Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2000 Music Thread

Curly4444 · 77 · 15750

Offline metaldams

OK, if we can have 2000's Rush, and there's nothing wrong with that, here's Iron Maiden, who have emerged with their silver era in the 2000's.  Epic stuff here, and if anybody sits through all four of these and enjoys (Maiden can be lengthy), personal message me, because you have good taste.

[youtube=425,350]WddjLLFxoow[/youtube]

"The Wicker Man"

[youtube=425,350]YpgZajJ4Rog[/youtube]

"Paschendale"

[youtube=425,350]DDK0Se17FOU[/youtube]

"The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg"

[youtube=425,350]PF7s1esAptg[/youtube]

"When The Wild Wind Blows"
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Hey metaldams, what did you think of James Durbin's performance on idol?? He sang that song from the movie Heavy Metal.

[youtube=425,350]0CN0hCvDpCk[/youtube]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
OK, if Doug says anything other than "that sucked" or some variation thereof he not only loses credibility in the world of Metal fandom he also must hand in his Man Card.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

....but on second thought, something to compare it to?  Curly4444, I challenge you to watch that James Durbin clip again then watch any of those Iron Maiden clips I posted in this thread.  You'll see a fan getting national TV exposure doing karaoke vs. a genuinely legendary metal band.  Jim, you aren't even into Iron Maiden, but I'm sure even you can tell the quality difference.  It would be like comparing Ronnie and the Redcaps "What I'd Say" to Ray Charles.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....but on second thought, something to compare it to?  Curly4444, I challenge you to watch that James Durbin clip again then watch any of those Iron Maiden clips I posted in this thread.  You'll see a fan getting national TV exposure doing karaoke vs. a genuinely legendary metal band.  Jim, you aren't even into Iron Maiden, but I'm sure even you can tell the quality difference.  It would be like comparing Ronnie and the Redcaps "What I'd Say" to Ray Charles.

Well she-it, I thought I made another post before this, but it never posted.  What I basically said is I'm not familiar with the original because I've never owned the Heavy Metal soundtrack and only saw the movie once when i was in high school.  I give him credit for playing something I don't know on national TV, because when it comes to classic 70's and 80's heavy metal, I'm hard to stump.  I admit Sammy Hagar solo is not my specialty beyong "I Can't Drive 55."

I said Durbin was technically competent and probably a genuine metal fan, but not much else, just like AI as a whole.  A karaoke performance.  If he covered Black Sabbath's "Mob Rules," also on the Heavy Metal soundtrack, I'd probably be way more critical because I'd have the original to compare it too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Curly4444, I challenge you to watch that James Durbin clip again then watch any of those Iron Maiden clips I posted in this thread.

Well of course if you do that it will suck. Iron Maiden is one of the best in metal, and this guys just starting out. I could do karaoke too, but i couldn't hit those high notes. Hell probably never go anywhere, but its good to see that kinds of music on that show instead of all that pop shit.

Offline metaldams

but its good to see that kinds of music on that show instead of all that pop shit.

It's good in theory, but it reality the only kind of metal that can emerge from American Idol will be watered down.  Iron Maiden started out busting their ass through club gigs and an indifferent punk scene, writing their own material and getting noticed five years later. They have been a successful band worldwide for 30 years.  That kind of journey doesn't exist anymore.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
You are so lucky you're a girl, otherwise I'd seriously clown you for your musical taste.
Do it anyway.  I was always a BSB fan, but I loathed N*SYNC after the 90s.  I only got back into them because two girls on my floor keep listening to them.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Rich Finegan

Being into the "oldies" I rarely find much I like after the 1970's.
But I love the sound of this relatively new group: Xylos.
Here are two of my favorites.

"Not Enough":

"Second Order":

&feature=related

Anyone who misses the good old music when there were real melodies, good singing and talented writing, I recommend these.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You're right Doug: I'm not an Iron Maiden fan by any stretch of the imagination, nor am I a fan of Sammy Hagar solo, Van Halen no matter who is singing lead, or the song in general. You're also right that even though I am not fans of those artists I can tell that they are far and away better than this American Idol douche bag. That is the main reason why I won't ever watch that stupid show for a full episode (I have heard glimpses as my mother was a fan and I have had friends who were/are fans); these kids are simply not talented.

It's quite telling that the most successful of the Idol alum have gone on to do Country. Country music as it is today has become soulless, jingoistic, Corporate Machine-made tripe with a fine coat of gloss and that is the kind of shit they try to do on this show. It doesn't matter if these contestants can't do more than sing karaoke because the modern country loving, flag waving, Bible banging, Toby Keith worshiping, "love it or leave it" types have no ear for good music no matter what the genre. The Outlaws of Country like Johnny, Willie, Waylon etc. wouldn't be able to score a record deal if they were coming up in modern times. 

