpg

Now, if I could just get my hands on a 30's poster!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
No poster is worth $5000, period.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline garystooge

If you're correct, then an awful lot of people have overpaid for posters.

Offline garystooge

There will be another Shemp poster on Ebay this week. It's "Shot in the Frontier".

Thanks for posting that link to the "Frontier" 1-sheet. It's clearly been restored and linen-backed. This is  a good example of the plusses and minuses of restoring and linen-backing a poster. One the plus side, it looks brand new and the folds have virtually disappeared. Of course on the minus side, it looks brand new, not like a 50-year old poster. The fact that it looks so good and you can't feel the paper make it difficult to tell if it's an original or a repro. Give me an old looking, warts and all poster any day. I never could understand why someone would want to make an old poster look like something brand new they just picked up at the mall down the street.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

If you're correct, then an awful lot of people have overpaid for posters.

Perhaps I should have said "I don't think any poster is worth $5000, whether it be of a Shemp or Curly short". I was responding to the previous post that they would pay $5000 for a Curly poster. I've got better things to drop $5000 on than a Three Stooges poster, no matter how nice it might be or how much I'd like to have it.

Offline 3Stooges

Gary,

Earlier you mentioned that sometimes it's hard to tell if a poster is an original or a repo once it's been linen backed or put on a board.

Since you have a lot of experience in poster collecting, how prevalent is it that people try to pass off copies as originals? I've never really heard of an instance of this happening with Stooge posters.

Offline garystooge

Since you have a lot of experience in poster collecting, how prevalent is it that people try to pass off copies as originals?

It's not prevalent....what's more likely is that someone who posseses a poster they believe to be an original unknowingly tries selling it as an original, when in fact it's a repro.  I've come across this situation 2 or 3 times in my 25 years of collecting. The seller honestly believed the posters to be original, but close inspection proved otherwise.

I'm much more concerned about repros floating around now than I was back in the early '80's. When I started collecting, Curly 1-sheets were only worth $100-200, not thousands of dollars like today, so there wasn't as much incentive to produce a repro. Also, technology back then wasn't as sophisticated as today...the average person didn't have access to digital imaging, laser printers etc.

Getting back to the paper, in one case I can remember about 15 years ago, the feel of the paper was a tipoff that I had unknowlingly purchased a repro. I bought a "Microphonies" 1-sheet thru the mail and as soon as it arrived I became suspicious because the paper looked unusually white. This isn't proof postitive because sometimes people have posters bleached to clean them up and remove stains. But having seen many many 1-sheets before, the whiteness of this one just raised a red flag. Then I felt the paper. It had an unusual waxy feel to it, unlike any other 1-sheets I had in my collection. Again, not proof positive because during WWII there were tremendous paper shortages and there was some variation in the type of paper used in printing 1-sheets, but this was clearly strike two.
Next I got out a photo of a "Microphonies" 1-sheet that my friend had sent me from his collection. I noticed that behind Larry's hair was a dark curtain as a backdrop. In the photo I could clearly see the line of delineation between Larry's hair and the curtain. But in the poster I had in front of me, the hair and curtain blended together...you couldn't tell where one ended and the other began. So I could actually see more detail in the photo than I could in the poster!! There's no way that a photo of a poster should have more clarity than the poster itself. That was strike three... combining all the info togther I knew this had to be a repro.
I was lucky in that the seller gave me my money back. He was not an experienced poster dealer and I have to say, that the overall quality of the poster was really quite good....something that could have easily fooled someone that didn't have the experience or availability of
a photo that I had. I don't believe he was trying to pull one over on me.
     Since then, I've always had a concern over mounted posters....because you can't feel the paper. If I'm going to drop big bucks on a poster I want to be sure it's real, and feeling the paper is just one step an experienced collector uses to gain some assurance about what he's buying.
Gary
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 09:30:17 AM by garystooge »

Offline garystooge