Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Joe Besser TV Pilot Discovery

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I don't know (at this time) the source of this find, but it's on youtube, and I saw it for the first time today when it was posted on Facebook by Drew Friedman.

A 1/2-hour, color, TV sitcom/musical pilot titled EVERYTHING HAPPENS TO MEL, starring Mel Torme, with Joe Besser.

Now looking for any background information, including the year of production, that anyone would like to share.

Part 1
[youtube=425,350]O4QTrKYxh-U[/youtube]
Part 2
[youtube=425,350]kZzhts6ppvk[/youtube]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Followup...

I'm pretty sure this is from early 1955, a year before Besser joined the Stooges. Did a google search on Vicki Young, and she had a Capitol 45rpm in early 1955 that sided both of the songs she sang in this pilot... "Tears on My Pillow" and "Tweedlee Dee." Further online info reveals Torme was with Capitol from 1949 - 1955; I'm guessing that Capitol Records had a hand in this TV pilot's production.

If anyone has a copy of Torme's autobiography It Wasn't All Velvet (1988), please check for additional information/clarifications.

Offline metaldams

There's got to be some type of Stooge sainthood for you, Brent.  Your research is incredible.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Followup...
If anyone has a copy of Torme's autobiography It Wasn't All Velvet (1988), please check for additional information/clarifications.
Good idea to check into Mel Torme's book to see if he says anything about the TV show "Everything Happens to Mel".
So I just did. I gave the book a good scrutiny (that's a good word for scrutiny!)
First I checked the index for all the relevant titles, names or other key words that might lead to references to the program. No matches. Then I read through the parts of the book that cover Mel's other TV programs and his activities during the 1950's. Again, no mention at all of any show called "Everything Happens to Mel" or anyone involved with it.

So either Mel had forgotten all about the show or thought it not worth mentioning, or maybe for some reason of his own didn't want to talk about it.

-- Rich Finegan