Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Mantan Moreland: The Stooge That Almost Was

Offline 7stooges

I found this interesting article on the great Mantan Moreland, and the story behind how he almost became Shemp's replacement in 1955. What's also interesting is Moe's comment on Joe Besser.

http://cravenlovelace.com/cravenblog/2008/08/the-stooge-that-almost-was/

More details on Moe's thoughts about Mantan.
http://kevinsmoviecorner.blogspot.com/2010/02/mantan-funnyman.html

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Quote from: Kevin's Movie Corner
Price interviewed Moe Howard in 1973 who had this to say about Mantan Moreland replacing Shemp: “We really should’ a’ made Mantan Moreland our next third Stooge back when my brother Shemp cashed in (in 1955). They’d worked together, y’know, and Shemp actually had recommended Mantan if the need should ever, God forbid, arise.

“Mantan was responsive, when Larry (Fine) and I talked the idea over with him. I mean, we’d all seen our better days by that time, but ol’ Moreland, - now there was a talent that could’ a’ invigorated the whole act! He had the word play – you ever heard him do that ‘anticipation’ routine, where he and one or another of his partners finished each other’s sentences? – and he had the physical shtick, the jive moves and double take receptions that would’ a’ filled in the gaps when Jerome (Curly) and Shemp had kept covered.  (Emphasis added.)

“But of course Columbia (Pictures’ management) demanded a white guy, because they’d apparently been scared off of Mantan, and we ended up with that prissy damned Joe Besser, who was whatcha might call a pain…I’ve always thought what a great act the Stooges could’ a’ stayed for a while, if only we’d’ a’ gone with Mantan.”

The more I think about it the more I think that Moe had it right - Mantan Moreland would have completely re-invigorated the Stooges.  He would have been so much better for the team in its final years, compared to Besser and DeRita.  It's really a pity that it never came to pass.

"According to Moe, Besser was 'a hired hand, a prissy little snot with a star ego, who made it plain that he considered our stuff a demotion.'"

"...we ended up with that prissy damned Joe Besser, who was whatcha might call a pain."

That's what Moe had to say about Joe?

Wow... I think my appreciation for Moe, Joe, and the Stooges in general just took a dive.  :-\

And speaking of considering the Stooges a "demotion," didn't Curly-Joe make it really clear he felt that way? Or maybe he just waited until Moe wasn't around to say something about it. At least Besser seems to have eventually changed his attitude about that.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Dog Hambone

We just touched on this very same subject under the heading "Ask Team Stooge **Newbies*".

In 1955, having Moreland join the team would have been way ahead of its time. I applaud Moe for not being afraid to consider including a black performer in the act. It's a shame the studio execs were so afraid to take a chance. Oh well, it's the golden rule again; he who has the gold makes the rules.   

Offline Boid Brain

His bugeyed routine was priceless...I spotted him last nite in an
early comedy with Claudett Colbert, Rudy Valle and the guy from "Sullivans Travels"....he was one of about 5 porters on a train in ONE scene, no lines and was only on the screne for 3 seconds!

I didn't catch the name of the film. :-[

Offline strubachinkoscow

Hi guys,

I sincerely hope that this doesn't stir up a hornets nest, but - while I wholeheartedly
agree that Mantan Moreland would be a fantastic replacement - just think
about this angle - Old Jewish white guy verbally and physically abusing
a black man.

Think of the heyday and outrage this would have ultimately
caused during the civil rights movements. Could it have suppressed the
re-surgence of the stooges? In my state, I was a very nascent stooge
fan at the age of 12 when UHF channel 52 started re-broadcasting them
and I became a full fan. There were similar re-surgences on TV in the
70's ( KCOP Ch 13 ) and in the 80's ( KTLA Ch 5). Would these have been
even possible if Mantan had become a 3rd stooge? Or would they have
gone the way of Amos and Andy - Pariahs with copies only available
by bootleg.  My $0.02. Maybe in the big picture Joe and Curly-Joe
weren't as bad as we often make them out to be.
How do you like that? I'm dancin to the trombone part!

Offline Boid Brain

Hi guys,

I sincerely hope that this doesn't stir up a hornets nest, but - while I wholeheartedly
agree that Mantan Moreland would be a fantastic replacement - just think
about this angle - Old Jewish white guy verbally and physically abusing
a black man.

Think of the heyday and outrage this would have ultimately
caused during the civil rights movements. Could it have suppressed the
re-surgence of the stooges? In my state, I was a very nascent stooge
fan at the age of 12 when UHF channel 52 started re-broadcasting them
and I became a full fan. There were similar re-surgences on TV in the
70's ( KCOP Ch 13 ) and in the 80's ( KTLA Ch 5). Would these have been
even possible if Mantan had become a 3rd stooge? Or would they have
gone the way of Amos and Andy - Pariahs with copies only available
by bootleg.  My $0.02. Maybe in the big picture Joe and Curly-Joe
weren't as bad as we often make them out to be.
You have a point! But if he was dishing it out too...who knows?

Dog Hambone

...while I wholeheartedly agree that Mantan Moreland would be a fantastic replacement - just think
about this angle - Old Jewish white guy verbally and physically abusing a black man.

You have an excellent point there. Imagine what the Politically Incorrect Police could have done with that one!

BTW, you can buy Amos & Andy boxed sets on Amazon & also watch them on YouTube...

Offline strubachinkoscow

You have an excellent point there. Imagine what the Politically Incorrect Police could have done with that one!

BTW, you can buy Amos & Andy boxed sets on Amazon & also watch them on YouTube...

Thanks Boidbrain and Doghambone.
Also thanks for the tip for Amos and Andy on Amazon.
How do you like that? I'm dancin to the trombone part!