Liz, what I meant is that the Backstreet Boys type of music (which is absolutely rancid) was made for pre-teen little girls (which I am guessing you were when it came out) so I can't really clown you for it. It was made for you and you liked it. If you were older or male I would seriously be clowning you for it.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
Liz, what I meant is that the Backstreet Boys type of music (which is absolutely rancid) was made for pre-teen little girls (which I am guessing you were when it came out) so I can't really clown you for it. It was made for you and you liked it. If you were older or male I would seriously be clowning you for it.
9-10 years old and in 4th grade.  Had the best teacher in the world. ;D

And that's the only reason I still listen to them (and N*SYNC) now.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

9-10 years old and in 4th grade.  Had the best teacher in the world. ;D

And that's the only reason I still listen to them (and N*SYNC) now.

I was in college.  Shit, you make me feel old.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I was in college.  Shit, you make me feel old.

Think about how I feel - I'm old enough to be Liz's grandfather!   [faint2]

Offline metaldams

Think about how I feel - I'm old enough to be Liz's grandfather!   [faint2]

You're what, mid 50's?  She's 19?  That's about a 35 year age difference.  I'm 32, so please don't say you're old enough to be her grandfather.

Though come to think of it, biologically, I'm even old enough to be a grandfather.  I guess it's possible for a 16 year old to have a child and their child in turn becomes a parent at 16.  Yeesh, I could be Grandpa Metal.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Think about how I feel - I'm old enough to be Liz's grandfather!   [faint2]

Do you need one of these grandpa??

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
lol.  4th grade for me was when, 01-02?  Jeezus, and here I am.  Who would've thought?
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
lol.  4th grade for me was when, 01-02?  Jeezus, and here I am.  Who would've thought?

You pipe down, Junior. Pass the Metamucil Doug, men our age need to stay regular ya know.

Offline metaldams

You pipe down, Junior. Pass the Metamucil Doug, men our age need to stay regular ya know.

Seriously man, these kids today think they know it all, but they're nothing but punks who need to be humbled (where's an Iron Sheik smiley when you need one).  People of our generation having fucking morals, we know how to behave.  We tip our strippers properly.  Shit man, don't get me started on the downfall of society.  These kids today think they're all cool because they steal their video games and get them digitally.  Why shit...it took us 10 minutes just to get one of them darn fangled Nintendo cartdriges working, blowing the dust out of the games, blowing them out of the console, yelling at a green screen when all we wanted to do was play Zelda....why we have stronger lungs then these kids today, blowin' into them Nintendo games the way we did  ....and I remember when MTV played music....why shit, we really are the greatest generation.   
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Seriously man, these kids today think they know it all, but they're nothing but punks who need to be humbled (where's an Iron Sheik smiley when you need one).  People of our generation having fucking morals, we know how to behave.  We tip our strippers properly.  Shit man, don't get me started on the downfall of society.  These kids today think they're all cool because they steal their video games and get them digitally.  Why shit...it took us 10 minutes just to get one of them darn fangled Nintendo cartdriges working, blowing the dust out of the games, blowing them out of the console, yelling at a green screen when all we wanted to do was play Zelda....why we have stronger lungs then these kids today, blowin' into them Nintendo games the way we did  ....and I remember when MTV played music....why shit, we really are the greatest generation.  

Hahaha, someone sounds like their old man.  ;D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well I played Dio's "Rainbow" on Rock Band 3 and I have to say it is not the worst song in the world nor is it the worst song in the game.

Blowing into cartridges does take me back.

Offline Curly4444

Well I played Dio's "Rainbow" on Rock Band 3 and I have to say it is not the worst song in the world nor is it the worst song in the game.

Blowing into cartridges does take me back.

I didn't blow into them. I had special cleaner tools that worked like a charm.

Offline Liz

• Puddinhead
hahahaha, you guys.

And Quad 4, blowing into N64 cartridges was a pain in the ass.  I still do it all the time when I feel like playing the old thing.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline JazzBill

yelling at a green screen when all we wanted to do was play Zelda  

I was so hooked on Zelda, I'd stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning playing and go to work 6 am. It took me about 3 weeks to get to the end of that game. Actually, now that I think about, I also remember being 3 or 4 days into the game and have the cartridge screw up and have to start from the beginning.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Curly4444

And Quad 4, blowing into N64 cartridges was a pain in the ass.  I still do it all the time when I feel like playing the old thing.

I never had a problem with N64 or super Nintendo cartridges, not one. It was always the 8-bit nes ones.

Actually, now that I think about, I also remember being 3 or 4 days into the game and have the cartridge screw up and have to start from the beginning.

Thats strange, never heard of a cartridge screw up, erasing your game data. If it was the 8-bit Nintendo, you were suppose to hold the reset while you turned off the power. Maybe you forgot that?

Offline JazzBill

Thats strange, never heard of a cartridge screw up, erasing your game data. If it was the 8-bit Nintendo, you were suppose to hold the reset while you turned off the power. Maybe you forgot that?

That might have been it, it's too long ago to remember all the details. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".