Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Crappiest Cartoon Studio

shemps#1 · 54 · 14095

Poll

Which studio released the worst cartoons?

Warner Bros.
0 (0%)
Disney
0 (0%)
MGM
2 (16.7%)
Hanna-Barbera
4 (33.3%)
Other (please specify)
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Offline Umbrella Sam

That’s easy — Filmation!

It’s funny, I was about to argue that Cambria and Syncro-Vox was worse, but then I saw INVASIONS OF THE BUNNY SNATCHERS again on METV today and remembered that they were indirectly responsible for this hilarious scene:

So, yeah, I think you’re right; definitely Filmation.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

I was writing a book on the Golden Age of Animation last year (now defunct), and I watched EVERY Mintz Krazy Kat. Let's never try that again.

That does sound like torture, lol. It’s strange because Krazy Kat was one of the most popular comic strips of that time, so it should have been much better, but one gets the feeling that Mintz was kicking himself for losing Walt Disney when watching them.

That’s interesting you were writing a book. If you don’t mind me asking, what was it going to be about? Was it an overall analysis and/or reviews of the cartoons from that era?
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline PeteHale

• Tearer of Tonsils
  • Grapehead
  • Cartoonist
    • Golden Age of Animation
That does sound like torture, lol. It’s strange because Krazy Kat was one of the most popular comic strips of that time, so it should have been much better, but one gets the feeling that Mintz was kicking himself for losing Walt Disney when watching them.

That’s interesting you were writing a book. If you don’t mind me asking, what was it going to be about? Was it an overall analysis and/or reviews of the cartoons from that era?
I don't mind you asking; happy to share about it!

I intended it as a full history of the Golden Age with a deeper focus than the Maltin or Barrier books, trying to connect their personalities and the ways they made their films. The theme was how animation is the most creative art form there is, and how this era used it best.

I wanted to give broader focus to the B studios but I found out why nobody else does: there is simply not enough info on them, and in the long run Mintz and all didn't exactly leave a huge impact on animation, the same way that a Civil War history would probably talk more about Gettysburg than Mine Run. I mainly wanted to give Disney, WB, MGM, UPA Fleischer and Lantz full coverage.

I even got in contact with animator Willie Ito, who told me about Termite Terrace! (Greatest email I ever got.) Mark Kausler also had a few good ancedotes. Greg Ford said he was to supply his Freleng and unit interviews but he has yet to reply back after I responded.

I cancelled it simply because it took up too much time I needed to spend on other things, particularly getting my cartooning career on its feet. In some ways it felt like an emancipation when I cancelled it, like my life was reborn. I was not able to enjoy cartoons for five months because it took a toll on my thinking--I always had to think: "How will this play into my book?" Now I can watch them again, thank goodness!

I'll share with you some of my more useful new info in private message when I get a chance.

Offline PeteHale

• Tearer of Tonsils
  • Grapehead
  • Cartoonist
    • Golden Age of Animation
It’s funny, I was about to argue that Cambria and Syncro-Vox was worse, but then I saw INVASIONS OF THE BUNNY SNATCHERS again on METV today and remembered that they were indirectly responsible for this hilarious scene:

So, yeah, I think you’re right; definitely Filmation.
That and Carrotoblanca are the top of classic animation revivals. Disney had some good ones, like Mickey's Christmas Carol, The Prince and the Pauper, and Runaway Brain. One of my favorite ones: