Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2011 MLB Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 884 · 185189

Offline metaldams

Manny Ramirez has announced his retirement?  That's what blogs are saying, anyway.  My Lord.  Anyway, a great hitter and a total headcase.  I try my best as a Sox fan to remember the good times. *

Now can Bard and Papelbon hold a one run lead?  Nice job by Aceves and Jenks, the first time Red Sox relievers have pitched with a lead all season.

* Upon further reading, it appears he has failed another drug test and instead of facing a suspension, he's retiring.  If true, unbelievable, and incredibly sad.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
While it does look like a shitty end to the career of one of the best hitters of his era I can't say I blame him. If he sticks around he gets a 100 game suspension which is most of the season and he isn't getting younger.

Here comes Papelbon.

It was funny, I was listening to a sports talk show and the guy said "Red Sox fans don't hit the panic button, Rays fans DO hit the panic button". BTW, I think my baseball game adjusts for real life, the Orioles of all teams are giving me trouble.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Great job by the offense, great job by the bullpen, and somehow, they award Lackey the win.  Who says life's fair?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

While it does look like a shitty end to the career of one of the best hitters of his era I can't say I blame him. If he sticks around he gets a 100 game suspension which is most of the season and he isn't getting younger.

Isn't this the 2nd time he got caught? What a dumb fuck! He would have been great without the roids, what a waste. Just like Bonds. Bonds was a sure bet for the HOF even before he started juicing.   
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The HOF is a joke anyway. I would not leave it up to a bunch of jaded, jock sniffing baseball writers to decide who goes into the HOF, especially on some bullshit moral grounds. Mark McGuire deserves to be in although he juiced...almost everyone was juicing at the time and he and Sosa saved the game with their home run chase.

Besides, all though this has nothing to do with writers, a baseball HOF without Pete Rose in it is not complete.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

The HOF is a joke anyway. I would not leave it up to a bunch of jaded, jock sniffing baseball writers to decide who goes into the HOF, especially on some bullshit moral grounds. Mark McGuire deserves to be in although he juiced...almost everyone was juicing at the time and he and Sosa saved the game with their home run chase.

Besides, all though this has nothing to do with writers, a baseball HOF without Pete Rose in it is not complete.

I agree with you on the HOF and Pete Rose but not Sosa. Not only did he juice up but they caught him using a corked bat. I also agree that a lot of them cheated but a lot them didn't. Guy's like Frank Thomas and Jim Thome were cheated out MVP's and home run titles because of the cheaters.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'll bet anything those guys juiced but just didn't get caught. I remember them both having Popeye arms...especially Thome.

Offline FineBari3

I will be going to the Pirate game tomorrow (Sunday).  I have been boycotting the Buccos for about two years now, but these tickets were given to me.  It's going to be almost 80 here tomorrow, so it will be nice to get out and see them before they get eliminated in July.

Actually, we are looking good right now, and have a new skipper with lots of enthusiasm. Hey, we're 5 and 3!

As to the juicing comments, we all can't stand Barry Bonds in Pittsburgh! I love this picture, taken in Philadelphia, I believe.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Boid Brain

I will be going to the Pirate game tomorrow (Sunday).  I have been boycotting the Buccos for about two years now, but these tickets were given to me.  It's going to be almost 80 here tomorrow, so it will be nice to get out and see them before they get eliminated in July.

Actually, we are looking good right now, and have a new skipper with lots of enthusiasm. Hey, we're 5 and 3!

As to the juicing comments, we all can't stand Barry Bonds in Pittsburgh! I love this picture, taken in Philadelphia, I believe.
Well, if your Pirates played 162 games vs. the Cards you would have a 110 win season!

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Jesus, what is going on with Boston?
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

Jesus, what is going on with Boston?

One good start (Lester Vs. Cleveland) and half the line-up not hitting.  Let's hope they can turn it around soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

That was Josh Beckett's greatest and most clutch performance since the 2007 playoffs.  Brilliant.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Two good starts now as Beckett was lights out tonight. The Sox really needed that, but it should have been a 9-0 game considering all of the base runners they had. A win is a win though.

Offline metaldams

Two good starts now as Beckett was lights out tonight. The Sox really needed that, but it should have been a 9-0 game considering all of the base runners they had. A win is a win though.

Agreed.  This team needs to hit better with RISP.  Crawford had another 0 for night, but he at least hit the ball hard a couple of times.  I know he'll come around, I just hope it's soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Beckett had a great fastball last night. It seemed to explode on the hitters at times and seemed to have a lot of late life to it.

Offline metaldams

Beckett had a great fastball last night. It seemed to explode on the hitters at times and seemed to have a lot of late life to it.

Beckett had great EVERYTHING last night.  I think he had all four pitches working, being the 4 seam, cutter, change and curve.  He was mixing things up real well, and that was the nastiest I've seen him look in years.  If he can keep that up, this may be a good season after all.

...and how about Papelbon?  Two innings against the Yankees and not a single base runner.

As for the new ESPN announcers, for years it was overly dramatic Derek Jeter worship, but I believe a new era is beginning.  Overly dramatic Dustin Pedroia worship.  That's fine with me.  Both second basemen were awesome this weekend, and I wish Boston would quit pitching to Cano.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'm watching LAD-SF at the moment and Kershaw has shut down the Giants so far. Bumgarner for SF has had two disappointing outings to begin the year.

Even at 84, Vin Scully still has it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Perhaps all of Dice-K's starts should have an 11:00 am start time. He's been stellar today.

Offline metaldams

Perhaps all of Dice-K's starts should have an 11:00 am start time. He's been stellar today.

Dice-K can be great or suck.  My parents were both at the games last year in Philly where he took the no hitter in the 8th and and at the game the year before where he imploded in Boston against The Braves and went on the DL right after.  That about sums up Dice-K's career.

My new proposed Red Sox line-up

1. Lowrie
2. Lowrie
3. Lowrie
4. Lowrie
5. Lowrie
6. Lowrie
7. Lowrie
8. Lowrie
9. Lowrie

Bugs Bunny's got nothing on this guy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Dice-K with back-to-back stellar outings...when was the last time that happened? I'm glad to see the team has woken up.

Offline metaldams

Dice-K with back-to-back stellar outings...when was the last time that happened? I'm glad to see the team has woken up.

Yeah, I got to watch it on MLB Network, he was nasty.  2 hits in his last 15 innings, that's insane.  I hope he stays this way.  Let's hope Lackey can build on his last performance tomorrow and get some runs this time.

What's most amazing is that even with a loss tomorrow, Boston will have a winning record on a west coast trip.  That's incredibly rare.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What's funny is that all the talk about the rotation has centered around Lester and Buchholz and while they have done good jobs of late it's been Beckett and Dice-K who have been the best recently.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
As an aside while the Angels crew deals with rain for the first time ever, ESPN is showing a rare game that does not include the Red Sox/Yankees/Phillies/Cubs/Mets with the Cardinals and Reds tonight, and even though I'm not a fan of either team I think I'll watch it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Another day another great performance by Red Sox starting pitching. I can get used to this.

Offline metaldams

Another day another great performance by Red Sox starting pitching. I can get used to this.

Buchholz hasn't looked great but he's been passable and for whatever reason I hear he wasn't as stretched out as the others during spring training.  I'm sure he'll pick things up.  Lester is about at 85%, but even when he hasn't been at his best he's still getting the big outs.  He should have a monster year, as he's usually a slow starter.  This has been a great April for him.  Beckett has been very promising, Dice-K's been incredible his last two starts, and Lackey had a good west coast stand as well.  Fingers crossed things can stay like this all year.

Yeah, but seriously, 2 shut outs in a row, and Crawford finally raked one.  He's looked great the past couple of games, I knew he'd come around.  I'm still a tad concerned with our catcher (I won't learn to spell the guy's name until he does something worthwhile), both offensively and defensively, but other than that, the team is looking great now. 
- Doug Sarnecky